Tonto Papadopoulos wrote:"Respect, respect, respect!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45325398

:lol:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Aug 2018, 09:28

I said at the time of his appointment that it was a terrible decision that would quickly have the likes of Bobby Charlton shaking their heads, but how quickly he has become a dinosaur is incredible.

But the evidence has been there for all to see. To their cost Man Utd couldn’t see it at the time and have been slow to react which has done so much damage and cost them so much money.

2 years ago Lord Rother wrote:
I seriously think he's finished. And I think he knows it too.

I suspect he'll be out of Man Utd before the end of the season.

The other players will be seriously unimpressed that he has specifically singled out Shaw for criticism and Ashley Young for praise whilst suggesting most of them can't handle the pressure of playing for Man Utd. Most will be seriously unimpressed that he is persisting with Rooney in a position he is ineffective in, thus completely blunting Pogbalotelli's potential.

I appreciate that it isn't essential for players to like their manager, but it is absolutely imperative that they respect him. The Man Utd players will have lost a lot of respect for him over that. Bloody hard to get it back, if not impossible. Chelsea players lost all respect for him after the Eva Caneiro scandal, and his treatment of John Terry, and singling out Hazard amongst others.

Mourinho knew he was finished at Chelsea before he was shown the door. Jason Cundy has said he knows for a fact that Jose told the board "its over, I can't turn this around..."

The fact he has waltzed into Man Utd and repeated the mistakes is fairly astonishing but totally indicative of a guy who has lost it.

The self-hype and ego have completely overtaken good sense, pragmatism and patience.

He is finished as a top club manager but will doubtless soon be reinventing himself as an international manager. Probably have worked his way down to Qatar by the time they host the World Cup.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2018, 09:44

Diamond Dog wrote:Opinion, not fact. Just as mine is opinion, not fact.

As I said, if Man Utd are in such need that they have to qualify for the CL, then Mourinho should be the man (though I very much doubt he would have got Chelsea there this season).

My issue is whether the option to replace LVG with Jose is, in fact, a better long term appointment for the club. I happen to think, based on what we know thus far, it may well not be. I'm not certain, because maybe this particular leopard can change his spots, but I remain unconvinced of that.

It may be that he does enough in two two or three seasons he is there to justify the decision - maybe he will steady the ship, make CL qualification a relatively straightforward thing, and pass on a resurgent club to his successor, with the youth policy thriving and the fans happy with the style of football being played. That is a possibility, in which case the risk was justified.

However, the overtures being made to Zlatan - from Mourinho himself, maybe?- suggest a guy ready to come in, buy extremely expensive, senior players, to gain victory now. If Zlatan does go there, where does that leave Rashford and Martial? Two players who really want first team football to thrive and who were probably looking to compete for the lone striker role. If Zlatan arrives, how much football are they going to see in that position, realistically? You know, I know and they know (because the whole world knows) that Mourinho is never going to play two up top.... think about that.

Of course, as Toby suggests, maybe Jose really is ready to settle down and build the club in the long term. I'm merely suggesting (in the previous fifteen years) he has never given the slightest inkling that the club's long term success is his motivator. I see no reason to believe his modus operandi will change - that's based on his career thus far, not some pipe dream/wish.

Here's a question - We go through 2016-17 & 2017-18...and we get into the New Year of 2019........ do you think Mourinho will still be at Man Utd, looking at players in that transfer window? And, whether he is or not, how many players do you think he will have playing at Old Trafford under the age of 22?

I fully understand the loathing of LVG. I just think what he has achieved is being under-estimated. He took a club in disarray and who had a shocking defence. He got them into the CL at the first time of asking and very narrowly missed out this year. He won an FA Cup. He made Man United as good as there is defensively in the EPL. He brought through four or five young, talented players for the future. He was clearly working on a three year plan - who knows what would have happened offensively next year?

As you know, I'm not a Man Utd fan. But I have no hatchet to bury with the club. I'm just giving an honest opinion of the change of manager. In my eyes, Man Utd have embarked on a high risk strategy with a manager whose history suggests he isn't a long term solution, that is all.

From May 24th 2016.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2018, 13:19

Actually if you go back to around May 23rd 2016 of this thread (for me, it's page 112) you'll find some really insightful comments regarding Mourinho's (what was then) anticipated appointment, and what effect it will have on the club.

And you'll also get the opportunity to see Jimboo making a complete and utter tit of himself, in defence of the mighty Jose.

