The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Aug 2018, 07:31

Commercially they're an enormous success.

Sadly that leads to a short term-ism with managerial appointments. No one in their right mind believed Mourinho was the man to build for the future, give kids a chance, and buy for the better of the club long term. He's stayed exactly true to type - but hasn't yet got either of the two big trophies to justify that kind of footballing model. Unless he gets one of them this season, he's toast. If he's even given that long.

And then Man United start the painful rebuilding process again - for the fourth time in six years. It's not a nice thought if you support the club, is it?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Aug 2018, 10:27

Pochettino it is then. They will go all out to get him.

Whether he wants to go is another matter.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Aug 2018, 10:48

Toby wrote:Pochettino it is then. They will go all out to get him.

Er..he hasn't been sacked yet and we're only two games into the season!

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 12:10

He's lost the dressing room though, G. The echoes of Chelsea a few years ago are unmistakable. Once the players stop playing for you, and as has already been said, they are good players seemingly turned bad overnight, then you fucked in this day and age.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 12:14

Toby wrote:Pochettino it is then. They will go all out to get him.

Daniel Levy, though.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Aug 2018, 12:22

Oh for sure. Whether United can get him is an entirely different matter. I imagine Pochettino will be tempted, but he could end up being a part of another drama or he could attempt to write himself into Tottenham's history books. Whether they have the resources to help him achieve that is difficult to say. He has achieved a great deal but the next step may be impossible to bridge. United have resources that Spurs can only dream of.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Aug 2018, 12:51

Tonto Papadopoulos wrote:He's lost the dressing room though, G. The echoes of Chelsea a few years ago are unmistakable. .

Well strictly speaking that's also incorrect. What you're saying is a prediction not a fact. Chelsea's bad form continued for a couple of months and then he was sacked. United's bad form has lasted for one game so far.
I'm not saying it will end well for Mourinho at United, I don't think it will either, but it's premature to talk as if he's already been sacked..he hasn't.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Aug 2018, 13:19

For what it's worth, at this point, I think the most likely scenario is that he'll be replaced at the end of the season.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 13:48

If the likes of Pogba do a decent impression of disgruntled Diego Costa / Eden Hazard, expect him gone before then.
Goatboy to Belle:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Aug 2018, 14:46

If Mourinho goes before Christmas, I think they'd go for someone like Zidane. They may even favour him over Pocchetino at the end of the season. I'm sure Poccchetino would jump at the chance, were it offered.
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Aug 2018, 15:44

He'd cost them an absolute fortune - he's contracted to Spurs for years.
Goatboy to Belle:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Aug 2018, 15:46

Diamond Dog wrote: It's so obvious there is a power play going on there right now - with Pogba clearly leading the charge for change. His post match interview was really telling - when asked what Mourinho had said at half time he started to answer and then smiled coyly and said "I don't like answering - you'll need to ask him". Almost like he just remembered in time the 'agreed process' and stop himself ... and let Mourinho hang himself.

And Mourinho today, in a very terse press conference, gave his response.... when asked about the Pogba comment above, his response ? "I don't like to talk for others, you'd need to ask him "... (I paraphrase the exact wording).

Eye for an eye..... :lol:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 24 Aug 2018, 15:49

It's not good. I wish we were playing them this weekend.
Goatboy to Belle:

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 27 Aug 2018, 21:29

“Relax lads, it’s Spurs!”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Aug 2018, 22:37

Diamond Dog wrote: I'm sure Poccchetino would jump at the chance, were it offered.

Or maybe not :)

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Aug 2018, 23:17

He rejigged the defence for tonight's game, but obviously to no avail. A supposedly sound defence has been their main strength under Mourinho, so if that goes he's in big trouble as they're never going to be free scoring.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 28 Aug 2018, 00:28

"Respect, respect, respect!"
Goatboy to Belle:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2018, 06:15

The Modernist wrote:He rejigged the defence for tonight's game, but obviously to no avail. A supposedly sound defence has been their main strength under Mourinho, so if that goes he's in big trouble as they're never going to be free scoring.

I think for the first time I can remember in English football, he looks tactically shot at the moment. He's becoming the new "tinker man", never picking the same players or formations or tactics. And he can clearly blame the central defenders last night, without actually doing so, and say he never bought those...but he did spend over £60 million on Bailly and Lindelof and they were equally as bad last week (and were both dropped this week). Who knows where he got the idea to play Herrera as a centre back in a three, or Pogba (I think) right of a top two/three. To be honest when, after 90 minutes, no one quite knows exactly what formation they did actually play - or who filled which roles within that- then it suggests they were a shambles. Which they were.

I think in the walk off the pitch and the interview afterwards I saw an emotion I don't recall from Jose last nght - fear. Pure naked fear. I think he knows it's only a matter of time before the Man Utd experiment is over - and he'll go as a failure. A failure that wasted a huge amount of money on decidedly average players and never got them to perform. And set a few promising youngsters back too - maybe irreparably. The first real blot on his management CV.

One last thing - Ed Woodward is not coming out of this with any credit either. The press briefing that completely undermined Mourinho on the eve of the first match, and the sulking/scowling/shaking of the head in the stands (quite clearly for the benefit of the cameras/the Glazer's) has been absolutely appalling. Hopefully he'll get sent on his way too - but I very much doubt that, because he makes loads of money for the club/the Glazer's. And that seems to be all that matters.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 28 Aug 2018, 06:21

They lost because Pogba has started dying his hair again. There’s a clear negative correlation between the outlandishness of his hair and the level of his performance. When he won the World Cup in summer, he did it with a plain, natural buzzcut.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2018, 07:49

Crucially, there is that too.