BCB 100 - The Smiths

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 16 Jun 2006, 20:04

Matt Wilson wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:I think it is the accepted interpretation, Matt. Or certainly the critically orthodox one after that Songs That Saved Your Life book (which is really good, actually - much more of a fan document than Revolution In The Head and, in some ways, all the better for it).

Just checked it out on amazon. It looks interesting. That makes two books recommended to me today I'll have to check out.

The Rip it Up book by Simon Reynolds was the other.

Yeah, I'd definitely check it out. I found it a really good read despite not being a Smiths fanatic.

I have no interest in Rip It Up, though. Sounds like someone inflating the importance of the angsty music they listened to in their teens beyond all reason. This is a totally uninformed opinion but not one I feel impoverished for holding.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 16 Jun 2006, 20:16

Leg of lamb wrote:I have no interest in Rip It Up, though. Sounds like someone inflating the importance of the angsty music they listened to in their teens beyond all reason. This is a totally uninformed opinion but not one I feel impoverished for holding.

It's just a good quick overview of post-punk and new-pop. It's not the most fascinating read but it is very informative if you are interested in that type of music. Simon Reynolds isn't as dry a writer as Jon Savage but he does come close at times. But at least he tells anecdotes.

Me, I still like the Smiths a lot. This thread does make me want to get the first album though.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 16 Jun 2006, 20:21

nathan wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:I have no interest in Rip It Up, though. Sounds like someone inflating the importance of the angsty music they listened to in their teens beyond all reason. This is a totally uninformed opinion but not one I feel impoverished for holding.

It's just a good quick overview of post-punk and new-pop. It's not the most fascinating read but it is very informative if you are interested in that type of music. Simon Reynolds isn't as dry a writer as Jon Savage but he does come close at times. But at least he tells anecdotes.

This is what I feared might be the case. All of this is said with the grudging knowledge that I will probably end up reading it at some point.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jun 2006, 20:25

Leg of lamb wrote: Yeah, I'd definitely check it out. I found it a really good read despite not being a Smiths fanatic.

Well, that's more or less my take on them. I like the band--or rather I liked them in the '80s. Solid albums, solid singles. Cool guitar sounds and interesting lyrics.

But I think they're praised all out of proportion on this site and that's what puts me off on them twenty years later. That, plus the lyrical theme of Morrisey's words simply don't conect to my life whatsoever. It's like the lyrics of that song..."It says nothing to me about my life." I never was a literature-referencing, Manchester kid in the process of coming out of the closet (but not quite there yet) whining about the dreariness of my life (and all the other Smiths cliches you can think of :lol: ).

I could get with the exotic nature of the whole image when I was in college but now I can see the... God, I don't even know what words to use to describe it now. Something overly Oscar Wilde-like and collegiate, I suppose. Fine at the time but not something I'm ever going to play any more than the Cure or XTC at this stage in my life.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jun 2006, 21:19

Leg of lamb wrote:This is a totally uninformed opinion but not one I feel impoverished for holding.

Wonderful line!

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 16 Jun 2006, 23:48

Hatful of Hollow is the definitive Smiths recording. If i was only allowed 10 cds in my collection, that would be one.

'I Won't Share You' is a cracker, my fav (or second fav) from Strangeways.

In some ways I wish they'd carried on just a bit longer. But then that would take away part of their charm.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 17 Jun 2006, 00:20

I was just delighted to find out that The Smiths is available on yourmusic.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 17 Jun 2006, 02:13

slightbreeze wrote:Possibly the greatest band of all time.

They're not, but fuck are they close. I totally bypassed this lot until about 18 months ago, now I can't get enough. Morrissey's voice used to grate on me, but I like it now for some reason.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 17 Jun 2006, 09:07

I always struggle to choose a favourite Smiths album and my opinion has changed backwards and forwards a dozen times. Initially, I generally go for the debut because it had the greatest impact - but Hatful is a better. The Queen Is Dead was more multi-textured and adventurous but Strangeways seemed to persistently demand the recognition it deserved. If we must avoid the compilations the I will tentatively choose the debut (The Smiths) over Strangeways. As for a favourite track ....

Bigmouth Strikes Again
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Miserable Lie
Reel Around The Fountain
This Charming Man
What Difference Does It Make?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 17 Jun 2006, 09:38

Ooh look, it's another Smiths thread. Who knew?

