Liverpool

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66608
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Liverpool

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2017, 08:44

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:I doubt Rodgers would have been able to attract Salah (who has been terrific).


I don't see why not. Liverpool are a bigger club than Roma and pay better wages.



But Klopp is a God!!
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34693
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Liverpool

Postby PENK » 11 Dec 2017, 11:53

Well 14 of the top 25 wage-payers in world football are English so that’s true, but Roma are much more regular Champions League participants so there’s that to think about. They’ve won domestic titles more recently than Liverpool too.

They do have fewer fans in Kuala Lumpur though, so maybe that swayed Salah’s thinking.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66608
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Liverpool

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2017, 19:35

PENK wrote:Well 14 of the top 25 wage-payers in world football are English so that’s true, but Roma are much more regular Champions League participants so there’s that to think about. They’ve won domestic titles more recently than Liverpool too.

They do have fewer fans in Kuala Lumpur though, so maybe that swayed Salah’s thinking.


But probably more in Liverpool itself.
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12172
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Liverpool

Postby The Modernist » 11 Dec 2017, 22:43

PENK wrote:Well 14 of the top 25 wage-payers in world football are English so that’s true, but Roma are much more regular Champions League participants so there’s that to think about. They’ve won domestic titles more recently than Liverpool too.

They do have fewer fans in Kuala Lumpur though, so maybe that swayed Salah’s thinking.


I know you're anti Liverpool Ed but to argue Roma are a bigger club is pushing it don't you think?

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34693
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Liverpool

Postby PENK » 12 Dec 2017, 06:42

Well it’s more that I think Liverpool’s reputation rests largely on past glories. Roma have always been in the second tier of clubs, not one of the real big names, but I think they’re on a par with Liverpool at the moment in terms of quality, success and chances of trophies.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51157
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Liverpool

Postby Butch Manly » 15 Dec 2017, 23:16

Klopp: "West Brom did well, to be honest. It was completely different to Everton. They had their moments, their counter-attacks, set pieces. They deserved a close result & in the end it's 0-0."

Not losing it or rattled in any way.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12331
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Liverpool

Postby Geezee » 16 Dec 2017, 07:14

PENK wrote:Well it’s more that I think Liverpool’s reputation rests largely on past glories. Roma have always been in the second tier of clubs, not one of the real big names, but I think they’re on a par with Liverpool at the moment in terms of quality, success and chances of trophies.


Indeed - and Roma may or may not be “bigger” depending on how that is defined, but they certainly are a more successful club in recent years.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12172
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Liverpool

Postby The Modernist » 16 Dec 2017, 10:12

Geezee wrote:
PENK wrote:Well it’s more that I think Liverpool’s reputation rests largely on past glories. Roma have always been in the second tier of clubs, not one of the real big names, but I think they’re on a par with Liverpool at the moment in terms of quality, success and chances of trophies.


Indeed - and Roma may or may not be “bigger” depending on how that is defined, but they certainly are a more successful club in recent years.


Barely...they've won one trophy in the last ten years. They might have qualified for the Champions League slightly more.
However this nitpicking is missing the central point I was making which was to challenge the notion that Salah would only have come to Liverpool under Klopp.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66608
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Liverpool

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Dec 2017, 18:34

Image
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66608
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Liverpool

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Dec 2017, 08:31

Liverpool players signed from Southampton:

Van Dijk = £75m
Mane = £34m
Lallana = £25m
Lovren = £20m
Clyne = £12m
Lambert = £4m

Total Investment = £170m

Southampton was bought for £15m 8 years ago.
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14443
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Liverpool

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Dec 2017, 09:01

oops wrong thread ... possibly too much festive cheer
Last edited by mentalist (slight return) on 28 Dec 2017, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
king of the divan

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14443
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Liverpool

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Dec 2017, 09:42

oops wrong thread
king of the divan

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66608
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Liverpool

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jan 2018, 08:58

So there you have it.... a week ago beat the previously unbeaten table toppers Man City... a week later lose to the bottom club (and seemingly doomed) Swansea.

Heavy Metal Football. And Liverpool just went from "Supernaut" to "Pour Some Sugar On Me" inside 7 days.
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 17480
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Liverpool

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Jan 2018, 11:55

Diamond Dog wrote:
Heavy Metal Football. And Liverpool just went from "Supernaut" to "Pour Some Sugar On Me" inside 7 days.

It's what Liverpool do.....unfortunately :(

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23277
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Liverpool

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2018, 21:24

4-0 up at Porto.

I still don't think they have the squad to make the semis, but whoever they draw in the next round will be very wary.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66608
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Liverpool

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Feb 2018, 07:34

They will scare the shit out of whoever draws them - and they're perfectly capable of going away and getting a similar result in the Quarter Final too. But they're also likely to be held scoreless at home and lose 4-3 away. They are not someone you'd put your mortgage on but - when, as now, they're firing- they're a delight to watch.


I cannot believe I just said that. :oops:
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23277
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Liverpool

Postby Toby » 15 Feb 2018, 08:10

I think the key is Firmino more than any other player. He works relentlessly hard, never seems to be injured and has magnificent technique, linking the other two up. He's not as prolific as Salah, but still, 20 goals already isn't to be sniffed at.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66608
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Liverpool

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Feb 2018, 08:28

He took his time to adapt but he's playing just about as well , in and around the box, as anyone in the EPL besides maybe De Bruyne at present.

Salah is by a country mile the signing of the season - he's very straightforward and should be relatively easy for defenders to play. But he's overflowing with confidence and that old saying "You can't coach speed" certainly applies here too.
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32414
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Liverpool

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Feb 2018, 09:54

Sticking Firmino up front has been a stroke of brilliance by Klopp. He’s a brilliant team player but now he’s added that 20 goals a season it makes such a difference.

Things look more promising at the back as well although both of the full backs need to develop the defensive side of their game a bit more but they have time on their side. Nice to see a Scot doing well at the moment. They are still a bit weak in the middle of the park up against the top sides I think and because of their pressing style they are prone to dips within games but, on their day, they can give anyone a game and with players like Salah in that kind of form I think it makes them a decent outside bet.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12172
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Liverpool

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2018, 10:07

Diamond Dog wrote:Salah is by a country mile the signing of the season - he's very straightforward and should be relatively easy for defenders to play. But he's overflowing with confidence and that old saying "You can't coach speed" certainly applies here too.


His ability to manipulate the ball to find space with a couple of touches is up there with the very best. That, allied with his speed, is his secret I think.