The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Positive Passion

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Dec 2018, 18:52

PENK wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:How does an interim manager really work though? Who signs anyone in the January transfer window? The interim guy? The Director of Football - that they don't have? Ed Woodward?

There were reports today that "the club" (not Mourinho) were preparing a bid from Douglas Costa from Juve.

In the days of Martin Edwards, Ferguson would give him a list of players he would like, and Edwards would try and negotiate a purchase - not always successfully - and the price.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Dec 2018, 09:55

Can’t believe what Roy Keane was saying about the situation this week.

He absolutely lambasted the players for “throwing Mourinho under the bus”.

WTAF has that Portuguese cunt been doing to his players for the last 2 years?

And now some tossers in the media are suggesting that yesterday’s 5-1 win is an indication that they really weren’t giving their best under Mourinho.

Unbelievable.

They have been playing to his plans and his instructions under threat of being dropped and named and shamed if they didn’t do as told.

The shackles were off yesterday and they must have felt brilliant. And it showed.

Looks like now that Mourinho has gone the whole narrative is changing. Hilarious really.

The guy is a dinosaur, lightyears behind the progressive managers occupying the Top 5 places in the PL now. Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 23 Dec 2018, 22:12

[quote="Lord Rother" Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.[/quote]

Does he need another job?

He should have been able to put enough by to get by for the rest of his life, even without the payout Utd will give him.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Dec 2018, 00:55

John aka Josh wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.

He should have been able to put enough by to get by for the rest of his life, even without the payout Utd will give him.

His ego needs the attention and the power.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2018, 08:58

The Modernist wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:
Lord Rother wrote: Can’t see anyone wanting him but more fool any club side in the upper echelons of any decent league that do appoint him - unless it’s on a 1 year non-renewable contract, regardless of the apparent success in that year.

His ego needs the attention and the power.

There's certainly a bit of that to him, yes.

However I think this time he has been sacked and will not be able to claim (although he unquestionably will) that he leaves the club 'as a winner'. And that will hurt his pride, I'm sure.

Interesting that all the teams he's being associated with (Real, Inter etc) are clubs he's previously managed. I don't think it's any certainty that any current, top notch team are going to take the risk with him. He's damaged goods at present and appears increasingly out-of-synch with how the game has progressed.

I wonder, if the Portuguese job becomes available next summer (after the Nations League finals in Portugal) whether that might be a sound place for him to re-establish himself?
From the heart – may it return to the heart!
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 24 Dec 2018, 09:37

His career opportunities on other fronts appear equally lmited after his application for a chef's job at Pizza Hut was rejected on the grounds that he'd never make four seasons

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2018, 09:41

Ah, humour...I recognise that.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 24 Dec 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Dec 2018, 09:41

Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder, if the Portuguese job becomes available next summer (after the Nations League finals in Portugal) whether that might be a sound place for him to re-establish himself?

It's a bit of a hiding to nothing though, isn't it? He'd be taking over a fairly poor team who've massively over-achieved recently. It's not likely he'd come out of that looking good, especially as he needs to work with what he's got, and youth coming through, which isn't exactly his skill-set.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2018, 09:44

I agree but he has always said he wants to do the job and this may be the perfect time.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Dec 2018, 11:57

Diamond Dog wrote:I agree but he has always said he wants to do the job and this may be the perfect time.

With Ronaldo nearing retirement age (internationally, one suspects, though the guy’s cyborg fitness may keep him going a good while longer), Mourinho has a readymade excuse for when it all goes pear-shaped.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Dec 2018, 19:08

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Dec 2018, 15:53

Shaw told Sky Sports: "I think you can see from the outside how much he has changed things in such a short space of time.

"He is just a really positive manager, he knows what the club needs and also what the fans want in the way we are playing.

"He's bringing that attacking, quick play back to Old Trafford.

"I'm sure the fans are going to appreciate that as much as we [the players] do."

Oooof.

The difference in their play is amazing. What a relief. I should imagine some of the players can’t take the smile of their faces even when asleep.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Dec 2018, 21:07

You can see it in the players faces... they're actually smiling before, during and after games... I don't know if Ole has done anything other than just remove the fear factor that Jose lives by.... they shouldn't get too carried away (they have a soft part of their schedule at present) but they can't possibly be anything other than thrilled by the dramatic change in the three games so far.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Dec 2018, 21:46

What it will do is give the new manager a strong idea of the players he can build around. Before you didn't know whether most of them were ' not Man Utd players' or 'Not Man Utd players under Mourinho'.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jan 2019, 12:24

The Modernist wrote:What it will do is give the new manager a strong idea of the players he can build around. Before you didn't know whether most of them were ' not Man Utd players' or 'Not Man Utd players under Mourinho'.

I think we have the answer to that now. Eight games, eight wins, +17 goal difference... last two wins away at Spurs & Arsenal.

They were not bad players. They were just horribly coached and managed.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 27 Jan 2019, 12:42

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote:What it will do is give the new manager a strong idea of the players he can build around. Before you didn't know whether most of them were ' not Man Utd players' or 'Not Man Utd players under Mourinho'.

I think we have the answer to that now. Eight games, eight wins, +17 goal difference... last two wins away at Spurs & Arsenal.

They were not bad players. They were just horribly coached and managed.

God help his next team.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Jan 2019, 21:05

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47010477

Spot On.

Except the bit about the possibility of Mourinho looking in the mirror and deciding to reinvent himself as a modern manager which is never gonna happen.

In other news... says a lot that Mourinho’s go-to man Fellaini has played just 3 mins under Solsjkaer and is now on his way out.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 15 Feb 2019, 20:23

PSG were too good for them. I think Klopp and Liverpool will get a result at Old Trafford - huge game, but reckon United are fallible in defence.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 16 Feb 2019, 15:22

Toby wrote:PSG were too good for them. I think Klopp and Liverpool will get a result at Old Trafford - huge game, but reckon United are fallible in defence.

No complaints about the PSG result, clearly the better team won. Once Martial and Lingard were injured our attacking options were severely dented and second half we never looked like getting a result. A silly sending off for Pogba just to compound matters but in all honesty with or without him for the 2nd leg the tie has gone now. Both Martial and Lingard are both out for the Liverpool game also, and I'm not expecting anything other than a Liverpool win.

ps: how bad and off the pace was Sanchez the other night when he came on?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Feb 2019, 14:15

Tomahawk Kid wrote:
ps: how bad and off the pace was Sanchez the other night when he came on?

I think he's gone. The past two years have seen a fairly precipitous decline in his overall play - he's a high energy guy who loses a massive amount once he loses that zip. He has lost that zip. I think quite possibly for good. And there's really no reason to believe it's a passing phase either. Time to ship him off to China.