BCB 100 - T. Rex

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB 100 - T. Rex

Postby geoffcowgill » 15 Jun 2006, 15:22

I've only heard the two biggies, Electric Warrior and The Slider, so I don't have a whole lot to say. I like both albums, but not enough that I'm too curious about what came after considering the reputations of those albums. I would like to eventually hear some of the earlier hippie stuff.

Electric Warrior is the better album. I doubt if there's going to be too much argument about that. "Rip Off" is maybe my favorite song, but I really like "Chariot Choogle." There's something so blissfully cool about it. Yeah, actually, that's the one.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Jun 2006, 15:53

'Raw Ramp' - an early B-side - is perhaps the best T Rex song.

I'll leave it to the aficionados - I like the band but don't love 'em.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 15 Jun 2006, 16:24

:? Chariot Choogle is on The Slider...

I agree with you, Geoff. Electric Warrior is a significantly better record, though The Slider and Tanx are solid enough efforts.
None of the subsequent albums are very good, despite the odd album track / single that raised a thrill.

As far as the pre EW material is concerned, it is pretty much a different experience. It isn't a band, it is one man and a bongo player.
On that score it depends on how you feel about his warbly voice and unique approach to lyric writing.

And Coan is right. Raw Ramp, which was the B Side of Get It On, is probably the best T Rex song of them all.
Alas it is only available on either the 20th Century Superstar box set or the contemporary compilation Bolan Boogie, both of which are highly reccomended by the way.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Jun 2006, 16:31

The Slider wrote:As far as the pre EW material is concerned, it is pretty much a different experience. It isn't a band, it is one man and a bongo player. On that score it depends on how you feel about his warbly voice and unique approach to lyric writing.

Of the early ones, A Beard of Stars seems to resonate with me more than the others, and is the only one I seem to listen to much. Is it the best one (in your opinion), or did I just somehow get into it? Maybe I'm a little scared off by the double-album version of the first two -- all that warbling!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 15 Jun 2006, 16:35

Carlsson would tell you yes.
I would say that I prefer the middle two (Prophets Seers and Sages / Unicorn) but it is purely subjective.

Beard of Stars is the first one with Mickey Finn in place of Steve Took (not that I think that makes any difference really - Bolan never collaborated with his band members) and it features a lot more proto-T.Rex sounding tracks. It is pretty much the first half of a double album with the eponymous album as the second.

By the way, anyone wanting to hear more need only go to the usual place... :wink:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Jun 2006, 18:16

Zinc Alloy is a great record, a funkier approach ,sort of Bolans "Young Americans". The self titled album is great too. I prefer "The Slider" to "Electric Warrior", but there's not much in it, both are brilliant.
Best song is just about impossible, but Id go for "King of the Rumbling Spires" or "Ride a White Swan".

I love the early bongo hippie shit, its mad and wonderous stuff as far as Im concerned and really repays repeated listenings, and all beautifully produced by Visconti. Its a real treasure trove.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Jun 2006, 18:36

I'm always shocked that The Slider (the person) doesn't like The Slider (the album) more. While my favorite's probably the first T-Rex one (just captures that in-between state perfectly, and I love how the electric and acoustic guitars push against one another), I know that's a personal choice. But from the first note of Metal Guru, it's so obvious to me that The Slider is at least one of the best sounding records of the 70s, refreshingly free of the overcompression that plagues the period. It just bursts out of the speakers. Part of that's a credit to Visconti (as a producer, a guitar player's best friend, I credit him for the fact that Bolan, not an extraordinarily skilled player, was able to become a guitar hero), part of it Flo & Eddie's trebly back ups, part of it Bolan's infectious enthusiasm. I like Electric Warrior too, but to me, no contest. The Slider just rocks harder.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Jun 2006, 18:46

Electric Warrior is the one perfect album, though Ziggy Stardust comes close. It stands to reason, then, that it will be the best T. Rex album. All other suggestions are perversity for perversity's sake, and while I don't mind a little perversity, in this case it obscures the issue. End of.

Not my opinion, but I thought I'd save Slider the trouble. :)

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Jun 2006, 19:18

Quaco wrote:Electric Warrior is the one perfect album, though Ziggy Stardust comes close. It stands to reason, then, that it will be the best T. Rex album. All other suggestions are perversity for perversity's sake, and while I don't mind a little perversity, in this case it obscures the issue. End of.

