BCB 100 - Prince

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Jun 2006, 07:03

My favourite Prince album, is Around The World In A Day, although side 1 is far better than side 2. Favourite song, is When Doves Cry, which features a guitar style not unlike Steve Howe.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 21 Jun 2006, 08:41

I may be in a minority but I never did get When Doves Cry (or the whole of Purple Rain for that matter). There's any amount of great funk pop in his repertoire so I can really do without the sappy overwrought stuff.

Album:

Sign Of The Times
Diamonds and Pearls

Track:-

Sign of The Times
Starfish and Coffee
Alphabet Street
Little Red Corvette
We're way past rhubarb

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 21 Jun 2006, 08:48

Oh, as for favourite album, it has to be "Sign of the times", I guess (even though Slider does have a point when he complains about the inferior quality of the second album).

I also have loads of time for two albums that are considered "minor" in his discography (and sometimes not even considered): "The gold experience" and "Lovesexy"
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 21 Jun 2006, 09:37

Album: Dirty Mind or Sign 'O' the Times (or Parade or 1999 ...)
Song: Head

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 21 Jun 2006, 10:05

I'll always go for the obvious commercial choice of "Purple Rain" - it's just a record that meant so much to me at a certain time of my life. It was a daring record, synthesizing so many styles and influences, that it left me speechless. It was also very much a soundtrack to me getting to know a lot of female American students in Reading, but that's another tale.

It's hard to pick out a single song - "When Doves Cry" is an obvious choice, but I also love "Money Don't Matter 2Nite", "If I Was Your Girlfriend", "Thieves In The Temple" and tons more.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 21 Jun 2006, 15:40

Um, excuse my ignorance of ageing rockstars but who are the others in that clip? I'm guessing the blonde guy is Tom Petty? I recognised Dhani and Jeff Lynne. Who are the rest?
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 21 Jun 2006, 15:47

Hare Dressing wrote:I went to find the youtube site where they had him playing on the Harrison tribute 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' but they've taken it off, for "copyright infringement". Bollocks.

It would have converted any non-believers.

Indeed. Man, that rocked.
Fantastic.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Jun 2006, 17:04

Sutekh wrote:
Hare Dressing wrote:I went to find the youtube site where they had him playing on the Harrison tribute 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' but they've taken it off, for "copyright infringement". Bollocks.

It would have converted any non-believers.

Indeed. Man, that rocked.
Fantastic.

If playing a long guitar solo with a bunch of has beens converts anyone then they don't deserve converting in the first place.

album: Parade
Song: Girls And Boys

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 21 Jun 2006, 17:29

The trouble with polymaths is that they often need somebody to help with the quality control, and this is very much the case with the purple one.
He's done some great stuff, but increasingly, its buried under the mundane.
Latest album is very average.
I really still like 1999-funky and original.
Lovesexy is a great coherent album too, and "Sign of the Times" is fabulous, even if it does lose its breath a bit.
But for me, Ill go with "Batman" because nobody else has.Its a great piece of work.Narrative, strong, and funks like a bastard.
Tracks?
Cream, The Cross,Mountains,Lady Cab Driver-all great,take your pick.
Bless the weather.......Image

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Jun 2006, 17:41

The Unique Modernist! wrote: If playing a long guitar solo with a bunch of has beens converts anyone then they don't deserve converting in the first place.

Oooh, you have been such a little bitch lately... :lol:

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 21 Jun 2006, 18:41

I can't claim to be a great fan, having only listened to a handful of his albums more than once. However, Purple Rain was one of my favourite albums as a 15 yera old, and wonderfully, it still sounds magnificent now. I love it all; but i do have a soft spot for Computer Blue and The Beautiful Ones

Best Album - Purple Rain

Best Song - Little Red Corvette

K

Postby K » 21 Jun 2006, 18:44

We've done alright so far, BCBers. We're on two full pages and no-one's trotted out the dull old tripe about Prince showing his influences too clearly and Hednrix and Sly and JB and yadda yadda yadda!

I do think he is one of the most talented popmusicians on the planet and, agreeing with AndyMac, he just needed a quality control button at times.

FAVE ALBUM: Dirty Mind

FAVE SONG: If I Was Your Girlfriend

I will change my mind the second I hit 'submit'

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 Jun 2006, 22:15

Album - Parade

Song - Sometimes it Snows In April
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Beno

Postby Beno » 21 Jun 2006, 22:53

He was great but could have been greater. As has already been said though the lack of an internal or external editing force has been his let down.

Thinking about my favourite works of his and I seem to like him best in his rock/pop era, as even Sign of the Times has too many extended funk jams for me.

So my votes ae going to

Album - Purple Rain
Tracks - Paisley Park and Raspberry Beret

12stringbassist

Postby 12stringbassist » 21 Jun 2006, 23:55

I have most everything Prince has put out.....
At his best, the guy is a magician.

One song that can reduce me to jelly is 'Gold'.
'Still will stand all time' is another.
I'm also partial to the down and dirty live piano version of 'Strange relationship'. :wink:
The world was holding its breath waiting for me to post that, obviously......

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 22 Jun 2006, 01:09

andymacandy wrote:But for me, Ill go with "Batman" because nobody else has.Its a great piece of work.Narrative, strong, and funks like a bastard.

That's the only Prince album I ever bought, because I really liked "Partyman". "The Future" is a good track too.

The song that's really given me a jolt of fun was the title track to "Musicology". I particularly love the horn shots in that one, and all the namechecking confirms Prince as a music fan - like the rest of us.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

automatic_drip

Postby automatic_drip » 22 Jun 2006, 12:59

Album - Parade

Song - Kiss - the long version

(honorable mention to When You Were Mine, When Doves Cry, Pop Life, The Cross, Lovesexy, White Mansion, Delirious, 7, Head, Pope, - if you cherry pick, the guy's sounds unstoppable.)

I too have a great fondness for Emancipation, his last near great work. Controversy is pretty crappy, and his first two are not much to hear. Everything else between Dirty Mind and Emancipation is pretty great.

I only wish he'd kept Wendy and Lisa around longer.

Even his crappy stuff is at least interesting.... I even like Rave Un2 the Joy... and parts of Crystal Ball.
Only time will tell if we stand the test of time.... - Sammy Hagar

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Jun 2006, 14:53

It's all about 'Kiss' for me. You'd be hard pushed to find a song that managed to be as strange and as sexy.

For a long time, I struggled with Prince because he seemed to embody two different sides of my musical aesthetic: melodic, dancable, concise pop; and sheer fucking insanity. It took a while for it to gel in my head but, now it has, I'm massive on him. Still haven't got any actual albums, mind - only that (absolutely FANTASTIC) 3 disc hits and b-sides comp which Matt Wilson posted on the previous page.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 30 Jul 2006, 15:48

He's never made a truly great album, because they're all flawed in one way or another. But, at his best, he was miraculous - and he was/is better than that live.

Album : Sign 'O' The Times

Track : Three Chains Of Gold.

Nicky Loves Fuzz

Postby Nicky Loves Fuzz » 09 Aug 2006, 10:09

Album: Sign O The Times

Song: Kiss

I love everything up until the the Batman soundtrack. Then it's sort of hit or miss for me.

Return to “BCB 100”