Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 10:02

1 - Man City
2 - Man Utd
3 - Liverpool
4 - Spurs
5- Arsenal
6 - Chelsea

It is difficult to see beyond Man City - especially as they have strengthened again.The only hiccup could be a Champions League Final, plus long runs in both other competitions (all of which are likely). That may test them but, unlike most others, I expect them to win with nearly as much authority as last season. I don't see it being close.
Man Utd have a fine squad - and will battle and chip away. My prediction for them is based as much around the weakness of the others as their own strength, mind.
Liverpool will push Man U very very close - I can see it going to the last Sunday to decide 2/3 place. Again with them - I see a potentially long Champions League run and they don't yet have the squad yet to not let that effect them.
Spurs haven't strengthened - and that's a major concern. They are in their own stadium now though - but it's still to be seen how the players and fans actually feel about that yet. Treading water which, in reality, is going backwards.
Arsenal could be anything - such a dramatic change for them. I think 5th in his first season would be an achievement for the new manager.
Chelsea - they strike me as not being a particularly happy club, full stop. I think the new manager will have his work cut out just to keep them in the top six.

Relegated -
20 - Watford
21- Huddersfield
22- Cardiff

Besides Huddersfield no one will miss them one iota.

Surprise - I think Crystal Palace may well make it into the Top 8.

My own team - Everton have spent money again, and at least some of it has been to address a creakingly senior defence. I'm still unconvinced of Silva, but he could be anything, and it really wouldn't surprise me if the players got a first season boost and actually challenged Arsenal & Chelsea for a top six place.

First manager to be sacked is Gracia at Watford (probably first week in October) - no surprises there. However, if it's first manager to go (in any fashion) that may well be Benitez.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 08 Aug 2018, 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Aug 2018, 13:08

1. Man Utd
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. Spurs

Man U appear to be in full misery mode, and fans appear to be downbeat. Mourinho loves that, and they'll just have to win by sheer power of evil cuntitude. Plus, it's the one prediction I hope I get wrong.

I think there'll be no end of clubs queuing up to try and get relegated. Southampton still have Mark Hughes as manager, Crystal Palace might not have Zaha, and Newcastle appear to be actively seeking a catastrophe. I think Cardiff will go, but the bottom half of the table all look keen to go down. Even Leicester could be on the brink without Mahrez.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 09 Aug 2018, 18:40

Diamond Dog wrote: However, if it's first manager to go (in any fashion) that may well be Benitez.

I think he stands to lose a lot of money if he quits, so I think he'll wait to be sacked.And I dont think his reputation will be too damaged by being sacked by Ashley, to be honest, so he'll wait for that.

On the other hand, we have spent big, and if Jokanovic can gel that team quickly, we'll be fine.Happy punter, down by the river.
Bless the weather.......Image

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Aug 2018, 08:55

I was thinking about that at Man Utd - it's either the reason stated there or, just as likely, players not wanting to come to play for Mourinho.... as everyone is suggesting, I think his time there is very finite..... if he sees Xmas, I would be surprised.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Aug 2018, 18:41

andymacandy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote: However, if it's first manager to go (in any fashion) that may well be Benitez.

I think he stands to lose a lot of money if he quits, so I think he'll wait to be sacked.And I dont think his reputation will be too damaged by being sacked by Ashley, to be honest, so he'll wait for that.

Why would Ashley sack him though?

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 10 Aug 2018, 21:12

The Modernist wrote:
andymacandy wrote:

Why would Ashley sack him though?

I dont think he will, but I dont think Benitez will resign, so I was disputing Petes assertation that he would be the first to go.
He has a year left on his contract, why would he quit. But Ashley hasn't exactly broken the bank to strengthen the team, so I can see them struggling, and I think a firing is more likely than a resignation.
Bless the weather.......Image

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Aug 2018, 15:26

I realise Liverpool are very good but, if I were a West Ham fan, I'd be just a tad concerned at the moment.... defensively that was schoolboy stuff and they didn't look any better when they acually got the ball either. Worrying.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Aug 2018, 14:38

West Ham had 5 new players and held a high line. I'm not surprised they were stuffed by Liverpool.

To be honest I'm not that confident Pellegrino will be able to do much at West Ham. He has been able to spend money, but Arnautovics body language at being subbed said a lot on Sunday. I'd be surprised if we are not in a relegation scrap.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Aug 2018, 16:05

Toby wrote:West Ham had 5 new players and held a high line. I'm not surprised they were stuffed by Liverpool.

It wasn't the high line so much, it was the use of the 18 yard line as an artificial line... no matter where the ball or the opposition players were... it was embarrasingly inept. The kind of thing an under 16's coach tries and the kids go "Fuck right off".
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Aug 2018, 16:08

An incredible report shows that 11 EPL teams could have played in front of completely empty stadium for every home game...and still made a profit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Who needs fans?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Aug 2018, 08:28

Diamond Dog wrote:Spurs haven't strengthened - and that's a major concern. They are in their own stadium now though - but it's still to be seen how the players and fans actually feel about that yet.

Well when they finally get there, I guess. The fucking twats.
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Aug 2018, 14:25

Diamond Dog wrote:An incredible report shows that 11 EPL teams could have played in front of completely empty stadium for every home game...and still made a profit.

Who needs fans?

Football is nothing without Fans - Jock Stein
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 15 Aug 2018, 17:09

Jeemo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:An incredible report shows that 11 EPL teams could have played in front of completely empty stadium for every home game...and still made a profit.

Who needs fans?

I've played plenty of games in front of zero fans. It was still football.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Aug 2018, 17:42

Geezee wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Who needs fans?

I've played plenty of games in front of zero fans. It was still football.

Did you, aye. Show us your medals.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 15 Aug 2018, 18:03

As Shakespeare said, only hollow men make gallant show of their mettle.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Aug 2018, 08:18

Interesting article on the average squad age of the EPL teams :

https://www.90min.com/posts/6143994-you ... ners/44407

Some surprises in there...... not least Everton..., if we lost Jagielka & Baines, we'd probably have the youngest squad!
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Aug 2018, 18:44

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45153220

"The fans must also trust again this season," said Pellegrini. "The stadium was empty with 10 minutes to go, we can still score in that time. They need to believe but if you don't have results it is more difficult for them."

They have become a pretty fickle bunch.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 18 Aug 2018, 19:14

Oh West Ham fans are just as bad as Arsenal for sure. That's what happens when you move to a big stadium and need to fill seats.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 19 Aug 2018, 08:22

We’ve got Arsenal next week and I’m not expecting a win. 3 defeats for a start to the season - same old West Ham I’m afraid. The fact is that we were fragile under Moyes at best, and it seems we’ve got worse under Pellegrini. No pace in midfield at all.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Aug 2018, 09:42

Although the defence looks the biggest problem.

Return to “Sporting Life”