Long site outage - unplanned.

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
JQW

Long site outage - unplanned.

Postby JQW » 22 Nov 2007, 14:55

I've been away from this place today, and have only just managed to log on during the past few minutes.

It appears that one of the database tables got damaged earlier today, and as it was the table that keeps tracks as to who is currently logged on, it prevented users from logging in, and generated errors for everyone with automatic login set in their profile.

I've no idea what caused the problem, but it's now resolved.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Re: Long site outage - unplanned.

Postby king feeb » 22 Nov 2007, 14:59

Thanks, JQW. It's back to norbal now.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Nov 2007, 15:01

king feeb wrote:Thanks, JQW. It's back to norbal now.

In the immortal words of the great Michael Stipe: Don't go back to Norbal.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Errant Panda

Postby Errant Panda » 22 Nov 2007, 15:02

JQW wrote:I've been away from this place today, and have only just managed to log on if the past few minutes.

It appears that one of the database tables got damaged earlier today, and as it was the table that keeps tracks as to who is currently logged on, it prevented users from logging in, and generated errors for everyone with automatic login set in their profile.

Not by any chance something that could happen if someone wanted to cover their tracks regarding a certain other incident, by any chance?
As I am right 98% of the time I see no point in quibbling over 3%

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 22 Nov 2007, 15:03

Errant Panda wrote:
JQW wrote:I've been away from this place today, and have only just managed to log on if the past few minutes.

Not by any chance something that could happen if someone wanted to cover their tracks regarding a certain other incident, by any chance?

I'll go for Prof Plum in the Hall with the revolver.
BCB fop

JQW

Postby JQW » 22 Nov 2007, 15:08

Errant Panda wrote:

I doubt it. It was probably more likely caused by a problem with the actual server. The symptom could be caused by the database server being restarted by the wrong mechanism, causing unwritten tables not to get flushed correctly. Or it may be some form of hardware error. As we've not got access to the full server logs here I can't really tell.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 22 Nov 2007, 15:25

Well, for what it's worth: the error ID number was 145.

I hope this helps.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 22 Nov 2007, 15:56

Sea Of Tunes wrote:Well, for what it's worth: the error ID number was 145.

Very appropos, since the I:IV:V is the basic blues/rock n roll chord progression.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Errant Panda

Postby Errant Panda » 22 Nov 2007, 16:12

king feeb wrote:

Very appropos, since the I:IV:V is the basic blues/rock n roll chord progression.

Smartarse :twisted:
As I am right 98% of the time I see no point in quibbling over 3%

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 22 Nov 2007, 18:09

It was a horrible way to spend the early part of my Thanksgiving. I had to find refuge elsewhere, being a jerk on another site instead of here.

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 22 Nov 2007, 19:09

king feeb wrote:

Good point, well made.

(*starts chanting: Hey Ho, Let's Go! etc...*)

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 22 Nov 2007, 19:16

Errant Panda wrote:

I suspect that is exactly what it was. All the mods, Jethro, the London Aggro clique, the doyens club and the Mojo Elite all met up at an exclusive club in London last night to try and find a way to cover the disgraceful and vile treatment of a certain member, and the unpleasant and disgraceful editing of his comments. After several hours of fierce and impassioned discussion, it was decided that a phoney board outage would stem the flow of misgiving . How easily that ploy was exposed by your sharp and intellectual detective work. They all stand before you, ashamed and discredited.

What a sorry state of affairs.
You don't like me...do you?

Return to “Site News”