BCB 100 - Van Morrison

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Van Morrison

Postby geoffcowgill » 26 Jun 2006, 17:26

I'm doing pretty good. I haven't bought the last two Morrison albums. But now some bastard will convince me that "they're really good, better than what he's done for years". The problem with this guy is that he's obviously very talented and has such a wonderful voice and has teased me with the out-of-the-wilderness greatness of The Healing Game that I can't quite drop him. I've got enough of his records that I feel I might as well get all of them. But I really can't imagine listening to the last two I bought, Sense of Wonder and What's Wrong With This Picture, again, leastways with any pleasure. But with that out of the way, let's just say that he made some remarkable music and seemed one of the most intuitive and passionate musicians of the 1970s. Astral Weeks is great and all, but his finest achievement is Moondance, which is about as good as a record gets. Any number of tracks from it can rightfully be consider among his finest, but "Into The Mystic" is a transcendent little slice of magic.

Favorite Album - Moondance

Favorite Song - "Into the Mystic"

purgatory brite

Re: BCB 100 - Van Morrison

Postby purgatory brite » 26 Jun 2006, 17:37

geoffcowgill wrote:Favorite Album - Moondance

Snap!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Jun 2006, 17:48

The man who's most let me down, unless Stephen Stills counts. Love Them, Astral Weeks, Moondance, & scattered bits after (Veedon Fleece, the one with the Chieftains). Lots of genre jumping, half-assed live shows, and very intermittent inspiration since.

Best Album - Astral Weeks

Best song - original - Into the Mystic
cover - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 26 Jun 2006, 17:50

Favourite album: Moondance

Favrourite Song - this is a really tough one, but I'll say "Caravan".

Underrated track: "If I ever Needed Someone" off of His Band & Street Choir. This is the closest Morrison got to writing a pure gospel tune. It's right out of the church, with some great call-and-response backing vocals. If Solomon Burke hasn't recorded this, I'd like to know why not.

Generally, I prefer early Van, before his voice took on that deeper, wooly tone which he has today. Although he's still a vital singer, a lot of the juice has been squeezed out, to these ears. And the production on his middle period to recent records has been too slick by half. I prefer the sound of the earlier "gather in the living room and play" type of sound he achieved on Moondance/Tupelo Honey/His Band and Street Choir, etc
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 26 Jun 2006, 18:00

geoffcowgill wrote:Favorite Album - Moondance

exactly.

As for you don´t owning the last two Van albums, geoff, I wouldn´t worry about it... you don´t need them (and it´s Captain "new records are always fine" Spaulding telling you this!).

"Magic time" has it´s nice moments, and it´s certainly better than the awful "Down the road!, but you won´t find anything in there that´s more exciting than anything on "What´s wrong with this picture".

As for the country album, well, it´s better than what I thought it would be, and a few tracks are really outstanding ("til I gain control again" in particular is excelent), but, again, it´s not the return to form that those of us who loved "The healing game" expect from good old Van.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 26 Jun 2006, 18:06

Captain Spaulding wrote:... and a few tracks are really outstanding ("til I gain control again" in particular is excelent)

Blue Rodeo do a great version of that tune on this excellent record:

Five Days in July
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Jun 2006, 18:07

toomanyhatz wrote:The man who's most let me down, unless Stephen Stills counts. Love Them, Astral Weeks, Moondance, & scattered bits after (Veedon Fleece, the one with the Chieftains). Lots of genre jumping, half-assed live shows, and very intermittent inspiration since.

I try not to be let down. Or more accurately, I try not to have too many expectations. At least that's how I am these days. Van was one of the guys who taught me that lesson.

At one point Van was on my Mount Olympus. I actually quit my first job because I couldn't get the manager to give me the night off for a Morrison concert. Fast forward to the tour he did with Dylan and Joni Mitchell about 7 years ago. My buddies and I walked out in the middle of his set, after spending about an hour of the show doing impressions of him based on the following template:

"Wilson Pickett...ahhh
Wilson Pickett...
and Big Bill Broonzy...
that's right...
Big Bill...
big, big, big Bill...
...and Big Joe Turner...
yeah...Big Joe Turner...
Clarence Frogman...
ain't got no home
Clarence Frogman...
sing about...
Clarence Frogman...
They're all in it....
every one of them in it...
lord have mercy...
In my record collection...
uh huh...
In my records...
my record colllection...
say Lefty Frizzell, lord have mercy...
in my record....Lefty Frizell in my record...collection...
(sax solo - then drops more names for another 45 minutes.)"

At some point I just figured out that you ride with an artist as long as you can, then when they make a turn you just can't make...you get off the bus. I hung in with Van as long as I could, but I really should have gotten off the bus years ago.

