The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Rayge

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Rayge » 24 Dec 2018, 19:08

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Dec 2018, 15:53

Shaw told Sky Sports: "I think you can see from the outside how much he has changed things in such a short space of time.

"He is just a really positive manager, he knows what the club needs and also what the fans want in the way we are playing.

"He's bringing that attacking, quick play back to Old Trafford.

"I'm sure the fans are going to appreciate that as much as we [the players] do."

Oooof.

The difference in their play is amazing. What a relief. I should imagine some of the players can’t take the smile of their faces even when asleep.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Dec 2018, 21:07

You can see it in the players faces... they're actually smiling before, during and after games... I don't know if Ole has done anything other than just remove the fear factor that Jose lives by.... they shouldn't get too carried away (they have a soft part of their schedule at present) but they can't possibly be anything other than thrilled by the dramatic change in the three games so far.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Dec 2018, 21:46

What it will do is give the new manager a strong idea of the players he can build around. Before you didn't know whether most of them were ' not Man Utd players' or 'Not Man Utd players under Mourinho'.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jan 2019, 12:24

The Modernist wrote:What it will do is give the new manager a strong idea of the players he can build around. Before you didn't know whether most of them were ' not Man Utd players' or 'Not Man Utd players under Mourinho'.

I think we have the answer to that now. Eight games, eight wins, +17 goal difference... last two wins away at Spurs & Arsenal.

They were not bad players. They were just horribly coached and managed.
Cocaine

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 27 Jan 2019, 12:42

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote:What it will do is give the new manager a strong idea of the players he can build around. Before you didn't know whether most of them were ' not Man Utd players' or 'Not Man Utd players under Mourinho'.

I think we have the answer to that now. Eight games, eight wins, +17 goal difference... last two wins away at Spurs & Arsenal.

They were not bad players. They were just horribly coached and managed.

God help his next team.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Jan 2019, 21:05

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47010477

Spot On.

Except the bit about the possibility of Mourinho looking in the mirror and deciding to reinvent himself as a modern manager which is never gonna happen.

In other news... says a lot that Mourinho’s go-to man Fellaini has played just 3 mins under Solsjkaer and is now on his way out.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 15 Feb 2019, 20:23

PSG were too good for them. I think Klopp and Liverpool will get a result at Old Trafford - huge game, but reckon United are fallible in defence.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 16 Feb 2019, 15:22

Toby wrote:PSG were too good for them. I think Klopp and Liverpool will get a result at Old Trafford - huge game, but reckon United are fallible in defence.

No complaints about the PSG result, clearly the better team won. Once Martial and Lingard were injured our attacking options were severely dented and second half we never looked like getting a result. A silly sending off for Pogba just to compound matters but in all honesty with or without him for the 2nd leg the tie has gone now. Both Martial and Lingard are both out for the Liverpool game also, and I'm not expecting anything other than a Liverpool win.

ps: how bad and off the pace was Sanchez the other night when he came on?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Feb 2019, 14:15

Tomahawk Kid wrote:

I think he's gone. The past two years have seen a fairly precipitous decline in his overall play - he's a high energy guy who loses a massive amount once he loses that zip. He has lost that zip. I think quite possibly for good. And there's really no reason to believe it's a passing phase either. Time to ship him off to China.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Feb 2019, 15:11

Diamond Dog wrote:
Tomahawk Kid wrote:

I think he's gone. The past two years have seen a fairly precipitous decline in his overall play - he's a high energy guy who loses a massive amount once he loses that zip. He has lost that zip. I think quite possibly for good. And there's really no reason to believe it's a passing phase either. Time to ship him off to China.

Yeah.
He was always a flawed player, even in his pomp, but now the flaws outweigh the strengths.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Mar 2019, 14:55

Solskjaer then. I feel most fans would take Pochettino if they could have prised him away from Spurs. Like Klopp I reckon the stars just didn't align for United.

Lock Pogba down and they will be a threat for the title but I don't reckon they are at a level to challenge for the Champions League.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Mar 2019, 15:02

They can lock Pogba in but unless they get a new defence I can’t see them challenging for the PL title anytime soon.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Mar 2019, 17:57

Toby wrote:Solskjaer then. I feel most fans would take Pochettino if they could have prised him away from Spurs.

The last time I looked on Redcafe the vast majority were hoping Solskjaer would be appointed permanently.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Mar 2019, 17:59

Lord Rother wrote:They can lock Pogba in but unless they get a new defence I can’t see them challenging for the PL title anytime soon.

They probably need a centre-half and left back. But that's doable over the summer surely.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Mar 2019, 21:27

I would post here that he'll last 18 months, but that would automatically mean a period of success to rival Ferguson's, so I'll refrain. I do wonder, though, he's got a decent squad, and coming in raising spirits after the misery of Mourinho may have given him a boost with the squad. But before he started, all the pundits were talking of a root and branch reform of United, directors of football, a long term vision and strategy. Has that need gone?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Mar 2019, 07:06

The Modernist wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:They can lock Pogba in but unless they get a new defence I can’t see them challenging for the PL title anytime soon.

They probably need a centre-half and left back. But that's doable over the summer surely.

Easier said than done.

Interesting to consider whether it will be any easier to achieve now that the club is a happier place to be under nice guy (yet to win anything) Ole than under (won everything but miserable arsed despot) Jose.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Apr 2019, 11:59

Fascinating interview with LVG here... I can't help it - I really really like Louis Van Gaal.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47704834

There are some really thought provoking view points there.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Apr 2019, 14:08

Excellent interview. I like his point on "too much experience is not good, you switch to autopilot".

After another defeat by Wolves I think the Solskjaer honeymoon period will end soon. The pressure will be on if they fail to qualify for the CL.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Apr 2019, 12:01

Darkness_Fish wrote:I do wonder, though, he's got a decent squad, and coming in raising spirits after the misery of Mourinho may have given him a boost with the squad. But before he started, all the pundits were talking of a root and branch reform of United, directors of football, a long term vision and strategy. Has that need gone?

Apparently not.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Sporting Life”