Private Messages & Site Performance.

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
User avatar
JQW
Posts: 29014
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 13:27
Location: The Crazy Loquat, Szegerely

Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby JQW » 06 Aug 2010, 22:29

I've identified the cause of our performance issues. We've simply got too much data on the server we're currently on. Most notably we've got far too many private messages stored in the system, and probably too many old posts.

I've severely reduced the number of PMs a user can have in their inbox. This will result in old messages getting purged from any inbox having more than 100 messages. Hopefully once these limits have been in place for a few days we'll have recovered a significant amount of PM space. If this means you've lost vital PMs then I apologise.

I've also added a new purge interval to YY.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

sensi

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby sensi » 06 Aug 2010, 22:38

Well that's some much wanted information missing I'll probably not get again in a hurry :(

Serves me right for not storing it in my saved messages...I'll know better in future :(

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 28661
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Aug 2010, 23:07

Hell fire!

Some Pms I would have saved had I known this was about to happen. Paul a warning would have been great.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sensi

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby sensi » 06 Aug 2010, 23:11

Minnie the Minx wrote:Hell fire!

Some Pms I would have saved had I known this was about to happen. Paul a warning would have been great.


Well yes...I appreciate everything you do on here but 24 hours notice would have been nice...I understand it's for the good of the board because it was slow but a bit of notice wouldn't have gone amiss.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 28661
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Aug 2010, 23:18

Actually - these are our private messages.

There is probably shedloads of stuff from many BCBers that they have suddenly lost without warning.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Uncle Spellbinder
My Spine Is The Bassline
Posts: 13267
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 22:31
Location: In a van down by the river
Contact:

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Uncle Spellbinder » 06 Aug 2010, 23:48

I've not had any issues with PMs at all. Probably because I have far less than 100 (and have backed up "important" ones on my computer). But site performance the past week or so has been horrible. Extremely slow most of the time and I get the following message at least half-a-dozen times a day (lasted more than an hour just now)....

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

User paulgrayson already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” - Frank Zappa

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33345
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby kath » 07 Aug 2010, 00:12

if i use my normal browser, mozilla, and i try to post in YY, first i get the dread FORBIDDEN window. then i get the vile YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THIS PAGE window (even though technically, i'm tryin to post, not view. i can view all i want, the bitch thing.) then i get bumped off completely to a ghost search page that reads, THIS SITE COULDN'T BE FOUND AND PROBABLY DOESN'T EVEN EXIST, YOU DUMBASS. WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY A REAL ADDRESS, OR PERHAPS YOU SHOULD LET SOMEONE ELSE TYPE IN THE ADDRESS FOR YOU?

not sure this is relevant to anyone else's problems. just felt like venting.

Sneelock

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Sneelock » 07 Aug 2010, 00:27

I'm not authorized to view this page but I'm viewing it anyway. that's how I roll.
I'm going to put my private messages in this thread until we get everything sorted.

kath,
is it safe?
S.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 21592
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby never/ever » 07 Aug 2010, 00:28

Couldn't you back up the old posts on some other website, like a BCB mirror site?

And what is the cap on threads these days? 80 pages?

Personally I think we should jettison Solarskope...the room that that will clear up gives us plenty of space again.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 28661
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2010, 00:28

Loads of messages I am mortified about losing, gone.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hugh
Posts: 15375
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Hugh » 07 Aug 2010, 00:37

I had a couple from Viera, who is no longer with us, about the death of his daughter. I would have like to have kept those. Still, in the big picture, all things are ephemeral.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33345
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby kath » 07 Aug 2010, 00:38

Sneelock wrote:I'm not authorized to view this page but I'm viewing it anyway. that's how I roll.
I'm going to put my private messages in this thread until we get everything sorted.

kath,
is it safe?
S.


sneelock,
let me see.

... she draws curtains (pulls out sketchpad and pencil)... she checks door (with paintbrush, makes a big red check mark)... **

ok. it may be safe. just make sure when ya pull it out of the fridge, ya check the expiration date and give it a good sniff first.

k.

