The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Nov 2018, 08:50

Darkness_Fish wrote:Just seemed that Jose deemed it a write-off from the start, never even really gave it a go, did they?

It's the Mourinho default when they play a good team, particularly away:

a) Drop Mata
b) Pick Fellaini
c) Pick Matic
d) Pick Herrera

And then wonder why the 'flyers' up top lose the ball, due to lack of support?

Incredibly they got back into it at 2-1 (due to Ederson's incredible decision that cost a penalty - absolutely agree, there is a growing trend here) but it would have been an absolute travesty had Man City not got three points from that game. The third goal though crystallised all that is different about the two teams - 44 passes, over two minutes possession and a great finish. The gulf between the two sides is vast.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 13 Nov 2018, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Nov 2018, 10:13

Interesting for both clubs. City fans must be worried just how much longer Guardiola is going to be there, given his tenure at both Barcelona and Bayern. I suspect maybe 2 or 3 seasons more. United fans will be worried that Mourinho basically does "enough" to keep going there indefinitely, particularly if Poch at Spurs decided to stay there. He'll win them some cups, but right now the League and the Champion's League are out of reach for the forseeable future.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 13 Nov 2018, 02:00

More Marijuana Felony's required. Is USA Soccer Guy on the money?
king of the divan

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Nov 2018, 09:15

???

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 01 Dec 2018, 22:40

The longer this goes on the worse it becomes.

Now everyone EXPECTS dross from this team. And everyone EXPECTS the manager to hang a player or 2 out to dry after every game.

Why is he still there? It seems like he’s got some hold over the club and although he is doing terrible damage nobody has the balls to sack the Special Once.

It actually is pretty bizarre.

As is this.... I’m not sure what he’s trying to say.

"I would say Marcus Rashford was a mad dog," Mourinho added.

"He was, let's say, very, very tired with little problems. That appetite, that desire, that fire that you have, you need that to recover the ball faster and to recover the ball higher on the pitch, but these are just details.

"He was injured, he was asking to come off. Some players with that kind of injury do not play for two weeks, but Marcus no, Marcus I am pretty sure he will be fine for the next one. It is one kick here, one kick there, one fall here, one fall there, fatigue, lots of running, lots of movement, 75 minutes and he was done."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Dec 2018, 17:46

News just in: Utd aren't very good. They should sign someone like Pogba, strong, direct, can pass a ball.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Dec 2018, 17:54

I'm just looking at the match stats.

Possession
Liverpool 66%-34% Man Utd
Shots
Liverpool 36-6 Man Utd
On target
Liverpool 11-2 Man Utd
Corners
Liverpool 13-2 Man Utd
Fouls
Liverpool 6-14 Man Utd

Watching it was like watching a top team playing against a Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce side. An abject refusal to compete, just blind hope that they'd hold out for the draw.

How much is Mourinho getting paid for this? He is not even trying any more, he is just sitting there and accepting the massive pile of money he gets every week.

Why aren't the fans protesting this utter shit they are getting served up with? I don't even like the club and it's making me angry!

Surely that has to be the end?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 16 Dec 2018, 18:20

PENK wrote:I'm just looking at the match stats.

Possession
Liverpool 66%-34% Man Utd
Shots
Liverpool 36-6 Man Utd
On target
Liverpool 11-2 Man Utd
Corners
Liverpool 13-2 Man Utd
Fouls
Liverpool 6-14 Man Utd

Watching it was like watching a top team playing against a Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce side. An abject refusal to compete, just blind hope that they'd hold out for the draw.

How much is Mourinho getting paid for this? He is not even trying any more, he is just sitting there and accepting the massive pile of money he gets every week.

Why aren't the fans protesting this utter shit they are getting served up with? I don't even like the club and it's making me angry!

NO !

Keep him.

He's a winner.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Dec 2018, 18:41

This is the best thing to happen to the premiership since Leicester winning it!

Long may he stew
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2018, 08:29

PENK wrote:Watching it was like watching a top team playing against a Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce side. An abject refusal to compete, just blind hope that they'd hold out for the draw.

The only thing keeping him in the job is that they are still in the Champions League.

He'll be gone at the end of the season - and straight into another big job somewhere else during the course of next season.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2018, 08:31

But, that having been said, he is getting more delusional :

"[Can we] win the title? Of course not. But we can still finish fourth," Mourinho told Sky Sports.

"It's not easy but for sure we are going to finish in the top six."