Honestly - it's a good read.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2018, 16:33

Another thing (while we're here).... maybe Jose should have said to Woodward pre-season "Listen Ed - I know I say I want that Brazilian midfielder Fred but, in reality, the position I really need strengthening is centre back. Yes I know I spent £60+ million there last season but, well I have to confess - it just hasn't worked out. So - here's a list of five centre backs... I desperately need at least one but, if to get two I have to sell one of the five I currently have, then I'm happy to do so. Fred's going to cost £60 millm, so that's the budget. I stress - the centre back position is where I really need to strengthen. I can do without another anonymous midfielder, especially for £60 mill. Got that?"

Maybe he would have got his beloved centre back(s) then - and maybe even have shipped out one (or two) of the ramshackle mob he has in that position at the moment into the bargain.

See that seems like good business to me - a bit of compromise. But do you think that ever entered his mind? Nah, thought not.

By the way - Fred. £60 million. Just think about that.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Aug 2018, 17:41

Looks shit to me but there’s probably a good player in there that won’t come out while shackled by Mourinho’s management.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2018, 19:00

Lord Rother wrote:Looks shit to me but there’s probably a good player in there that won’t come out while shackled by Mourinho’s management.

Maybe. But Mahrez or Fred for £60 million - which do you fancy?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Aug 2018, 20:18

Hmmm.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2018, 20:41

BREAKING NEWS. Old Trafford is being renamed the O3 Arena.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Sep 2018, 22:24

Mourinho and Pogbalotelli - a fantastic double act that is generating belly laughs across large swathes of the country.

The Glazers tend to be very loyal to their managers, only getting rid at end of season (or in Moyes’ case when mathematical chances of qualifying for the CL had gone (I think)) so we may we’ll have 6 more months of this fun.

I’m not sure football was supposed to be THAT much fun.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 30 Sep 2018, 01:37

Half the football journos in England will be let go if he gets sacked.
king of the divan

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 12:07

It's getting better all the time......

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 13:12

Manchester United captain Antonio Valencia has apologised for liking an Instagram post which called for manager Jose Mourinho to be sacked.

The 33-year-old, who reports said had fallen out with Mourinho, returned to the team for Tuesday's 0-0 draw with Valencia in the Champions League.

After the game, he liked a picture of himself which had the caption: "It's time for Mourinho to go."

The Ecuadorian later wrote he liked the post "without reading the text".

"These are not my views and I apologise for this," the full-back said on Twitter. "I am fully supportive of the manager and my team-mates. We are all giving our everything to improve the results.
"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45730077

You couldn't make this up.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Oct 2018, 15:30

It's going to drag on isn't it. I mean, I thought Mourinho would go but now I feel he will dig his heels in. This was his dream job and there is a sense that if he's sacked it will be difficult to see him at a top, top club again. The magic has gone- it'll be the Portugal job and then China for one last payday.

This is going to dominate the news narrative for ages and I suspect it is going to get quite dull.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 16:09

Pansy Puff wrote:Yes I can quite imagine watching United implode slowly through a long and bitter divorce would get quite tedious.
:lol:

Well quite! :lol:

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Oct 2018, 17:32

Toby wrote:It's going to drag on isn't it. I mean, I thought Mourinho would go but now I feel he will dig his heels in. This was his dream job and there is a sense that if he's sacked it will be difficult to see him at a top, top club again. The magic has gone- it'll be the Portugal job and then China for one last payday.

This is going to dominate the news narrative for ages and I suspect it is going to get quite dull.

Qatar

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Oct 2018, 11:02

It's qite rare to find a pundit saying things that are genuinely insightful, but Liam Rosenoir nails he current problems at United.
Worth a watch..

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Oct 2018, 11:37

I watched that on the night. Rosenoir absolutely said it right but, to be fair, it's what many have been saying for quite some time.

Yes they do lack pace in midfield but.... that's by design, not by accident. He signed Matic. He signed Pogba. He insists on playing Fellaini, Herrera, McTominay. In combinations of two or three. It's him and he's getting more passive year on year. Think back to that Chelsea team - Robben & Duff were true wide midfield players along with Joe Cole & Frank Lampard. You had Wayne Bridge & Glen Johnson or Paulo Ferreira as full backs - players who would get forward regularly, and quickly.

Compare that to now. There's your problem. Oh, and that Makalele did the job of Matic, Fellaini & Herrera put together.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Oct 2018, 12:16

I was always felt Ashley Cole regressed as an attacking full back under Mourinho, although you could argue he improved in other respects.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Oct 2018, 18:01

2 down after 10 mins.....