BCB 100

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Jun 2006, 23:27

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Beno wrote:
The Unique Modernist! wrote:We have The Replacements but no New Order or Echo And The Bunnymen, I suppose that's consistent with the usual BCB revisionism.

Revisionism or not, surely it's right. And anyway Joy Division are included so maybe that can be extended to include New Order.

Not really. Uncut magazine seem to have persuaded some people they were important, but I'm far from convinced. They added nothing new, and aprt from the kind of people who are obsessed with garage rock, they made little wider impact.
They were fine for what they did, but let's not get carried away by a glorified bar band.

They were the best at what they did, I think that's why so many of us like them. I'm not for one minute suggesting that they brought anything radically new to the table but they were a great rock band and given the context of this discussion I think they deserve their place on the list, because after all it's not about who the 100 best bands are but who the 100 bands most liked on here are. I think the Replacements have a lot of fans here so they should be on the list. The Bunnymen likewise even though I don't care for them myself.
There are certainly a number of bands still on there who are less widely revered than those two, anyway, so room could probably be made for both.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Beno

Postby Beno » 12 Jun 2006, 23:31

Beno wrote:
The Unique Modernist! wrote:We have The Replacements but no New Order or Echo And The Bunnymen, I suppose that's consistent with the usual BCB revisionism.

Revisionism or not, surely it's right. And anyway Joy Division are included so maybe that can be extended to include New Order.

Not really. Uncut magazine seem to have persuaded some people they were important, but I'm far from convinced. They added nothing new, and aprt from the kind of people who are obsessed with garage rock, they made little wider impact.
They were fine for what they did, but let's not get carried away by a glorified bar band.

I'm not a garage rock fan and don't see them in that light. At their peak I'd say they have more in common with Big Star to be honest. Maybe neither act added anything "new", but the legacy both acts' leftfield rock/pop classics more than makes up for that.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jun 2006, 23:31

Bjork's probably the least popular on that list. Agreed?

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 12 Jun 2006, 23:32

Penk wrote:
Beno wrote:

They were the best at what they did, I think that's why so many of us like them. I'm not for one minute suggesting that they brought anything radically new to the table but they were a great rock band and given the context of this discussion I think they deserve their place on the list, because after all it's not about who the 100 best bands are but who the 100 bands most liked on here are. I think the Replacements have a lot of fans here so they should be on the list. The Bunnymen likewise even though I don't care for them myself.
There are certainly a number of bands still on there who are less widely revered than those two, anyway, so room could probably be made for both.

Yer arse. The Cure piss all over New Order.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jun 2006, 23:33

The Unique Modernist! wrote:Bjork's probably the least popular on that list. Agreed?

I can't stand her. We've been there a couple of times before - there are a couple of threads if you can be arsed to look. You're probably right, anyway.

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 12 Jun 2006, 23:33

The Unique Modernist! wrote:Bjork's probably the least popular on that list. Agreed?

No. She's a genius.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 12 Jun 2006, 23:34

Caterwauling mad bat. Enough.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Jun 2006, 23:34

Diamond Wolfie wrote:
Penk wrote:
Beno wrote:

Yer arse. The Cure piss all over New Order.

I prefer the Cure too but I wasn't talking about either of those. :?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jun 2006, 23:35

Diamond Wolfie wrote:

No. She's a genius.

:D :D :D :D

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jun 2006, 23:37

This is really the thread to end all threads, isn't it? I mean, this is everything!. Created by default, really.

We should get rid of everything else here - every other thread - and just have this. It could go on for ever, never being solved.

It's all here.

Let it roll.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Jun 2006, 23:38

Geoff, you knew this would happen, didn't you?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 12 Jun 2006, 23:39

take 4 d blathergob wrote:This is really the thread to end all threads, isn't it? I mean, this is everything!.

And it's going pretty much exactly the same as I would have predicted it, with respect to Geoff and other contributors.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 12 Jun 2006, 23:40

Diamond Wolfie wrote:

No. She's a genius.

:D :D :D :D

I mean it. She towers over a lot of that list like a colossus.
Stone Roses? Do me a favour.

Strider

Postby Strider » 12 Jun 2006, 23:50

The Replacements definitely deserve to be on this list. And yes they were very influential on late 80's early 90's alternative music and beyond. Plus, Westerberg is simply one of more gifted songwriters of the 80's.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 12 Jun 2006, 23:53

I like the sound of this.

If you get rid of the Clash off the list I think we're away.

8-)

We could also have an 'underdogs' kind of list or a 'first division' which could have a thread a day too? Or is that a shit idea?
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

brilleaux

Postby brilleaux » 12 Jun 2006, 23:59

If I compiled a list of my 100 favourites, many less than half on the list would be there. But then I think that the Meters were a much more fun, intereresting and important band than Genesis.
"I am a dull and simple lad. Cannot tell water from champagne."

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 13 Jun 2006, 00:02

take 4 d blathergob wrote:This is really the thread to end all threads, isn't it? I mean, this is everything!.

Well, it's not very funny.

A load of music bores trying to impress on each other the music they like.

Oh wait..

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 13 Jun 2006, 00:07

Should have a band beginning with 'A' in. It's only fair. How about Athlete?
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 13 Jun 2006, 00:10

OK- Time to take stock. Here's a round-up of suggestions so far.

Bjork, Nick Lowe, and Squeeze are on dangerous ground, though they've each been defended once.

DJ Shadow and Frank Sinatra seem to have the most voiced support for inclusion.

Add (parentheses numbers indicate how many took issue with the suggestion)
Eric B. & Rakim II
Wu Tang Clan II
DJ Shadow III
My Bloody Valentine II
Tangerine Dream (-1)
Bob Marley II
Primal Scream
Sam Cooke II
Spiritualized
Solomon Burke II (-1)
Morning Star
Dinosaur Jr.