All of that said:

I have to agree with the crowd:

Moondance and Into the Mystic.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 26 Jun 2006, 18:38

Album: Moondance
Song: Gloria

There was a lovely "greatest heckle ever" bit in the WORD a few months back:

Ivan was doing his usual mumbling bit; " Rave on John Donne, Rave on metaphysical poets, rave on............" etc, getting quieter and quieter his head slumped into his chest until he was whispering. Whereupon someone in the audience shouted " Speak Up Van ".
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 26 Jun 2006, 18:52

You're all mad (apart from Toomanyhatz)

Album: ASTRAL WEEKS

Track: Purely for a non AW viewpoint - Linden Arden Stole The Highlights
We're way past rhubarb

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 26 Jun 2006, 19:02

Album - Common One

Song - Snow In San Anselmo

Sorry.

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 26 Jun 2006, 19:15

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:Album - Common One

I couldn't comment, it depends on my mood, but yes Common One's another strong contender.

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 26 Jun 2006, 19:29

Best album: none

Best song: none
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 26 Jun 2006, 20:00

Tell you what, that Brown Eyed Guirls a bit good innit? Guarenteed to get people dancing at parties. Couldn't give a toss for anthing else.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

frimleygreener
Location: between the rose and thistle and the old weatsheaf...

Postby frimleygreener » 26 Jun 2006, 20:04

"fair play"...

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 26 Jun 2006, 20:04

Album: That boring one. You know? The one that is exactly the same as all the other albums.

Song: That one on the boring album. You know? The one that is exactly the same as all the others on the album.

Oh alright. :roll:

Album: Astral Weeks

Song: Domino
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 26 Jun 2006, 20:08

The Slider wrote:Album: That boring one. You know? The one that is exactly the same as all the other albums.

Song: That one on the boring album. You know? The one that is exactly the same as all the others on the album.

Oh alright. :roll:

Album: Astral Weeks

Song: Domino

:lol: You've just heard them too much. They're by no means all the same. Come on, it's easy to criticise - I've seen him loads and sometimes he reminds you what an excellent musician he is; highly skilled, great interpreter and sometimes brilliantly original. Yes, he's produced a fair amount of indulgent nonsense but don't forget the good stuff.

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 26 Jun 2006, 20:12

Chris Chopping wrote:Tell you what, that Brown Eyed Guirls a bit good innit? Guarenteed to get people dancing at parties.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Best Album: Moondance
Best Song:- Did Ye Get Healed

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, Mr. C, but after a 46 year recording career, I'd hope to be remembered for something a little more substantial than "Brown Eyed Guirls "{sic}.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 26 Jun 2006, 20:15

No, I like his records up to say Veedon Fleece.
But by Wavelength he just sticks to the Van formula.
He isn't quite at Quo status, but not very far from it.

It's Too late To Stop Now shows a vibrant, vital and forceful performer at the top of his game delivering a punchy set of great songs in a concise(ish) manner.
But the few times I have seen him (granted it was many years later) he has been uncommunicative, surly, indolent (to the point of making Brian fucking Kennedy sing most of his lead vocals for him on one occasion) and a waste opf my time and money.

I wouldn't go to see him tomorrow if he were playing at my local and you gave me a free ticket.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 26 Jun 2006, 20:16

the john otway fan club wrote: after a 46 year recording career, I'd hope to be remembered for something a little more substantial than "Brown Eyed Guirls "{sic}.

The only thing he did that was more substantial was Astral Weeks.
And you don't like that.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 26 Jun 2006, 20:32

This guy was responsible for one of the worst gigs I've ever endured. It was at Cardiff University (admittedly, not an inspiring venue) and he was in a foul mood. He wasn't talking to his backing band or to the audience.

There was no setlist. At the end of each song he dragged his guitarist (who looked embarrassed to be there, and I didn't blame him) over to a book containing a list of songs, and just pointed to one of them. The guitarist then announced which song was next on the mic, as much for the benefit of the other band members as anything. The set was almost completely based around his less-than-inspiring current album ("Hymns To The Silence", as I remember) with only one hit ("Moondance") included as a sop to the audience. I have never seen a performer quite as misanthropic - by comparison, Mark E Smith is a jolly all-round entertainer.

It really put me off him - I'd started collecting his records, and I haven't bought a single one since. But, of what I've heard, I think that "The Common One" is outstanding. I struggle to match the wide-eyed wonder is this album with the surly boor I witnessed in Cardiff. Best song is "Summertime In England", which does what it says on the tin, evoking endless images of bucolic utopia.

Return to “BCB 100”