BCB 100 - The Stone Roses

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Jun 2006, 20:43

The Slider wrote:Shut up, fool.

:shock:

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 28 Jun 2006, 20:46

King John Coan wrote:
The Slider wrote:Shut up, fool.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 28 Jun 2006, 22:32

I'm loving this board :D

Fantastic band, the first album is needless to say a 10/10 all time masterpiece. And the non-lp singles surrounding it, combined with the b-sides (all compiled on 'The Complete Stone Roses') are in my opinion, equally great. Couldn't fault a single track, even 'So Young/Tell Me' sound magic to me.

THose 25 or so tracks cement them as one of the greatest bands of all time. If they'd spread those songs over a dozen albums, people would be raving about their consistent brilliance.

Those two 'albums' are like bags of midget gems with just the red ones. Or whichever your favourite are.

Then there's 'Second Coming'. Compared to its predecessor it is a spectacular fuck up, and I'd give it 7/10. It has a couple of gems - 'Driving South' and 'Begging You', but yes, it is a disaster.

Favourite song: Where Angels Play / Mersey Paradise

Both b-sides.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jun 2006, 22:42

They shouldn't be important, but somehow they are. In terms of bands who fully understood the power of chiming chords with catchy and defiant songs -well they're up there with anyone.
I can't begin to describe how bored I was with the Creation style bands doing a diluted version of the sixties but missing the crucial 60's ingrediants of melody. attitude and imagination. They thought strumming some dull song under bowlcuts was enough. Initially I was very happy to see The Stone Roses as more of the same.
I was won over, as most people were, by the sheer immediacy and confidence of the album. It stood out, I have rarely heard a collection of melodies that good since on one album.

Beno

Postby Beno » 28 Jun 2006, 23:27

The debut album really was great wasn't it. The first three tracks fit together perfectly making the album opening as good as anything I've ever heard. It becomes a bit less distinctive after that, still good tunes but merely ordinary, before storming back with the closer.

Favourite track, could be any of the four I've highlighted above, but I'll probably go for 'I Wanna Be Adored' as it sets the tone for the album magnificently.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 29 Jun 2006, 00:05

I'm a little worried by how much I'm agreeing with Coan these days. I really tried to get into this band, but it just never clicked.

I loved the late 80s - dance culture was so exciting that it felt like all grey rock was finally being extinguished. And I loved Happy Mondays for fusing the wanton excitement of dance with a cheeky indie attitude.

And this bunch came and ruined everything with a grey, grey record. From here, it was only a short step to the conservatism of Oasis and Britpop. Am I being unfair? Actually, "Made Of Stone" is stunning - the moment that justifies their existence. "Fool's Gold" is passable too - nice bassline. "Waterfall" is pretty nifty. But "She Bangs The Drums" is tedious jangle, "Sugar Spun Sister" is just plodding, and "I Am The Resurrection" is the "Freebird" of the 80s.

They also struggled in that even by the low standards of laste 80s indie, they had an awful vocalist. I've heard tapes of supposedly 'classic' Roses live performances, and I just wince at how far the vocal line is removed from the actual tune.

Mani's cool, though, and he went on to make better records with Primal Scream. As for the others, meh.

Best album: none
Best song: Made Of Stone (by a mile)

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 29 Jun 2006, 00:06

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:I'm loving this board :D

It takes all sorts, I suppose.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 29 Jun 2006, 11:34

I've pontificated enough on here about TSR.

Suffice to say The Stone Roses is my favourite album of all time.

Song : probably Waterfall but i love Standing Here dearly.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Jun 2006, 11:54

nathan wrote:
King John Coan wrote:'The Stone Roses' is the most overrated album of all time.

In America it's not even rated. Once in a while you will see it mentioned in a magazine but it's usually more of a condescending aside at how cute the whole Britpop thing was than any actual display of merit or worthiness. Rarely do you see it mentioned otherwise and you would be hard pressed to find someone that has actual heard it. If anyone remembers them at all it was basically for the few months in 1994 that they played Love Spreads on the modern rock radio stations. It's mainly just whispered about and loved by people that like that sort of thing (shiny guitar pop). It's kind of amazing, really, the whole night and day aspect between what's overrated over there compared to here.

This was not my experience.

Everyone who paid attention to music knew about it and loved The Stone Roses. No, it wasn't a pop phenomenon like Green Day or Nirvana would be, but the kids who bought records had it and loved it. And this was in lame-ass, small town South Texas. I had it on tape and wore that sucker out. Of course, they never came to the States and worked it. Sadly, when Second Coming was released, they had burned up a lot of good will they had based solely on the strength of the first record. Maybe had they toured properly, Second Coming wouldn't have been so deflating.

