BCB 100 - PJ Harvey

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Jun 2006, 17:31

She's alright. I tried to get into Dry, Rid of Me, and maybe one other (I can't recall) back in the '90s when there was such a surplus of female singer songwriters on the scene. None of the songs really grabbed me but I appreciated her fuck you attitude.

Is she cute?

Good God, no.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 19 Jun 2006, 20:02

I'm a big fan. I've followed her from the first album and now I wish I had been collecting the singles as well.
My favourite is probably 'Is This Desire?'
My least favourite is the last one has it seems the first time she really started repeating herself. Every record had some thing new but Uh Huh Her seems a rehash of the Dry and Rid Of Me stuff and a four year wait to boot.

The DVD is well worth it.

She's obviously not classically beautiful but at times she looks gorgeous. Sexy comes from inside and she has that in spades.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 23 Jun 2006, 19:18

The Unique Modernist! wrote:did anyone give a cogent argument for her inclusion in the hundred in the first place?
She's the kind of artist you could scrub from the history of popular music and no one would notice.

Isn't that an over-academic way of looking at this? There was that 'without whom this would not be possible' thread, which catered for the innovators. I thought the '100' was a stab at a list of the most popular artists of the BCB massive. On that basis, I'd have thought Peej was worth a shout.

I really don't think much of Uh Huh Her but, otherwise, she's been a model of consistency and quality. My favourite is the swampy, evil To Bring You My Love and the choice track is the poptastic (as far as it goes) Good Fortune.

And, yes, I definitely would. :P

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Jun 2006, 20:41

Ted Maul wrote:My favourite is the swampy, evil To Bring You My Love

Well, there's my problem with PJ. She tries for queen of this, and queen of that, y'know? Blues bitch, or queen of the streets, or deranged jilted ex-lover, but really we know she lives for her Saturday afternoon shopping at Harvey Nicks.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 23 Jun 2006, 20:52

The Legendary John Coan wrote:but really we know she lives for her Saturday afternoon shopping at Harvey Nicks.

We know that, do we? :roll:

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jun 2006, 20:58

The Legendary John Coan wrote:

Well, there's my problem with PJ. She tries for queen of this, and queen of that, y'know? Blues bitch, or queen of the streets, or deranged jilted ex-lover, but really we know she lives for her Saturday afternoon shopping at Harvey Nicks.

So what do you think of her music? Or is that not an important consideration when discussing a musician?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

This Was
Internet Search Engine

Postby This Was » 23 Jun 2006, 21:05

Last edited by This Was on 08 Feb 2010, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Jun 2006, 21:10

Ranking Rupert wrote:
The Legendary John Coan wrote:

I saw Mark E. Smith walking down the street when The Fall were in Bristol the other week. Just walking down the street! Talking to the person he was with! All ordinary like! And it was quite early in the morning as well! (This is true, BTW)

Bloody hell. I don't want my pop stars to be out and about before midday. And even then he should have been shouting Manc beat poetry and sacking guitar players.

I came straight home and binned all of his records.

Mark E. Smith sings about walking down the street. (OK - he doesn't sing, really, but you get my point).

PJ Harvey sings about being out in the desert and wanting to kill a man and chopping down a tree with her bare hands and drowning cats and all that. But she's happiest with her Mr. Kipling fondant fancies.

This Was
Internet Search Engine

Postby This Was » 23 Jun 2006, 21:24

Last edited by This Was on 08 Feb 2010, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Jun 2006, 21:29

Ranking Rupert wrote:
The Legendary John Coan wrote:Mark E. Smith sings about walking down the street. (OK - he doesn't sing, really, but you get my point).

PJ Harvey sings about being out in the desert and wanting to kill a man and chopping down a tree with her bare hands and drowning cats and all that. But she's happiest with her Mr. Kipling fondant fancies.

So, since MES once sang
Remember when I used to follow you home from school babe?
Before I got picked up for paedophilia

does that mean I should be having a word with the local vigilante squad?

:lol:

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jun 2006, 00:23

Ted Maul wrote:
The Unique Modernist! wrote:did anyone give a cogent argument for her inclusion in the hundred in the first place?
She's the kind of artist you could scrub from the history of popular music and no one would notice.

Isn't that an over-academic way of looking at this? There was that 'without whom this would not be possible' thread, which catered for the innovators. I thought the '100' was a stab at a list of the most popular artists of the BCB massive. On that basis, I'd have thought Peej was worth a shout.

I really don't think much of Uh Huh Her but, otherwise, she's been a model of consistency and quality. My favourite is the swampy, evil To Bring You My Love and the choice track is the poptastic (as far as it goes) Good Fortune.

And, yes, I definitely would. :P

Possibly over-academic. I suppose I meant to say everything about her is bloody obvious. She appeals to a crowd that just want a bit of guitar music with a sneer, with the added ingrediant it's delivered by a female instead of the usual thin white middle class male. What can I say other than she's ok in a marks and spencers processed food kind of way. She's a good outlet for adolescent fantasies I guess.

Nicky Loves Fuzz

Postby Nicky Loves Fuzz » 09 Aug 2006, 10:17

Album: Rid Of Me

Song: Sheela-Na-Gig

I love a bunch of her stuff, and thought she was great in concert.

Return to “BCB 100”