BCB 100 - Teenage Fanclub

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
dgs

Postby dgs » 27 Jun 2006, 23:03

The Giraffe wrote:
dgs wrote: Man Made.

Now there is an album of maturity.

i never did get into that album at all.

i'll give it anther go tomorrow.

well worth it, its not quite Grand Prix of course, but its a damn fine album.

Never made a duffer have they, says something that.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 27 Jun 2006, 23:09

I like 'em. Anyway, I can see why people might go for Songs from North Britain overall, but for me it's cheekiness and grungey melodicism of Bandwaggonesque that takes the title. I don't know what it is about that record, but Quaco summed up its appeal nicely- it somehow straddles the gap between laziness and effortlessness, from the opening "says she's gonna get some records by the Status Quo" line (The Concept) and that gorgeously tossed aside solo on "What You Do To Me." Or even the crashing harmonies within "I Don't Know." Their music never was quite so innocent again, was it?

I suppose if you're going for their mature period, then Songs from North Britain would have it, or maybe even Grand Prix (although that lags inthe middle). In fact all their LPs have something to recommend, but Bandwaggonesque is the one. Actually, special mention must also go to A Catholic Education- the production is a bit muddly, but their wit shines through, particularly on the definitive "Everything Flows" ("set a course for...I don't know") or the noisy but witty "Heavy Metal."

Album: Bandwaggonesque
Song: Everything Flows
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 28 Jun 2006, 07:26

Well, I just bought Grand Prix, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'll be sure to brew a pot of coffee for when I get to the middle.

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 28 Jun 2006, 07:30

And what's up with the six bonus tracks on my copy of Thirteen? Is that a reissue thing, or were they on all copies from the start? Were they worried about naming their record after a Paul Hardcastle song rather than a Big Star one?

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 28 Jun 2006, 09:13

geoffcowgill wrote:Well, I just bought Grand Prix, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'll be sure to brew a pot of coffee for when I get to the middle.

If you miss 'Neil Jung', you miss one of the most perfect pop songs ever made. If you're a fan of intricately crafted pop music you will be absolutely blown away by the first three tracks. Look out for 'Mellow Doubt'. It's a achingly beautiful lament to forbidden love. It's a song that I played to DQ before we crashed into each others lives like two trains colliding. It summed up the mood and the circumstances perfectly and I've often thought about writing to Norman Blake to see if he would pen a follow up.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 28 Jun 2006, 09:19

The Giraffe wrote:
dgs wrote: Man Made.

Now there is an album of maturity.

i never did get into that album at all.

i'll give it anther go tomorrow.

You need to. It's an understated delight. However, Ray's songs don't really cut the mustard. It's backloaded as well, which threw my enjoyment of it initially.

'Tis I who is right about this wondeful band.

Album - Songs From Northern Britain

Song - Don't Look Back

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 28 Jun 2006, 10:22

goldwax wrote:
Oscar wrote: Look out for 'Mellow Doubt'. It's a achingly beautiful lament to forbidden love. It's a song that I played to DQ before we crashed into each others lives like two trains colliding. It summed up the mood and the circumstances perfectly and I've often thought about writing to Norman Blake to see if he would pen a follow up.

Why, are you in the market for a mistress?

Why, you offering, bitch?

No, I meant a follow up like 'Content Meant' or 'Sell Factual Eyes Asian'.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 28 Jun 2006, 10:51

goldwax wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:And what's up with the six bonus tracks on my copy of Thirteen? Is that a reissue thing, or were they on all copies from the start? Were they worried about naming their record after a Paul Hardcastle song rather than a Big Star one?

U.S. bonus tracks ever since its original release in this country. Unfortunately or not, I bought a UK import back when I lived in Japan, but six months ago I got a U.S. copy dirt cheap just because. However, I still haven't listened to the six extra tracks yet. :oops:

The bonus tracks are all b-sides to the Thirteen singles, and are well worth a listen. I think some of them are stronger than the actual album tracks.

Thirteen is for me definately the runt of the litter. 'The Cabbage' and 'Radio' are the only songs which are up to par with TFC's incredibly high standards. I think it's well below any of their albums, including the very good 'Catholic Education' which has at least six great songs.

I'd say if anything Grand Prix sags at the end. THe last three or four aren't as good as the rest. BUt they ain't bad.

On the subject of singles, if you're a fan it's well worth collecting as many f the singles as possible, if you don't already have them. Particularly the Grand Prix singles which have three b-sides on each cd, and a total of three singles each with two cds. 18 b-sides, almost all are fantastic. And the SFNB b-sides are also worth getting. If you like the albums. If not, probably not worth getting. :lol:
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Clay Davis

Postby Clay Davis » 28 Jun 2006, 11:27

Ted Maul wrote:
Oscar wrote:Album: Grand Prix
Song: Sparky's Dream

Very obvious choices but thats because they're obviously the best.

He's right, you know.

Same for me too.

There is very little to choose from Bandwagonesque, Grand Prix and Songs From Northern Britain though. I've never been too taken with the other albums.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 28 Jun 2006, 11:32

Album - Grand Prix

Song - The Concept
Don't fight the hypothetical

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 28 Jun 2006, 11:40

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:Thirteen is for me definately the runt of the litter. 'The Cabbage' and 'Radio' are the only songs which are up to par with TFC's incredibly high standards. I think it's well below any of their albums, including the very good 'Catholic Education' which has at least six great songs.

