Has Rayge been suspended?

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
driftin

Has Rayge been suspended?

Postby driftin » 29 Nov 2013, 09:42

Sorry if this is the incorrect place for this thread but I'm still very unfamiliar with the layout and work flow of this forum. I couldn't find any admins to send a direct message so I thought I'd post it here.

I've been told by Rayge that he is having issues logging in and posting. It'll be easier if I just copy and paste the two messages he has sent me:

I'm having real trouble with BCB. I've been trying to make a post since 5pm yesterday, and every time I do I get

'Forbidden
You don't have permission to access to this document on this server.

Apache Server at blackcatbone.34sp.com'

and then I just can't access the site, under either of my aliases – it just times out. When I do get in, as this morning, it's all fine until I try to post.
I'm sorry to trouble you with this, but would be grateful if you could let them know because I'm starting to freak out a bit. Perhaps you can post this message there somewhere so I can get help.

And then a second message which contains the following:

It's only just occurred to me that it's probably the post that's the problem, in that it's about child sexual abuse in the wake of the Ian Watkins trial, and that having spat it out because it contains some buzz-words, it's then locked me out of the site for a cooling-off period.

Could the admins here possibly email him a solution, or something? It's an important post for him to send, not just because it took a while for him to type it out but also because it's meaningful - not to mention the fact that he likes to maintain the big threads he already has here.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: Has Rayge been suspended?

Postby the masked man » 29 Nov 2013, 09:53

Yes, his second message is on the money here. What's happened here is that his attempted message has triggered the spam filter, due to a combination of words contained within the post. Every time an offending post is attempted, the unfortunate board member is automatically locked out for a period of around 20 minutes. Obviously, if rayge keeps on trying to post this, he'll just rack up a fresh lock-out period. This often happens to perfectly innocent posts on a tiresomely regular basis. Furthermore, it is nothing to do with Jethro or the other administrators, as the filter is controlled by the board hosts. It's a very blunt tool, and it doesn't even work well as a spam filter; spam messages often get through and have to be deleted manually.

However, rest assured, rayge is neither banned nor suspended.

driftin

Postby driftin » 29 Nov 2013, 10:08

Okay thank you. I'll let him know.

Do you know what the (censored) key words are? That way he can edit his post.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 29 Nov 2013, 10:25

I've e-mailed him myself. I don't have such a list as such, but Watts is very good at troubleshooting spam filter problems.

watts

Postby watts » 01 Dec 2013, 21:14

If Rayge emails it to me I can fix the formatting and post it for Rayge.
--m

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 01 Dec 2013, 22:20

Martha, Rayge's already e-mailed it to me. I'll send it to you on Facebook.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 01 Dec 2013, 22:31

Message sent now.

Return to “Site News”