The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby The Modernist » 18 Dec 2018, 13:45

The Modernist wrote: I think the Glazers need to bring in a Director of Football to oversee and overhaul all the areas that United are struggling in at the moment, and that's not just the first team, but transfers, the academy, backroom staff etc. This needs to be done alongside any new managerial appointment. Ideally it should be done now so that the new DoF can manage the succession to Mourinho.

It appears that this is now exactly what they're doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Dec 2018, 14:59

HUGE congratulations to everyone who had the incredible foresight that it would end up sort of like this! I don't think anyone saw it coming at all when Mourinho arrived! Amazing knowledge people!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Dec 2018, 15:34

Geezee wrote:HUGE congratulations to everyone who had the incredible foresight that it would end up sort of like this! I don't think anyone saw it coming at all when Mourinho arrived! Amazing knowledge people!

I just read through the thread around 20 pages ago: the entire board laughing at Utd and wondering how long it would take for it all to unravel, apart from jimboo who was gloating that they'd hired a serial Winner.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Dec 2018, 15:43

Geezee wrote:HUGE congratulations to everyone who had the incredible foresight that it would end up sort of like this! I don't think anyone saw it coming at all when Mourinho arrived! Amazing knowledge people!

What a bitter little man you can be sometimes.

It's not our fault 'your' club appointed him.
"Excuse my dust."
"On mellow blue, birds curve and glide, Through shadows of grief she slides,"
"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 18 Dec 2018, 19:02

It may be that now people will catch on to his plan - sign a five year contract, win a trophy to say that he has won something, then deliberately send the club into decline so he gets sacked - meaning he gets a big pay-off while being free to take another (well-paid) job.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Dec 2018, 19:11

PENK wrote:

I just read through the thread around 20 pages ago: the entire board laughing at Utd and wondering how long it would take for it all to unravel, apart from jimboo who was gloating that they'd hired a serial Winner.

To be fair to Jimboo, it was a typo and he meant to write 'serial whinner'.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Dec 2018, 20:19

Diamond Dog wrote:

What a bitter little man you can be sometimes.

It's not our fault 'your' club appointed him.

Bitter? I couldn't give a flying rat's monkey what happens to that club - I'm laughing as much as anyone at this.

But it's just as funny to hear all the "I TOLD YOU SOs" about something which was about as predictable as you can get.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 19 Dec 2018, 08:08

Geezee wrote:
But it's just as funny to hear all the "I TOLD YOU SOs" about something which was about as predictable as you can get.

When Nostradogus speaks, it's a foolish BCBer who fails to listen!

I don't know about you, Geezee, but I for one will be heeding his Old Bore's Almanac's advice that the next few months could turn chilly and wearing a coat and scarf when I venture out.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 08:43

caramba wrote:
Geezee wrote:

I don't know about you, Geezee, but I for one will be heeding his Old Bore's Almanac's advice that the next few months could turn chilly and wearing a coat and scarf when I venture out.

Talking about bitter little men.....
"Excuse my dust."
"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Dec 2018, 08:45

A pint of black sheep for me, ta.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 19 Dec 2018, 08:53

PENK wrote:
Toby wrote:Barca, Real, Bayern and United thrive, to a certain extent, on managers who have been at the club for years perhaps as former players. They understand the culture, the politics etc.

So what you're saying is

or

I was just listening, with a vague sense of disbelief gradually penetrating the early morning daze, to Paul Ince on the BBC's football podcast.
He was promoting Sparky as the interim manager. A few minutes later, he suggested himself as the new director of football. Well, they're both "available".

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 09:00

northernsky wrote:I was just listening, with a vague sense of disbelief gradually penetrating the early morning daze, to Paul Ince on the BBC's football podcast.
He was promoting Sparky as the interim manager. A few minutes later, he suggested himself as the new director of football. Well, they're both "available".

Now... I was listening to Gary Neville last night, where he was asked if he would accept any future role at Old Trafford. He looked genuinely puzzled/exasperated by the question and responded (and I paraphrase for the bitter little men out there) "I shouldn't be asked! It's all about securing the best in field for all of the main roles, and I'm not qualified" which I thought was a very honest answer.
"Excuse my dust."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Dec 2018, 09:07

Mark Hughes? :lol:

Ince can barely string a sentence together. I don’t think he’s a particularly smart man
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 19 Dec 2018, 09:08

Solskjaer?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 09:18

How does an interim manager really work though? Who signs anyone in the January transfer window? The interim guy? The Director of Football - that they don't have? Ed Woodward?

It looks very very dysfunctional at Old Trafford at the moment. They appear to be writing off this season and hoping to secure a decent replacement in time for next season. But if they don't make the Champions League - which is extremely unlikely- that's not going to help them either. They have a squad that needs to be drastically altered - there are masses of deadwood contracts there- but won't realistically be able to start that until the end of the season.

It's a tough assignment, for sure.
"Excuse my dust."

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 19 Dec 2018, 09:33

Diamond Dog wrote:
caramba wrote:
Geezee wrote:

Talking about bitter little men.....

Says the man who can't take a joke.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Dec 2018, 10:06

Toby wrote:Solskjaer?

He knows the club culture and is well-liked. Some stability and calmness perhaps until the move for Pochettino at the end of the season (I'm guessing at this point Zidane is not in the picture)?

He got relegated and sacked at Cardiff but had a rubbish team to work with, and he has been good in Norway with Molde, playing a Klopp-style high-energy pressing game. He has apparently only just extended his contract there, so I wonder if he will go back there in May (the Norwegian season running April-October); I couldn't see anything about it on the reports I read.
Last edited by Penk! on 19 Dec 2018, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Dec 2018, 10:07

Diamond Dog wrote:How does an interim manager really work though? Who signs anyone in the January transfer window? The interim guy? The Director of Football - that they don't have? Ed Woodward?

There were reports today that "the club" (not Mourinho) were preparing a bid from Douglas Costa from Juve.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Dec 2018, 10:18

PENK wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:How does an interim manager really work though? Who signs anyone in the January transfer window? The interim guy? The Director of Football - that they don't have? Ed Woodward?

There were reports today that "the club" (not Mourinho) were preparing a bid from Douglas Costa from Juve.

And that's the worrying thing from their point of view - who exactly in 'the club' is buying players? Neville was alluding to this last night - when Mourinho was saying that he wasn't allowed to sign players, who exactly was stopping him doing so? If it was Woodward, then god help Man Utd because a financial genius he may be, but he is totally unqualified to be making football decisions. If it's a 'committee' of some type - who? Surely the club need to be more transparent than a faceless committee making personnel decisions (and apparently over-ruling the manager)? I understand how a Director Of football would do that, but that's not how I understand Woodward's role to be?
"Excuse my dust."

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Dec 2018, 16:29

PENK wrote:
Toby wrote:Solskjaer?

He has apparently only just extended his contract there, so I wonder if he will go back there in May (the Norwegian season running April-October).

Utd’s season will be long over by April so I guess he can just go back.