phpBB3 RC4.

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
JQW

Postby JQW » 09 Jul 2007, 09:59

I've now updated it to RC3. There's a few changes to both the Prosilver and Subsilver2 styles, but the both seem to only affect the layout of a few forms, and one of those forms is only visible to those with moderator rights. The javascript run in both styles has also changed, mainly to fix problems with Opera 9.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 10 Jul 2007, 15:36

JQW wrote:I've now updated it to RC3. There's a few changes to both the Prosilver and Subsilver2 styles, but the both seem to only affect the layout of a few forms, and one of those forms is only visible to those with moderator rights. The javascript run in both styles has also changed, mainly to fix problems with Opera 9.

It would be so cool if I understood this.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 13 Jul 2007, 15:53

I'm a little confused - the board looks the same as it always has. When are we migrating to the new board style?

Thanks!

JQW

Postby JQW » 13 Jul 2007, 19:22

the masked man wrote:I'm a little confused - the board looks the same as it always has. When are we migrating to the new board style?

Thanks!

It's more than just a new style; there's many other features and improvements elsewhere.

Here's a full breakdown:

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 15 Jul 2007, 01:07

So J...will we be redirected to the new site if we miss the move?
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

JQW

Postby JQW » 15 Jul 2007, 18:38

king feeb wrote:So J...will we be redirected to the new site if we miss the move?

Yes, it'll all be transparent.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 20 Jul 2007, 22:46

Am I imagining things, or has the design of the test site altered slightly? The phpbb logo looks different, anyway.

The site looks good, actually.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jul 2007, 17:03

I don't like the layout, it seems messy.
And I don't like the poster's details being on the right hand side, what's the point of that when we don't read right to left.

Brian Wilson

Postby Brian Wilson » 27 Jul 2007, 20:35

The Moddie Experience! wrote:I don't like the layout, it seems messy.
And I don't like the poster's details being on the right hand side, what's the point of that when we don't read right to left.

I would think they could change the position of the member details to any side, but I'm coming at it from a vBulletin background. I'm not sure phpbb has that option.
"I earned my famous name."

JQW

Postby JQW » 27 Jul 2007, 20:55

It's all down to which templates we use on the final board installation. The default one has all the details on the right, but there's bound to be others released which put the details elsewhere once phpBB3 goes gold. There's no point releasing new templates just yet as modifications are still being made to the code.

Looking through the logs of changes on the developer's site there have been several modifications made to the layout files since phpBB3 RC3, but I'm not certain as to what they all do as the developers haven't left any meaningful comments. We might see some major layout tweaks when RC4 appears.

JQW

Postby JQW » 29 Jul 2007, 19:04

I've now upgraded the test site to RC4. The code contains a large number of bugfixes and enhancements over RC3. The board layout itself is largely unchanged.

JQW

Postby JQW » 14 Aug 2007, 11:57

I've taken this down for the time being as I want to test porting existing posts to the new system.

Return to “Site News”