There is zero chance of Top Four and if he really believes they are certainties for the top six, that probably explains the complacency around Old Trafford this season.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Dec 2018, 10:38

The intriguing thing about this is that Pochettino, who is obviously the manager that United really need and want, will be looking at what he’s achieving at Spurs (without any money atm) and think “why would I go to Old Trafford?”.

We are getting to a point where the truly huge clubs have a culture that can be impossible at times to operate in. Barca, Real, Bayern and United thrive, to a certain extent, on managers who have been at the club for years perhaps as former players. They understand the culture, the politics etc. Outsiders can work, as Guardiola did at Bayern, but that’s because he is an outstanding coach.

For me, United need Giggs or one of that lot to be at the helm. Or a complete reset.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 17 Dec 2018, 11:14

Toby wrote:Barca, Real, Bayern and United thrive, to a certain extent, on managers who have been at the club for years perhaps as former players. They understand the culture, the politics etc.

So what you're saying is

or

fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 17 Dec 2018, 12:25

Either of those would be a huge improvement on the current disgrace.
The Liverpool game yesterday is the first I've seen of Utd for a very long time. Awful to watch, no saving grace at all. How they've been able to keep De Gea all this time is beyond me.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2018, 12:40

Geezee wrote:Either of those would be a huge improvement on the current disgrace.
The Liverpool game yesterday is the first I've seen of Utd for a very long time. Awful to watch, no saving grace at all. How they've been able to keep De Gea all this time is beyond me.

It never fails to amaze me that the two players who have the necessary guile to potentially unlock defences (Mata & Pogba) are sitting on the bench, meanwhile Matic, Herrera & Fellaini get pick picked almost automatically. He isn't making any attempt whatsoever to hide his intentions nowadays - it is brute force and to hell with nuance.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Dec 2018, 12:52

Toby wrote:The intriguing thing about this is that Pochettino, who is obviously the manager that United really need and want, will be looking at what he’s achieving at Spurs (without any money atm) and think “why would I go to Old Trafford?”.

We are getting to a point where the truly huge clubs have a culture that can be impossible at times to operate in. Barca, Real, Bayern and United thrive, to a certain extent, on managers who have been at the club for years perhaps as former players. They understand the culture, the politics etc. Outsiders can work, as Guardiola did at Bayern, but that’s because he is an outstanding coach.

For me, United need Giggs or one of that lot to be at the helm. Or a complete reset.

I don't think I agree. Ferguson had no prior connection to United.
However there is a total lack of football leadership and clear vision at the club these last few years, no clear idea on how they'll transition successfully to a post-Ferguson era. I think the Glazers need to bring in a Director of Football to oversee and overhaul all the areas that United are struggling in at the moment, and that's not just the first team, but transfers, the academy, backroom staff etc. This needs to be done alongside any new managerial appointment. Ideally it should be done now so that the new DoF can manage the succession to Mourinho.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Dec 2018, 13:42

Well if Man Utd want to go for Giggs or a Gary Neville then good luck to them but I think they would be barking up the wrong tree. I don't see them as analogous to Barcelona, say, where the footballing culture from top to bottom is far more clearly defined. In that situation you can have former players adapt to management and maybe tinker a little bit with the system and get consistent results (also an easier league of course too) with a greater degree of certainty I think. There is football intelligence that their players have that suits management too. I don't quite get the same quality with British players although I certainly don't think Giggs or Neville etc are "thick" but they are clearly not a Guardiola or an Enrique.

With Jose it looks not just like bloody minded perversity but something almost verging on self sabotage and vandalism. He increasingly appears as a bitter old man doing a job he doesn't love anymore. It's kinda sad but I don't have any sympathy.

Man Utd need a vision off the pitch and a return to the attacking football they claim to espouse. Despite everything they have some very good players and a new manager should be able to whip them into far better shape relatively quickly too. I don't see how the changes at the Arsenal couldn't be replicated at Man Utd. Yes, they need to sign some players - clearly the club has been unwilling to go along with Jose in regards to this recently - but things can turn around very quickly in football.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Dec 2018, 14:47

I’m probably being naive (giving too much credit to Chairmen) but I can’t see him getting another big club job.

International football beckons.

Or managing in China.

We shall see.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Dec 2018, 16:56

Lord Rother wrote:I can’t see him getting another big club job.

Apparently, Inter are interested. And possibly Real Madrid. Whether they're your idea of big club jobs I don't know.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Dec 2018, 18:35

Lord Rother wrote:I’m probably being naive (giving too much credit to Chairmen) but I can’t see him getting another big club job.

International football beckons.

Or managing in China.

We shall see.

I could see him going back to Milan, they love him there.

Return to “Sporting Life”