BCB 100 - The Stone Roses

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Jun 2006, 12:46

The Red Heifer wrote:
Penk wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:They call it Fools Gold for a reason.

Yes, it's because that's what the lyrics are. :wink:

Good to see someone got it :lol:

Lyrics!!??!!!

I didn't even know that song had lyrics!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 29 Jun 2006, 12:48

I'd never thought of that before, but am now going to use it whenever i'm in a discussion about music. Which very often includes the Stone Roses, due to my friends and their musical preferences.

Thanks.

Next time the Stone Roses are mentioned, I'll ask everyone's fav song. Some plonker will plump for 'Pyrite'. :lol: :oops:

I will then quip (preferably with one or more attractive girls present):

'They call it that for a reason you know'

Then hopefully if I execute it well, I will appear to be exceedingly witty.

Or it may backfire when everyone else agrees that it's their fav too. :?
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 29 Jun 2006, 13:01

I cant see how this band, and this album can be criticised, to be honest.
A breath of fresh air after the turgid synth driven pop of the 80's.Light and melodic, and YAY! Guitars!!!!
Fools Gold, Waterfall,Resurrection (although I liked the Freebird comparison) and Tears (from the second album) are all great tracks, but Made of Stone is the winner.
Bless the weather.......Image

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 29 Jun 2006, 15:29

Baron The Lesser wrote:Everyone who paid attention to music knew about it and loved The Stone Roses. No, it wasn't a pop phenomenon like Green Day or Nirvana would be, but the kids who bought records had it and loved it. And this was in lame-ass, small town South Texas. I had it on tape and wore that sucker out.

I kind of hinted at the fact that only music lovers really know about it but wasn't entirely clear. I was just pointing out that it is in no way overrated over here. More of a cult record than anything.

But yeah, my experience was similar to yours but unlike you, I had to wait years before I could get my hands on a copy. I just had taped the singles off of MTV's 120 minutes and had to make do with that (same with the Happy Mondays). :(

I think I actually broke down and special ordered the CD around the mid-90's.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Jun 2006, 09:55

I never owned a cd copy of it and didn't until the erstwhile Mrs the Slider moved here from rural Illinois - and brought her copy with her.
And no-one could call her tuned-in.

Mind, she did hang out at some groovy clubs in Chicago occasionally so maybe that is where she picked up on it.
Actually, come to think of it, she probably picked up on it from me when she was here on holiday.

So forget that one. :lol:
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Jun 2006, 09:56

King John Coan wrote:
The Slider wrote:Shut up, fool.

:shock:

Sorry - there isn't a Mr T emoticon in this board's software.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 30 Jun 2006, 10:04

I forgot to add that the original 12" release of "Fool's Gold" is almost prog-like in its length. There was something about a guitar band releasing a 10 minute "Dance" single that hadn't been done before.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Jun 2006, 10:12

Yeah, but there isn't even two minutes worth of song in it.

I don't care for it much. Or One Love.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 30 Jun 2006, 10:19

The Slider wrote:Yeah, but there isn't even two minutes worth of song in it.

Is that crucial in a dance track though?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jun 2006, 10:28

andymacandy wrote:

I think it was very catchy, but not in a conventional verse -chorus song way.
It is all about the interplay between guitar and bass, and the groove. I know some find it monotonous, but I found, and still do, it utterly hypnotic.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Jun 2006, 10:32

andymacandy wrote:

Depends on whether you are listening to it or dancing to it.

I have very little room in my life for things which are functional without being aesthetically pleasing.
Utility art in particular.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 30 Jun 2006, 10:40

The Slider wrote:
andymacandy wrote:

Depends on whether you are listening to it or dancing to it.

I have very little room in my life for things which are functional without being aesthetically pleasing.
Utility art in particular.

Well, at least they were considerate enough to produce a three minute version, which is close enough to your "two minutes of tune" for those that just want the essence of it, and a ten minute version for those that cant remember falling around helplessly in clubs.
Lets be honest, Stone Roses are very much about "feel" arent they?

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 30 Jun 2006, 10:49

A lot of songs could be 'caputred' in 20 seconds if we're honest.