Couple of weak tracks, don't you think, J? Can't think of titles at the mo.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Jun 2006, 19:20

the name is Coan wrote:
Quaco wrote:Electric Warrior is the one perfect album, though Ziggy Stardust comes close. It stands to reason, then, that it will be the best T. Rex album. All other suggestions are perversity for perversity's sake, and while I don't mind a little perversity, in this case it obscures the issue. End of.

Couple of weak tracks, don't you think, J? Can't think of titles at the mo.

:oops:

I see what you did there...

NMB

Postby NMB » 15 Jun 2006, 21:01

My favourite T-Rex song is probably New York City. It *-ing grooves and the fade-out is superb.

And the only lyrics are
"Have you ever seen a woman coming out of New York City
With a frog in her hand?
I did, don't you know, and don't it show?"

repated ad nauseum. Pure Bolan meaningless genius.
turn on, tune in, nod off

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 15 Jun 2006, 21:09

Quaco wrote:Electric Warrior is the one perfect album, though Ziggy Stardust comes close.

Ziggy is my second favourite album but Bryter Later is the only other perfect record.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jun 2006, 21:18

The Slider wrote:
Quaco wrote:Electric Warrior is the one perfect album, though Ziggy Stardust comes close.

Ziggy is my second favourite album but Bryter Later is the only other perfect record.

How about this one:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Jun 2006, 21:35

The Slider wrote:

I'll get it right one of these days. :cry:

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 15 Jun 2006, 21:43

You get everything right in spirit. The details are inconsequential.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Jun 2006, 22:19

Quaco wrote:A Beard of Stars

One of the greatest LPs ever made.

Not T Rex though - different band

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 16 Jun 2006, 01:32

Well, no one's mentioned Tanx in detail, and over the years, I've really grown to appreciate Bolan's experiments in expanding the T. Rex sound. There are a few duds here, but the best tracks like "Mad Donna", "Highway Knees", "Tenement Lady" (which starts out as a typical T. Rex rocker but suddenly turns into a mellotron-infused ballad) and "Rapids" can stand up with his best.

When Tanx came out in the US, everybody hated it, it didn't sell, and ended up as a "cutout" in just about every bargain bin in America. Poor Marc! I bought my copy for 2 bucks!

The CD version tacks on the singles "20th Century Boy" and "Children Of The Revolution" which are also quite ace as well.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 16 Jun 2006, 03:37

king feeb wrote:Well, no one's mentioned Tanx in detail, and over the years, I've really grown to appreciate Bolan's experiments in expanding the T. Rex sound. There are a few duds here, but the best tracks like "Mad Donna", "Highway Knees", "Tenement Lady" (which starts out as a typical T. Rex rocker but suddenly turns into a mellotron-infused ballad) and "Rapids" can stand up with his best.

When Tanx came out in the US, everybody hated it, it didn't sell, and ended up as a "cutout" in just about every bargain bin in America. Poor Marc! I bought my copy for 2 bucks!

The CD version tacks on the singles "20th Century Boy" and "Children Of The Revolution" which are also quite ace as well.
Tanx is a very underrated record. I don't enjoy it as much as the previous two but as Feeb says it's best tracks stand up with Bolan's best.
He tries.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Jun 2006, 03:45

Quaco wrote:Of the early ones, A Beard of Stars seems to resonate with me more than the others, and is the only one I seem to listen to much. Is it the best one (in your opinion), or did I just somehow get into it?

There are at least a handful of wonderful songs on the first two albums (and early singles) - but, for me, Unicorn is where they not only knock their schtick into shape, but expand it into three dimensions. Both that album and A Beard Of Stars (and their contemporaneous 45s) are robust indeed.

The self-titled T. Rex is the Tyrannosaurus lurching in the direction of Electric Warrior. It isn't quite as satisfying as the albums on either side of it, but there are more than enough gems there to make it worth having. ("Summer Deep" is one of my very favorite Bolansongs.)

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jul 2006, 04:03

album: Electric Warrior but only by a smidge.
song: RABBIT FIGHTER!!!

Return to “BCB 100”