BCB 100 - Scott Walker

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
jimboo

Postby jimboo » 20 Apr 2007, 21:39

Sir John Coan wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:There's only one problem with Scott Walker, and that is that 99% of his material is complete shit.

Even accepting the premise that people have different tastes.This is the most ridiculous statement i have ever read on a music board. I shall look at you in a different light mr Coan.

I'll accept Scott 4 is a fine album. Like I said, there are two amazing songs there. And the rest really is rather good. But I can't get with his other output. There's no root melody to much of it, and they dress it up with all manner of expensive shit - harps and horns and that - but it's all so meandering and boring. I'm longing for a great swoop of accessible tune in the vocal, or something - never comes. Lots of talent there, but too much dancing around and avoiding aspects that make all the great pop so loveable.

Alrighty , fair enough. Yer still wrong though. :lol:
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Apr 2007, 00:59

jimboo wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:There's only one problem with Scott Walker, and that is that 99% of his material is complete shit.

Even accepting the premise that people have different tastes.This is the most ridiculous statement i have ever read on a music board. I shall look at you in a different light mr Coan.

I'll accept Scott 4 is a fine album. Like I said, there are two amazing songs there. And the rest really is rather good. But I can't get with his other output. There's no root melody to much of it, and they dress it up with all manner of expensive shit - harps and horns and that - but it's all so meandering and boring. I'm longing for a great swoop of accessible tune in the vocal, or something - never comes. Lots of talent there, but too much dancing around and avoiding aspects that make all the great pop so loveable.

I don't even get the criticism to be honest. All of the songs people have mentioned have really strong melodies. Listen to "Such a small love", the way the chorus just soars, how can that not be seen as a strong melody?

Jock

Postby Jock » 24 Apr 2007, 01:12

I just don't get Scott Walker. To be honest I haven't heard much, but, he seems just a bit melodramatic to me.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Apr 2007, 01:35

Corporal Moddie! wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
jimboo wrote:

I don't even get the criticism to be honest. All of the songs people have mentioned have really strong melodies. Listen to "Such a small love", the way the chorus just soars, how can that not be seen as a strong melody?

I really don't see it, G. I just tried again. The vocal melody is flimsy. It's almost comical to me the way there's this ridiculously ornate and overblown backing with strings and horns and he's there underneath it all with just a few notes to wring dear life out of. Doesn't work for me at all. There's no movement to the tunes at all - it all just sort of stands there showing off, all puff and swagger.

Maybe I'll get it one of these days. I took notice of your comments about 'Boy Child' and - even tho' I find it about as odd as popular music can get, really (forget Pere Ubu's more outre experiments!) - now I quite like it.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 23 Aug 2007, 21:55

..ooGOD'S COCKoo.. wrote:
Corporal Moddie! wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
jimboo wrote:

I really don't see it, G. I just tried again. The vocal melody is flimsy. It's almost comical to me the way there's this ridiculously ornate and overblown backing with strings and horns and he's there underneath it all with just a few notes to wring dear life out of. Doesn't work for me at all. There's no movement to the tunes at all - it all just sort of stands there showing off, all puff and swagger.

Maybe I'll get it one of these days. I took notice of your comments about 'Boy Child' and - even tho' I find it about as odd as popular music can get, really (forget Pere Ubu's more outre experiments!) - now I quite like it.

You have done it again!!!! This is a wind up right?

I mean you do have the ability to feel emotion don't you? Come on!!!!!! Fookin hell brother no movement? puff and swagger?

Alrighty fella , let's have it who in your book does the sweeping , soaring honey throated bombastic pure belters better?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Aug 2007, 23:42

At least accept he's unorthodox! I'd love him to belt out some tunes like Sinatra, but he's too self-regarding and inaccessible for me.

Sorry, but I don't hear any melodies. I just don't hear 'em. There aren't any, for fuck's sake!

jimboo

Re:

Postby jimboo » 24 Aug 2007, 16:58

Dr. June VEND RSA BSc wrote:At least accept he's unorthodox! I'd love him to belt out some tunes like Sinatra, but he's too self-regarding and inaccessible for me.

Sorry, but I don't hear any melodies. I just don't hear 'em. There aren't any, for fuck's sake!

Ok i am gonna go and find a Hendrix/electric ladyland thread and see if you have written " Hendrix is ok but , it could be so much better without the guitar pyrotechnics".

Sinatra is great (Bennett is better). I guess if you do not hear it then you do not hear it. You do surprise me though

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: BCB 100 - Scott Walker

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Nov 2007, 12:22

Coan you are speaking utter bollocks for the sake of it. You've gone in too deep and now you're floundering.

Walker is immense. I've been on a real binge of his material recently, and I can saw without any uncertainty that his work is like nothing else. I guess, because of his most recognisable work having that great wave of melody in it, you expect everything else to have that aesthetic, and the best thing about him is that he confounds you with each LP.

For me, Scott 4 or perhaps Tilt. Not sure on a single track.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 06 Nov 2007, 23:41

Just finished the book The Rhymes of Goodbye, an analysis of all his songs up to and including The Drift. The book isnt that great but it made me go back to the albums again.

The Drift and Tilt are both amazing pieces of work, Tilt is still showing new things even after 10 years.

I am glad that Coan doesnt get it. He dismissed The Drift without even hearing a note, if you dont like it fine after hearing it but without hearing a note is just plain ignorance
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jock

Postby Jock » 15 Nov 2007, 17:06

After a conversation with Jeemo and Droolboy i'm giving Mr. Walker another chance. I'm listening to Scott 4 now.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

Molony

Postby Molony » 24 Nov 2007, 16:57

'Scott 4' is one of my all time favourite albums. Amazing. Favourite track is 'The Old Man's Back Again' (listen to the bass, man!), but I also have a particular soft spot for 'World's Strongest Man'...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 May 2009, 04:47

No love for "It's Raining Today"? Is it too obvious a choice? I think it's a perfect song. The arrangement alone is incredible, truly arresting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 04 Mar 2010, 14:05

Quaco wrote:No love for "It's Raining Today"? Is it too obvious a choice? I think it's a perfect song. The arrangement alone is incredible, truly arresting.

One of my favourites. That shimmer of strings!
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 25 May 2010, 00:13

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Return to “BCB 100”