Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Sep 2017, 05:23

That's an interesting take on things.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Liverpool

Postby The Modernist » 28 Sep 2017, 23:26

trans-chigley express wrote:

That's an interesting take on things.

It is, but it also shows how you can use stats to skew things and suit your argument. The bottom line is that I can think of very few successful teams who had such a good attack that they could afford not to worry about defence too much..maybe a peak Barcelona or currently Man City (at least in the premiership, but I don't think they'll be able to take that approach in Europe). But Liverpool don't have anything like the attacking talent of those teams anyway so the comparison is irrelevant.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Sep 2017, 00:36

I pretty much agree. Without a good defence I really think it's hard to win anything and Liverpool are simply unable to score enough goals often enough to make up for what they concede

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 22 Oct 2017, 17:34

If I’m a Liverpool director I’m calling Jürgen Klopp into the office on Monday morning and saying he’s had two years, he’s had yay much money so why is the defence this bad? He’s got til Christmas to sort it or he’s out on his arse.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 22 Oct 2017, 17:43

I’d also have Marko Grujic in there and tell him to get a new haircut if he ever wanted to represent the club again.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Oct 2017, 06:47

Klopp publicly throwing the team under the bus ?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Oct 2017, 09:58

Grim times on Merseyside
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Oct 2017, 10:35

Huddersfield beating Man United 2-1 is a much worse result in itself than Liverpool losing to Spurs 4-1.

Sure, Liverpool's defence is worryingly bad, but they will play a lot better than that this season and it must be said that Spurs are a genuinely excellent side who seem to improve season by season. I wonder whether they'll (Liverpool) manage to make the top 4 though it must be said - United, Chelsea, Spurs and City have probably got it wrapped up already unless one of those sides implodes.

The issue though is that apart from Ancelotti, who else are Liverpool going to get as a manager?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Oct 2017, 11:13

Toby wrote:Huddersfield beating Man United 2-1 is a much worse result in itself than Liverpool losing to Spurs 4-1.

That's a hell of a non sequitur there in a Liverpool thread, Toby.

I saw an interview with Klopp today - he questioned all of his defence (the two centre backs & Gomezt right back) but, oddly enough, not Moreno at left back. Odd because that's where all of the early problems arose.

Am I right in saying that he brought Milner on and ended up with Moreno still at left back, Milner on the right of midfield and Can at right back? If so, that's a pretty bizarre way to solve a left back problem, isn't it?

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 23 Oct 2017, 23:53

Diamond Dog wrote:
Toby wrote:Huddersfield beating Man United 2-1 is a much worse result in itself than Liverpool losing to Spurs 4-1.

That's a hell of a non sequitur there in a Liverpool thread, Toby.

I saw an interview with Klopp today - he questioned all of his defence (the two centre backs & Gomezt right back) but, oddly enough, not Moreno at left back. Odd because that's where all of the early problems arose.

Am I right in saying that he brought Milner on and ended up with Moreno still at left back, Milner on the right of midfield and Can at right back? If so, that's a pretty bizarre way to solve a left back problem, isn't it?

No, Milner was playing from the start. Lovren off, Oxlade-Chamberlain on (mainly as left attacking mid), Gomez from right back into centre, Can to right back. Coutinho played more centrally when OC came on.

Problems weren't hugely down to Moreno, Lovren/Matip & Mignolet were the weakest links, Lovren the most. He may well have physical problems, definitely his mental game looks shot.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Oct 2017, 00:52

I don't agree that Liverpool need a new manager, but Klopp does need to prove he can build a defence and they need to operate the transfer market with far greater planning and focus than they have been. They didn't get it right in the summer because they failed to prioritise the right positions. Klopp's faith in the defenders at the club has come back to bite him

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Oct 2017, 05:29

^^^^
Pretty much my view too.

I was so dismayed when I saw no effort to improve the defence over the summer and feared the worse. My fears are being realised.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Oct 2017, 09:17

Well they were sniffing round Van Dijk and they bought Robertson but was he ever going to be first choice?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 24 Oct 2017, 10:12

“Sniffing round” is a very diplomatic way of putting it...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Oct 2017, 11:57

Well, aye :)

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 03 Dec 2017, 18:15

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2017, 19:49

It's only a matter of time before the "Sky Six" negotiate their own TV deals. Unlike in the NFL where the TV rights are shared evenly (and there is revenue sharing for most things) the EPL's bigger hitters were scared shitless by Leicester a couple of seasons back and they sure as shit ain't going to let that happen again. Starving the other teams of TV revenue is the first step.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 03 Dec 2017, 21:22

Indeed.

There was some talk this summer about how things had gone too far and the bubble was going to collapse, but... one gets more and more the feeling that these teams don't give a shit about the fans. They'd be perfectly happy having two million fans in Singapore or Shanghai rather than one million in Liverpool.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 07 Dec 2017, 11:46

Well they hammered Spartak, who were dreadful.

I really like Roberto Firmino. He's an intelligent footballer who is redefining the centre forward role.