BCB 100 - Roxy Music

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - Roxy Music

Postby geoffcowgill » 18 Jun 2006, 16:27

I just have the first two. I was pretty disappointed with Roxy Music when I got it several years ago. Very little of it really made any impact at all. I picked up For Your Pleasure more recently and think that it is a real improvement. The music is more interesting, the songs are more engaging. Hell, the album cover is better.

Favorite Albums - For Your Pleasure

Favorite Song- "Editions of You"

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 18 Jun 2006, 16:35

Have a read of this thread, Geoff...
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jun 2006, 16:39

There was a whole rash of Roxy threads recently (the main one being the one that Slider posted a link to). It may be worth staggering these BCB 100 threads according to what's been discussed recently.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: BCB 100 - Roxy Music

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Jun 2006, 16:40

geoffcowgill wrote:I just have the first two. I was pretty disappointed with Roxy Music when I got it several years ago. Very little of it really made any impact at all.

Give it another go, Geoff. Maybe listen late at night, or something. It's a wonderful, wonderful album. Certainly my favourite by them.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Jun 2006, 19:37

My favourite album's For Your Pleasure, it's the only one I really listen to all that often of the ones I have (the first three and Siren). My favourite song's Virginia Plain, I know it's obvious but it's the first one I heard and the one that convinced me to investigate further.
Is Country Life worth getting, though? I only like a couple of tracks on Siren and I do remember people saying that they went downhill after the first three, but HMV have it for £3.99 at the moment.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 18 Jun 2006, 19:45

Favorite album - Probably Stranded, though I have a soft spot for Avalon, because every time I've ever put it on with a lady friend in the room- result! Right up there with most Marvin Gaye records as the sexiest record ever.

song - So many, couldn't really pick. Street Life, maybe. For now.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jun 2006, 20:05

album: For Your Pleasure (one of the all time great sleeves too).

Song: Changes really- but the deranged urgency of Editions Of You never lets me down.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Jun 2006, 20:11

Penk wrote:My favourite album's For Your Pleasure, it's the only one I really listen to all that often of the ones I have (the first three and Siren). My favourite song's Virginia Plain, I know it's obvious but it's the first one I heard and the one that convinced me to investigate further.
Is Country Life worth getting, though? I only like a couple of tracks on Siren and I do remember people saying that they went downhill after the first three, but HMV have it for £3.99 at the moment.

get it.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 18 Jun 2006, 21:03

Album - Country Life
Song - Mother of Pearl

... and special mention to Viva Roxy Music as one of the all time great Live albums and to Paul Thompson for being such a fantastic drummer.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 18 Jun 2006, 22:04

Albums- Stranded or For Your Pleasure are my favorites.

Songs- "Editions of You", "Streetlife" "Amazona" and the oft-hated "The Bogus Man".
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jul 2006, 04:16

aLbum: 3 way tie of the first three.
each are simply faboo in their own way. the thing about the first one is just how OTHER it is. 'Pleasure' really does find all the pleasure centers in my brain and 'Stranded' really is the sound of a band snapping into gear. 3 fine slabs, I won't choose between them.

song:
win: In Every Dream Home a Heartache
place: A Really Good Time
show: Sunset

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 Jul 2006, 13:14

album - For Your Pleasure

song - A Song For Europe
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jul 2006, 01:09

Sneelock wrote:aLbum: 3 way tie of the first three.
each are simply faboo in their own way. the thing about the first one is just how OTHER it is.

Yes!

Sneelock wrote:song:
win: In Every Dream Home a Heartache
place: A Really Good Time
show: Sunset

Great choices.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 23 Jul 2006, 12:25

Never heard a whole album by them and only have a best of that came out a few years ago. On the basis of that, and other tracks I know of by them that I've heard elsewhere, I think I like their old stuff better than their later stuff, and I think I do need to explore those earlier albums further.

Despite which, I have a fondness nonetheless for "Oh Yeah" that is quite considerable.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 06 Aug 2006, 10:37

Album : Roxy Music

Track : Out Of The Blue

Hubert Rawlinson

Postby Hubert Rawlinson » 22 Apr 2007, 00:04

Album - Roxy Music
Track - In every dream home a heartache

I can understand the reaction to the first album, if you're hearing it for the first time, now, but, to paraphrase my second selection, it blew my mind way back when, as I had bought it on the premise that Virginia Plain was an entertaining enough single.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 22 Apr 2007, 21:04

I fucking love "both ends burning" , honestly what a track.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

BlueMeanie

Re: BCB 100 - Roxy Music

Postby BlueMeanie » 31 Jan 2011, 08:45

Album: For Your Pleasure

Song: Editions Of You
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Return to “BCB 100”