BCB problems

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

BCB problems

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Feb 2011, 19:32

I'm getting error messages about BCB about five times a day on average, cannot connect, and so forth. I check other sites and they all work fine. Sometimes it's as many as ten. Any idea what's going on, Paul, anyone? Anyone having the same problem?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Modernist

Re: BCB problems

Postby The Modernist » 25 Feb 2011, 22:31

Minnie the Minx wrote:I'm getting error messages about BCB about five times a day on average, cannot connect, and so forth. I check other sites and they all work fine. Sometimes it's as many as ten. Any idea what's going on, Paul, anyone? Anyone having the same problem?

I've had it for the last couple of months! But today has been much better ironically, the site was only down a couple of times for me.

the hesitant weasel

Postby the hesitant weasel » 25 Feb 2011, 22:43

I do 'sneakies' in work - I'm off and on like Paris Hiltons undercrackers, and I get on the site about 6 out of 10 without it timing out...

Quite frustrating,but shouldn't be doing it anyway :?
' Tweaking the nose of pomposity since 1964'

my blog site: http://thequestforthegarstonkillerwhale.blogspot.com

JQW

BCB problems

Postby JQW » 26 Feb 2011, 23:39

I'll raise the matter again with our hosting provider on Monday.

There's also an update to the board software - specifically the portion that supports Tapatalk browser clients - to apply. I've not had time yet to check what it does as it has only just been released, but I suspect it includes performance updates.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

JQW

Postby JQW » 27 Feb 2011, 22:19

It looks like our server is being periodically rebooted, several times a day. Prior to these reboot it's running very slowly, but after the restart everything seems to be fine. Then eventually the server slows down, and it gets restarted again.

This is what I call a 'fuckwit's fix'. Yes it may resolve the problem temporarily, but it shows a complete lack of problem solving skills, as the actual cause of the problem is never found.

Back in the past when I worked for the major supplier of an obscure and long-since defunct system, we often would have customers do the very same thing - i.e. notice a problem with a server, reboot it, and then call us to try and diagnose the problem with only log files for help. Of course it was always too late, as the pertinent information regarding the problem was never logged. And of course they would get the problem sometime later.

I've updated the plugin for Tapatalk, by the way. Those using a Tapatalk client may see several new features.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

JQW

Postby JQW » 28 Feb 2011, 20:03

Except from an E-mail I received earlier today:
Over the last few weeksthere has been an overall load surge causing some stability issues on a couple of our pro servers. This happens from time to time as certain sites attract additional traffic etc. We are aware of this and the issue is being attended to as I write. We are actually bringing an entirely new server cluster online, as a target for new accounts, plus a migration target for heavier user accounts, to better balance load on existing servers. This is almost complete and its impact should be felt for all users over the coming weeks.

We have also some improvements planned for our backup services which will take significant load off certain machines; plus we have started to replace phpfgcgi with mod_ruid, to again further lessen load and increase performance. If you use phpcgi let me know, mod_ruid might help some.

Right now we are monitoring the two servers (prohost4 and prohost6) with an extra level of attention. Any fault that does occur is being rapidly responded to and should affect you no more than a few minutes. If this becomes too onerous we can of course arrange for you to move to a different server on the existing cluster, that should help reduce your issues quickly.

Ideally we would like to move you to the new server cluster coming online, as that will offer the best in terms of performance enhancements and reliability boosts. Right now we are hoping to get things live in a week or two at most. If you would be happy to wait until that time I am sure I could arrange for a speedy migration and of course some service credit for the disruption too.

Return to “Site News”