**a tip of the hat to firesign theater. swoon.

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 9741
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 07 Aug 2010, 10:11

I have 472 messages in my inbox
they are all still there
check you inboxes and save them while you can :?


edit/
Im confused
saved messages has a limit set to 100 messages
I thought the inbox was going to have a limit set to 100

ah well, :?
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
JQW
Posts: 29014
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 13:27
Location: The Crazy Loquat, Szegerely

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby JQW » 07 Aug 2010, 11:34

Never/Ever wrote:Couldn't you back up the old posts on some other website, like a BCB mirror site?

And what is the cap on threads these days? 80 pages?

Personally I think we should jettison Solarskope...the room that that will clear up gives us plenty of space again.


The cap on YY is now set to 2 years. Other sections are culled more frequently, with a few not a all. The automatic purge I configured to run on YY hasn't done so yet, but will do so sometime today.


There were over 100,000 PMs stored in the system, with severe slowdowns happening when some users tried to view their inboxes. They were taking up around 75MB of storage. For the number of users this site has, 100,000 messages is simply not practical.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

User avatar
JQW
Posts: 29014
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 13:27
Location: The Crazy Loquat, Szegerely

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby JQW » 07 Aug 2010, 11:40

kath wrote:if i use my normal browser, mozilla, and i try to post in YY, first i get the dread FORBIDDEN window. then i get the vile YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THIS PAGE window (even though technically, i'm tryin to post, not view. i can view all i want, the bitch thing.) then i get bumped off completely to a ghost search page that reads, THIS SITE COULDN'T BE FOUND AND PROBABLY DOESN'T EVEN EXIST, YOU DUMBASS. WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY A REAL ADDRESS, OR PERHAPS YOU SHOULD LET SOMEONE ELSE TYPE IN THE ADDRESS FOR YOU?

not sure this is relevant to anyone else's problems. just felt like venting.


You usually see these forbidden messages when the webserver can't get access to particular pages - but if that were the case then all users would be seeing them.

Another cause is an issue with an upstream proxy server, but as users in several countries have received the error it's unlikely to be that, unless it's a bug with a newly released proxy which has recently been rolled out.

It could also be a problem specific to certain browsers.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

sensi

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby sensi » 07 Aug 2010, 11:42

JQW wrote:

There were over 100,000 PMs stored in the system, with severe slowdowns happening when some users tried to view their inboxes. They were taking up around 75MB of storage. For the number of users this site has, 100,000 messages is simply not practical.


That is true...it isn't practical...all I'm saying is that a little bit of a warning would have given people time to move stuff they wanted to a safer place for storage (should they have wanted to)...it has never been a problem before so an explanation as to why and when you were executing a cull would have been nice and fully understood.

It doesn't matter now anyway because they're gone.

This place is a lot of different things to different people...I'm all for doing things for the good of the masses but I would have liked a bit of a warning beforehand...now I know I can't trust this place to store my music links (like I have for the last 7 years) I shall store them in my own database in future.

User avatar
Jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Posts: 11396
Joined: 14 Nov 2003, 17:27
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)
Contact:

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Jude » 07 Aug 2010, 12:07

ConnyOlivetti wrote:I have 472 messages in my inbox
they are all still there
check you inboxes and save them while you can :?
I was going to mention this, but it seemed like rubbing salt in the wounds. Since you've done it, i'll point out that you're not the only one who's been able to get in and rescue a few.

Nonetheless, i'll weed out the ones that i don't need to keep in a few days.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 28661
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Aug 2010, 12:11

Just to clarify, are the messages in our saved boxes now safe?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 9741
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 07 Aug 2010, 12:44

Minnie the Minx wrote:Just to clarify, are the messages in our saved boxes now safe?


and
is the limit in the save box set to 100 ?

Im still confused :?
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
JQW
Posts: 29014
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 13:27
Location: The Crazy Loquat, Szegerely

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby JQW » 07 Aug 2010, 13:02

Saved ones should be safe.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell