BCB 100 - Neil Young

Do we know what we like? We even talk about it!
Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 18 Jun 2006, 11:57

the name is Coan wrote:Forgive my lack of eloquence, but isn't 'Cinnamon Girl' really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fucking great?

yes

brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby brotherlouie » 18 Jun 2006, 11:57

the name is Coan wrote:Forgive my lack of eloquence, but isn't 'Cinnamon Girl' really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fucking great?

I wish they'd remaster it (and the early albums) with a little more punch, tho'. Normally I'm not arsed about that kind of thing, but those songs really are missing something.

Yes it is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fucking great.

Clay Davis

Postby Clay Davis » 18 Jun 2006, 14:25

toomanyhatz wrote:I'm a fan, no doubt about it. I think because, even though he's a crank, he's a loveable crank. Think of Greendale. A complete mess of a concept record, hung on a thin storyline, and cliche characters that nonetheless all represent different aspects of Neil's prickly personality. And he goes for it. Takes the thinnest of ideas and takes it to its conclusion, with a film, tour and record. Then forgets all about it and moves on to the next thing. No one else has such fascinating failures, or buries himself so deeply in everything he does.

That is exactly why he is so endearing, to me anyway.

Favourite album: On the Beach

Favourite Song: Ambulance Blues (although it could be any one of many)

I keep changing my mind on favourite NY albums and songs. Last week when I listened to Rust Never Sleeps no one would be able to convince me there was a better song than Powderfinger.... but when listening to On the Beach yesterday morning the same happened with Ambulance Blues.

Also, Coan is spot on Everybody Knows... is crying out for a good remaster to beef it up a little.
Sheeeiiiit

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 18 Jun 2006, 19:19

In terms of his political stances, I think Neil Young is a bit flaky. But the calibre of his work makes this meaningless anyway.

Favourite Album - If I'm honest, I'd say it was "Decade", but if we're choosing proper albums, I'll go with "After the Goldrush"

Favourite Song - It's probably "A Man Needs A Maid". I love the wacky lyrics that go from the silly to the truly heartfelt from one line to the next. And I love the overwrought arrangement, which completely runs against the grain of the standard Neil Young country-folk/electric freakout dichotomy.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Jun 2006, 19:49

Reading all the posts, people either love or get frustrated with NY because you can't put a finger on him, musically or personally.

My favorite, and the most mysterious artists, are like this. Wears his heart on his sleeve, but it comes across as either a pat on the head or a knock on the jaw. You never know what's coming til it's coming.

He's both liberal and a conservative isolationist re: the US. And coming from a Canadian who drove here in a hearse, no less.

I like all the Neils. Well almost all. I hate Trans no matter how sympathetic the back story. And Greendale is Young's self indulgence to the extreme.

Everything else I'm pretty cool with.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Jun 2006, 20:09

Clippernolan wrote:Favourite Song - It's probably "A Man Needs A Maid". I love the wacky lyrics that go from the silly to the truly heartfelt from one line to the next. And I love the overwrought arrangement, which completely runs against the grain of the standard Neil Young country-folk/electric freakout dichotomy.

Nice choice. That's a hell of a song.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 19 Jun 2006, 05:11

the name is Coan wrote:
Clippernolan wrote:Favourite Song - It's probably "A Man Needs A Maid". I love the wacky lyrics that go from the silly to the truly heartfelt from one line to the next. And I love the overwrought arrangement, which completely runs against the grain of the standard Neil Young country-folk/electric freakout dichotomy.

Nice choice. That's a hell of a song.

Yeah, thanks John. Actually when I think about it, the flakiness I find in Neil is exemplified here too. But, I think that's what makes it such a great tune - it is both an eloquent statement of love and longing, as well as being an example of how hard it is to express it, because it reveals a kind of emotional clumsiness. It is a very human track.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

B

Postby B » 19 Jun 2006, 06:01

I'm not sure what this BCB 100 business is about. Will these be tallied as votes or something, or is this just for discussion of particular artists?

My favorite Neil Young song is probably "After the Goldrush". That's the Neil Young song I put on my top 50 songs, anyway.