I've explained why I love this band so much, so often that it's getting hard to pluck up the energy to do so again. But with me it does seem to be that I was in the right place at the right time. If you were in higher education, in the UK, in the mid 80s, then this was the band that caught the spirit of the time. Their music was everywehere. I can't separate the music from certain places in my mind, certain events that occurred.

I'm actually pleased that people are now coming to The Smiths without that background - it shows that the appeal can be about more than just nostalgia.

As for favourite albums, I still think that "The Queen Is Dead" has their most jaw-dropping moments, but they're all good. Sometimes, I think "Meat Is Murder" is highly underrared, but I do think that "Strangeways..." is comfortably the weakest of the four 'proper' albums. It also sounded a little tired in comparison to the others, qulaity of songwriting not withstanding.

Top 5 songs:

1. The Queen Is Dead
2. Rusholme Ruffians
3. I Know It's Over
4. This Charming Man
5. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 17 Jun 2006, 09:49

Like Andrew, I've written more words than I care to remember so I'll just restrict myself to list my five faves:

1. How Soon Is Now
2. This Charming Man
3. Rusholme Ruffians
4. Nowhere Fast
5. Jeanne.

As to the best album I'd say Hatful Of Hollow, but if I'm restricted to the studio albums proper then the first.

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 17 Jun 2006, 10:20

I am currently unable to have 24 hours without hearing 'You just havent earned it yet baby'.

I love them a little more every day.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 17 Jun 2006, 10:25

Do you guys all really still listen to them?

I loved them at the time and wouldn't disagree with any of the plaudits but i can't imagine ever chosing to put them on again.

they sound good when i hear them accidentally, i'm always reminded of how great they are, but i really can't envisage a situation where i would choose to put them on ahead of hundreds of other things i've heard more recently. They are stuck in an era to me

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 17 Jun 2006, 10:29

Owen wrote:Do you guys all really still listen to them?

I loved them at the time and wouldn't disagree with any of the plaudits but i can't imagine ever chosing to put them on again.

they sound good when i hear them accidentally, i'm always reminded of how great they are, but i really can't envisage a situation where i would choose to put them on ahead of hundreds of other things i've heard more recently. They are stuck in an era to me

I feel that way about them too. Despite fans saying they're timeless, etc. - they're very much of their time. As much so as Duran Duran and the Eurythmics.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 17 Jun 2006, 10:30

No. I keep meaning to rebuy their stuff, but I don't know if it would speak to me now or not.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 17 Jun 2006, 10:34

the name is Coan wrote:

I feel that way about them too. Despite fans saying they're timeless, etc. - they're very much of their time. As much so as Duran Duran and the Eurythmics.

The situations they talk about just dont seem to happen any more, it's not that they are studenty, i never really thought that, but there's something very resonant of thatchers england there to me. Hearing a smiths song, especially the earlier stuff before it became this morrissey Marr soap opera just hails back to a very specific, almost oppressed trapped world view. I've never bought the idea that they were depressing, they were very funny, but they talk about a world that I think (hope maybe) doesn't seem to be there any more. I'm always amazed when i see kids who are getting into them, and they are, they do seem to be latching onto the more generic teen stuff and missing that whole soul crushing small town working class under thatcher and the unions feel.

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 17 Jun 2006, 10:40

Crikey...yes, I adore them, and really have no perception at all of them being 'of an age'

To me, they're timeless

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 17 Jun 2006, 10:42

It's just like putting on a classic film or skimming through the pages of a book. Why would you not want to play great music?

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 17 Jun 2006, 10:46

Classic Prof wrote:It's just like putting on a classic film or skimming through the pages of a book. Why would you not want to play great music?

I do. But there's loads of great music out there. some of it with a lot more relevance to my circumstances and emotional state.

I think the Morrissey of recent years has gone a long way to killing any remaining interest as well, you can't really see him without wondering how stupid we had to be to pay him any mind. The music remains excellent, whenever i hear it i enjoy it, wouldn't hear anything against it but there's something stopping me wanting to put it on.

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 17 Jun 2006, 10:52

Owen wrote:
Classic Prof wrote:It's just like putting on a classic film or skimming through the pages of a book. Why would you not want to play great music?

I think the Morrissey of recent years has gone a long way to killing any remaining interest as well, you can't really see him without wondering how stupid we had to be to pay him any mind. .

You are on some kind of bizarre hallucigenic medications, and I claim my five pounds.

Return to “BCB 100”