Will you put your fanny away and listen up. 'Hang On' is possibly the best opener on a Fannies album and 'Gene Clark' is a fantastic closing track, as well as being a incredible pop anthem. How could anyone who mentions Thirteen, not have anything to say about 'Tears Are Cool'? One of the hippest choruses in pop music is "When I see you cry I think tears are cool". 'Norman 3' is better than anything on SFNB and has that glorious repetetive chant at the end that joyfully goes on and on. 'Radio' is a premier division power pop classic. I can't understand why it isn't more widely revered. There is not a dud on the whole album.

Carry on.

Django

Postby Django » 28 Jun 2006, 11:53

Album - Grand Prix

Track - Planets

I like 'em all, but find Bandwagonesque difficult to listen to these days. It's so sugary and lightweight, and it's pretty much the only record I played when I was 14, that I've had my fill of it.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 28 Jun 2006, 12:24

django wrote:I like 'em all, but find Bandwagonesque difficult to listen to these days. It's so sugary and lightweight, and it's pretty much the only record I played when I was 14, that I've had my fill of it.
I used to rate Bandwagonesque as the best but I'm just tired of it now. I think it's certainly, the odd one out of all the 'proper albums production-wise.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 28 Jun 2006, 13:58

Oscar wrote:
Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:Thirteen is for me definately the runt of the litter. 'The Cabbage' and 'Radio' are the only songs which are up to par with TFC's incredibly high standards. I think it's well below any of their albums, including the very good 'Catholic Education' which has at least six great songs.

Will you put your fanny away and listen up. 'Hang On' is possibly the best opener on a Fannies album and 'Gene Clark' is a fantastic closing track, as well as being a incredible pop anthem. How could anyone who mentions Thirteen, not have anything to say about 'Tears Are Cool'? One of the hippest choruses in pop music is "When I see you cry I think tears are cool". 'Norman 3' is better than anything on SFNB and has that glorious repetetive chant at the end that joyfully goes on and on. 'Radio' is a premier division power pop classic. I can't understand why it isn't more widely revered. There is not a dud on the whole album.

Carry on.

Tears are Cool? Blah. Cutefest.

'Hang On'. Not a great song, good, but nowt special.

But worst of all: 120min. It certainly seems like it is 120 min. Inane rhymes do not make up for the abscence of any melody. A monstrosity.

It's not a bad album. It has some good songs. It's only the brilliance of all the others which makes it stand out like a sore thumb.

THe one that has been slated a bit recently is 'Man Made'. I would give it 10/10, so what if it is similar to the previous two albums, you're still getting 12 songs of pop genius, with a bit more variety than on previous albums if anything. The only one which lets it down is the last one which sounds like it was knocked off in 5 minutes.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 28 Jun 2006, 14:09

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Ted Maul wrote:
Oscar wrote:Album: Grand Prix
Song: Sparky's Dream

Very obvious choices but thats because they're obviously the best.

He's right, you know.

Same for me too.

No argument here.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 28 Jun 2006, 14:26

It baffles me that such a wide sample of fans who listen to a band with an admittedly limited range could disagree so much. I mean, are you all listening to the same band?

I don't think I've ever heard a Teenage Fanclub song so don't mind me. I'll get back to my Buju Banton :(
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 28 Jun 2006, 14:28

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:Tears are Cool? Blah. Cutefest.

That would imply that it's overly cute when in fact it's attraction is it's simplicity and it's subtlety. A bit like The Beatles' 'In My Life'.

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:'Hang On'. Not a great song, good, but nowt special.

Hang On isn't a 'great' song but neither are a majority of songs on SFNB. What I said was it was "possibly the best opener on a Fannies album" when I should have said "definitely the best opener on a Fannies album". As an overall labum (and we are talking albums here and not individual tracks) 'Thirteen' has the opener, the closer and 'Radio' somewhere in between.

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:It's not a bad album. It has some good songs. It's only the brilliance of all the others which makes it stand out like a sore thumb.

It's not my favourite either but I struggle to find fault with it.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 28 Jun 2006, 14:47

Aye it's not bad right enough, i'm just having a listen now.

I was never keen on the way Hang On begins as a riff-tastic heavy metal beast and then turns into a sweet pop songs. But it's better than I remembered.

And that single note guitar solo on 'The Cabbage'. Is just genius. 8-)

DQ

Postby DQ » 28 Jun 2006, 16:08

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:
dgs wrote:There can be only one, Grand Prix and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

I'd like to disagree with respect. If you're looking for a power pop album full of powerful, energetic summery tunes, get Grand Prix.

If you're looking for something a little more laidback, a bit more of a grower, a really elegant classy little album, which unveils its genius coyly to you over a two week or so period, then get Songs from Northern Britain

Grand Prix...you're getting laid first date and its great.

SFNB.....you have to have a few dates but its so amazing for taking it that bit slower.

Or better still, get both.

I think this is a brilliant post.

Grand Prix symbolises the initial stages of our great romance perfectly and for lots of reasons but, later on and when things had settled in a bit, I can remember some lovely times listening to Songs from Northern Britain. So, I guess, a lot of the passion for Grand Prix must lie in the association it has to a particularly wild and romantic time of expectation in my/our life.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 28 Jun 2006, 16:09

Okay, Ive listened to a bunch of them this morning, and although it has to be admitted that both "Grand Prix" and "Bandwagonesque" (to a slightly lesser degree) are truley excellent, neither comes close to the warm excellence of "Songs From Northern Britain".This album just folds me up in a blanket of familiar comfort.
And for my favourite track?
"Start Again"- musical heroin.
Bless the weather.......Image

Return to “BCB 100”