Favorite album is difficult to choose. Probably Everybody Knows This is Nowhere or Tonight's the Night

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 19 Jun 2006, 07:54

At least for the next ten minutes;

Favourite Album: Ragged Glory

(why no other votes for this - it is THE rock out album)

Favourite Track: Tonights the Night

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 19 Jun 2006, 09:52

Neil's palette is a rich one. One day something from one end of the spectrum suits better than the other - another day it is the other way around.

But though one day I might prefer to hear Harvest Moon or Sleps With Angels or Tonight's The Night, the album that always pulls me back is Rust Never Sleeps. And though it contains five or so of my very favourite Neil songs (in particular Powderfinger), it doesn't have the top one (which comes from an album I find very hard to love on any other level)

Favourite album: Rust Never Sleeps

Favourite song: Like a Hurricane
David Bowie Reduxed Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 19 Jun 2006, 10:06

Favourite album: On the Beach
Favourite song: "Albuquerque"

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 19 Jun 2006, 11:19

Impossible to choose.
I default to "Tonights The Night", as its the one I most consistantly think represents his genius, but that is to deny how much I love Rust Never Sleeps, Everybody Knows, On The Beach, Trans and Time Fades Away.
A good cop-out would be to choose "Live Rust", as their isnt a single track on that album I dont love, and if I had to start somebody off on NY, I would hand them that.
Favourite track?
Contenders from outside the obvious suspects are "The Last Dance","Shots" from "Reactor","Revolution Blues", but for me my fave is "Thrasher" from "Rust Never Sleeps", with "Pocahontas" a close second.
Bless the weather.......Image

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 19 Jun 2006, 11:57

andymacandy wrote:A good cop-out would be to choose "Live Rust", as their isnt a single track on that album I dont love,

"he com dan-sin a-pon de watah-man!" :lol:

andymacandy wrote:and if I had to start somebody off on NY, I would hand them that.

Great selection of songs on it - no doubt.
I'd still probably hand them Decade though.
David Bowie Reduxed Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 19 Jun 2006, 12:07

The Slider wrote:
andymacandy wrote:A good cop-out would be to choose "Live Rust", as their isnt a single track on that album I dont love,

"he com dan-sin a-pon de watah-man!" :lol:

andymacandy wrote:and if I had to start somebody off on NY, I would hand them that.

Great selection of songs on it - no doubt.
I'd still probably hand them Decade though.

The cod-accent never really bugged me that much-it just seemed like another typical Neil foible.Really annoys others though, I know.
Decade is a better selection,I agree, but I think a huge component of his work is the live element.Hurricane, Cortez and TTN all come to life on the live versions, and those on LR dont turn into 25 minute,one note solos.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 19 Jun 2006, 12:11

Album: After The Gold Rush

Song: Alabama
Don't fight the hypothetical

Short Bald Bloke

Postby Short Bald Bloke » 19 Jun 2006, 21:52

Eldorado.

But then I am a sucker for story songs.
Close runner up, The Needle & The Damage Done.

And I love the bit in Live Rust where the rain pours down, thunder crackles, and a voice says "Maybe if we all think very hard, the rain will go away."

Most overrated: Like A Hurricane. Goes on for a couple of decades too long.
NancyTheInfecter wrote:I'd vote Sheffield as well as it is a much sexier place.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 19 Jun 2006, 22:24

Short Bald Bloke wrote:And I love the bit in Live Rust where the rain pours down, thunder crackles, and a voice says "Maybe if we all think very hard, the rain will go away."

Im pretty sure that's a sample from the Woodstock movie-not that that diminishes it in any way.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 20 Jun 2006, 19:07

andymacandy wrote:Decade is a better selection,I agree, but I think a huge component of his work is the live element.Hurricane, Cortez and TTN all come to life on the live versions, and those on LR dont turn into 25 minute,one note solos.

Yeah.
I'd start them off with Decade, then give 'em Rust Never Sleeps and then hit them between the eyes with Weld.
Who could rsist?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 20 Jun 2006, 19:24

Giving Weld an airing at the moment (well, in the car, anyway).

Love his cover of Blowin' In The Wind and I think I prefer this live version of Like A Hurricane.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Jun 2006, 19:54

Album: Tonight's the Night

Song: When You Dance I Can Really Love
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.