Private Messages & Site Performance.

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
der nister

Re: Private Messages & Site Performance.

Postby der nister » 11 Aug 2010, 20:10

Jude wrote:
zphage wrote:May be for the sake of the forum's functionality, saved messages are limited to 25 and purged every 30 days
Not really "saved" then, are they?

???

Why not just have private messages go directly to one's own email?

The functionality of site is moot if it just a storage facility.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 11 Aug 2010, 20:13

zphage wrote:
Jude wrote:
zphage wrote:May be for the sake of the forum's functionality, saved messages are limited to 25 and purged every 30 days

???
:lol: Well, they're not, are they? Something's not "saved" if it's going to be purged within 30 days.

zphage wrote:Why not just have private messages go directly to one's own email?
Because that's a bit silly.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

JQW

Postby JQW » 11 Aug 2010, 20:45

I've just nuked the main search index, which should improve site performance significantly, by unfortunately making the search system practically useless.

We've got a choice of two different search backends. I've switched over to the alternative one, which although not as comprehensive it's far easier to maintain. I will need to get the data within it rebuilt, which I'll be doing soon.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Aug 2010, 20:54

The Slider wrote:
Message subject: goodbye
Sent: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:26 am
To: The Slider Diamond Dog

On Friday I leave. Happier times for sure without this place, populated as it is by evil people. Goodbye. And I hope you do not find a whipping boy to replace me. Perhaps this little episode will teach you something, but I am afraid you do not have the maturity.

Frank.

:lol:

Very uncharacteristic of Jumper K, no? Maybe he had been on the ketamine cider.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Uncle Spellbinder
My Spine Is The Bassline

Postby Uncle Spellbinder » 11 Aug 2010, 21:26

zphage wrote:
Jude wrote:

???

Why not just have private messages go directly to one's own email?

The functionality of site is moot if it just a storage facility.

I agree completely. The moment I receive a PM I feel should be saved, i save it to my computer and delete the original. BCB is not an online PM storage site. Just help out the functionality of BCB by saving your "important" PM's off-site. Really easy to do, if you ask me.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” - Frank Zappa

sensi

Postby sensi » 12 Aug 2010, 07:47

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:
I agree completely. The moment I receive a PM I feel should be saved, i save it to my computer and delete the original. BCB is not an online PM storage site. Just help out the functionality of BCB by saving your "important" PM's off-site. Really easy to do, if you ask me.

I agree completely....the point is PMs were removed without our permission or prior warning...when prior warning could easily have been given so we could move stuff we wanted to...it is very simple I agree but it would have been just as simple with a bit of notice first...the argument I'm trying to put forward is that no notice was given to remove stuff and stuff was lost...like I've said before I'm all for purging PMs if it helps the board but some prior notice would have been appreciated...as it is a decision was made regarding my private messages without consultation...had I known there had been a problem I would gladly have moved everything I wanted to keep and deleted everything I didn't...as it stands I never got the choice which I found very strange for a board that prides itself on its democratic way of running things.

Uncle Spellbinder
My Spine Is The Bassline

Postby Uncle Spellbinder » 12 Aug 2010, 11:00

sensi wrote:
Uncle Spellbinder wrote:

I agree completely....the point is PMs were removed without our permission or prior warning...when prior warning could easily have been given so we could move stuff we wanted to...it is very simple I agree but it would have been just as simple with a bit of notice first...the argument I'm trying to put forward is that no notice was given to remove stuff and stuff was lost...like I've said before I'm all for purging PMs if it helps the board but some prior notice would have been appreciated...as it is a decision was made regarding my private messages without consultation...had I known there had been a problem I would gladly have moved everything I wanted to keep and deleted everything I didn't...as it stands I never got the choice which I found very strange for a board that prides itself on its democratic way of running things.

You are correct about the notice. Notice should have been given. But I'm talking about from now forward.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” - Frank Zappa

sensi

Postby sensi » 12 Aug 2010, 11:03

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:

You are correct about the notice. Notice should have been given. But I'm talking about from now forward.

I know you were...I was just on my soap box, sorry :oops:

I've moved everything from saved box into word and I will just shove stuff in that folder from now on if I want to save it...I have no problem with the concept at all...I was just a bit miffed it was done with no warning...you know me and my Eddie Vedder related stuff...if it's touched I freak :oops:

JQW

Postby JQW » 12 Aug 2010, 17:22

I've isolated the remaining problems down to two issues:

The period site purges. When searching a forum for valid posts the software currently fetches a list of suspected posts, and then double checks them to make sure they're valid before deletion. It's the double checking that's causing some of the problems, as it needs to fetch a lot of info to be double-checked.

The second is when users try to view another user's post history. This causes another query which fetches a lot of data, whilst also attempting to count and order this data. Again this puts a heck of a load on the server.

I can get around the first by manually running a purge using other methods, and then turning on the auto purge, which I've just done. The second requires the relevant code to be seriously amended to prevent the needless counting, or disabled completely. I'll look into what I can do.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 16 Aug 2010, 14:20

Question = I'm unable to delete posted images, photos - including my own, and you tube embeds (not available ones). I can delete typed words but nil else. I have to leave just one letter in place.
Eg - see YY - "Which Song are you now playing" thread.

Anyone else having this problem ?
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

JQW

Postby JQW » 16 Aug 2010, 18:58

Samoan wrote:Question = I'm unable to delete posted images, photos - including my own, and you tube embeds (not available ones). I can delete typed words but nil else. I have to leave just one letter in place.
Eg - see YY - "Which Song are you now playing" thread.

Anyone else having this problem ?

I put a temporary block on deleting posts; I've now re-instated the feature.

Return to “Site News”