It was the last time a UK import (not literally, everyone had the US version) would live up to the hype.

I don't know that I could choose a favorite song.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 29 Jun 2006, 12:05

King John Coan wrote:
You surprise me.

'Sally Cinnamon'? For fuck's sake, man! Lazy, wimpy, half-arsed stude pop.

And we have here decreed, en masse, and several times before, that 'The Stone Roses' is the most overrated album of all time. Your contrary stance doesn't do you any favours this time round, fella-me-lad! :P

:):):):):):):):)

I wasn't going to troll this thread with my well known opinion, but since, as usual, people who don't like this piece of shit band are called fools, I have to step in and tell my brothers to stay strong.

For those late to the game, I have an "irrational" hate of this band :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 29 Jun 2006, 12:18

The Red Heifer wrote:
King John Coan wrote:
You surprise me.

And we have here decreed, en masse, and several times before, that 'The Stone Roses' is the most overrated album of all time. Your contrary stance doesn't do you any favours this time round, fella-me-lad! :P

I wasn't going to troll this thread with my well known opinion, but since, as usual, people who don't like this piece of shit band are called fools, I have to step in and tell my brothers to stay strong.

It's not irrational at all.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Jun 2006, 12:28

Spoon Wearing Disguises wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
King John Coan wrote:
You surprise me.

It's not irrational at all.

Just misplaced.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 29 Jun 2006, 12:29

Baron The Lesser wrote:Just misplaced.

I'm happy with it where it is :)
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Jun 2006, 12:30

The Red Heifer wrote:

You're also happy listening to Modest Mouse, so there you go. :wink:

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 29 Jun 2006, 12:31

I listened to it far too much as a kid. "Fool's Gold" is their moment for me - yes, it is pretty much an unimaginative groove that goes on for 10 minutes, but it's a fluid, liquid groove that doesn't really sound like anything else. Yes, there's "I'm so Green" by Can which it is claimed it was influenced by (Squire said in that Mojo interview that they'd never heard it) but that doesn't go on for 10 minutes and transport you to a place like this does. It was about some Mancunian council estate kids blooming majestically in the space of literally, 18 months. In 1987 they were an abject popgoth band, and yet by the autumn of 1989 this band had produced an LP of utterly sublime poprock that ultimately is greater than the sum of its parts - but has passion, elegance, ambiguity, romance and a peculiar form of Balearic sheen (no doubt enhanced by the time when it was released) that no other Guitar band from the UK has ever truly recaptured.

I could argue that the Stone Roses arguably, along with the Smiths put UK guitar music back by 20 years because no guitar band from this country, with the notable exception of Radiohead has furthered the form like bands have done in the US. They merely refined a form that had already, it could be argued, have reached its zenith 20 years previously. It is one of the great tragedies that the Roses never went on to become the band that they could have been.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 29 Jun 2006, 12:33

Baron The Lesser wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:

Man, there's just no way to win an argument from a lawyer.
There is no counter-argument to Modest Mouse.
I fold.
Last edited by Brother Spoon on 29 Jun 2006, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 29 Jun 2006, 12:36

the masked man wrote:They also struggled in that even by the low standards of laste 80s indie, they had an awful vocalist. I've heard tapes of supposedly 'classic' Roses live performances, and I just wince at how far the vocal line is removed from the actual tune.

Mani's cool, though, and he went on to make better records with Primal Scream. As for the others, meh.

Best album: none
Best song: Made Of Stone (by a mile)

It is true that Brown was a spectacularly bad vocalist. When the Stone Roses dvd came out, I watched it once, and sent it back for a refund. It starts with Elephant Stone. Squire's having fun with his wah wah pedal, Mani's jamming along, Reni's drums are fantastic, it's sounding amazing. Then Brown comes in with his awful off-key wounded donkey vocals.

I dread to think how much tinkering was involved in the studio to produce the kind of brilliantly lazy vocals we hear on the studio album.

But they were great, apart from Fool's Gold which is like ssooooooooo overrated.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 29 Jun 2006, 12:36

Baron The Lesser wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:

And my opinion's misplaced :lol:

They call it Fools Gold for a reason.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Jun 2006, 12:40

The Red Heifer wrote:They call it Fools Gold for a reason.

Yes, it's because that's what the lyrics are. :wink:
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 29 Jun 2006, 12:42

Penk wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:They call it Fools Gold for a reason.

Yes, it's because that's what the lyrics are. :wink:

Good to see someone got it :lol:

Return to “BCB 100”