'Subterranean Homesick Blues', 20 second summary, 'Johnny's in the basement....' that'll do, we get the idea Bob. :lol:
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 30 Jun 2006, 11:06

I think again, as I have pointed out before, is that Fools Gold sums up, for me personally, their beauty, in that they transformed so spectacularly into a funk bank with "Fool's Gold" from the Byrdsian Pop of the summer of '89 to November '89. They had seen the change afoot in music, and grasped it brilliantly. For all the other bands who tried to straddle rock and dance, and most failed miserably, none did it with such aplomb. The Mondays had their own unique form, but it was stuttering and I think, on the Oakenfold-produced "Pills n Thrills" far too clinical in its production. "Hallelujah" and "WFL" are tracks I've never really grown to like. Primal Scream did "Higher than the Sun" which is a magnificent track, but the work of Jah Wobble and Andy Weatherall is plain to see.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jun 2006, 13:01

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
andymacandy wrote:

I think it was very catchy, but not in a conventional verse -chorus song way.
It is all about the interplay between guitar and bass, and the groove. I know some find it monotonous, but I found, and still do, it utterly hypnotic.

I concur. It's tremendous.

I think my fave track might be "I Am The Resurrection." I don't much care for the first half of it, but I like it when it slides into the jivey bits out of nowhere.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 01 Jul 2006, 13:39

More war stories: I remember getting the LP on the back of a gathering NME hype in mid 89 expecting more Mighty Lemon Drops or, hopeing against hope, another House of Love. It was shatteringly brilliant. In a matter of weeks I changed my wardrobe, haircut, the other records I was listening to and clubs I went to.

And then Fool's Gold, a record I never need to listen to again, came out. Hearing it early on, full blast and getting carried away on those hypnotic grooves, after the post-Smiths malaise of the UK music scene, was stunning and opened up a whole new world for many.

And there's people who say they weren't important.

Sure, the LP is possibly not the 5th greatest of all time, and there's been a lot of tedious wank written about them by journalists you know did not get it. But they're still the Stone Roses.

Second Coming is almost like another band; it's ok but generally underwhelming; some decent stuff (Breaking Into Heaven) and some tosh. This is not relevant.

LP: what do you think?
Song: Fool's Gold

Prograstinator

Postby Prograstinator » 01 Jul 2006, 13:43

Leg of lamb wrote:
django wrote:Album - The first one.

Track - Waterfall

I think you probably did have to be there, but luckily I was. Every now and then it's my favourite album of all time.

Well, that will do it for me. I could imagine getting caught up in it and every so often I do just that - still, it feels a little dishonest for me to jump in with the proselytisers when I wasn't actually there!

'Waterfall' is a joy. Surely everyone can see that? A sheer, shimmering beaut of a song.

"So good to have equalised, to lift up the lids of your eyes" Can't be beaten.

garethac81

Re: BCB 100 - The Stone Roses

Postby garethac81 » 05 Jun 2011, 21:28

When even the most diehard Roses fan would be hard pressed to deny that they had ONE decent album and a rubbish singer, how this band merits a place on any top 100 list is beyond me.
"I'm going to hell...and I'm dragging the audience to hell with me." - Jerry Lee Lewis

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: BCB 100 - The Stone Roses

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Jun 2011, 04:01

garethac81 wrote:When even the most diehard Roses fan would be hard pressed to deny that they had ONE decent album and a rubbish singer, how this band merits a place on any top 100 list is beyond me.

Because their "ONE decent album" is much better than decent.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

BCB 100: The Stone Roses

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2018, 07:04

Bungo the Mungo wrote:
The Slider wrote:I had stopped listening to pop music for about 5 years by 1989.
It was tired and boring and I was getting far far more out of other areas of music.
Then I heard Elephant Stone on the radio (followed by there She Goes by the Las) at work and everything suddenly changed again.

I was just playing the album at the gym this morning on my iPod and time and time again - even 17 years later - it just floors me.

I don't care for the singles between the albums too much (though I like some of the earlier ones like Sally Cinamon) and I verge on disliking Second Coming but the 12 songs on that debut album are fucking gobsmacking.
Is there a more uplifiting moment in all music than when the chorus finally appears in I Am The Resurrection?
Is there fuck.

Song: She Bangs the Drums

You surprise me.

'Sally Cinnamon'? For fuck's sake, man! Lazy, wimpy, half-arsed stude pop.

And we have here decreed, en masse, and several times before, that 'The Stone Roses' is the most overrated album of all time. Your contrary stance doesn't do you any favours this time round, fella-me-lad! :P

Have you changed your mind on The Stone Roses John?

Return to “BCB 100”