Premier League 18/19

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Nov 2018, 10:41

Toby wrote:Jokanovic sacked and replaced with Ranieri.



That was on the cards, wasn't it? Is 12 games really enough? Of course not. But it was kind of inevitable having spent all that money in the summer.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23525
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Toby » 14 Nov 2018, 11:36

There were signs at Anfield that they were beginning to turn the corner, but when you spend that amount of money there is going to be a long time before all those players bed in. Reminds me of AVB at Spurs.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Nov 2018, 11:54

Toby wrote:There were signs at Anfield that they were beginning to turn the corner, but when you spend that amount of money there is going to be a long time before all those players bed in. Reminds me of AVB at Spurs.


Where he can probably claim to be a bit unlucky was that much of that money was spent on players that weren't actually his choice - a bit like the Rodgers situation at Liverpool.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Nov 2018, 06:24

Very impressive Spurs win against Chelsea - they look better with Son playing. That being said - David Luiz :lol:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Nov 2018, 15:56

Well Arsenal certainly rode their luck there - the own goal of the season gave them the lead and Bournemouth had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Still, it's better to be lucky than good.....
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12833
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby The Modernist » 25 Nov 2018, 16:55

Diamond Dog wrote:Well Arsenal certainly rode their luck there - the own goal of the season gave them the lead and Bournemouth had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Still, it's better to be lucky than good.....


We're not playing particularly well, but Emery has got us so united and organised we're picking up wins regularly anyway. Very much a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Nov 2018, 17:01

The Modernist wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Well Arsenal certainly rode their luck there - the own goal of the season gave them the lead and Bournemouth had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Still, it's better to be lucky than good.....


We're not playing particularly well, but Emery has got us so united and organised we're picking up wins regularly anyway. Very much a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.


Very much so. I think he's doing a hell of a job turning around the mess Wenger left you in.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2018, 11:18

Mark Hughes gets sacked at Southampton.


Well there's a surprise.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6358
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Dec 2018, 11:45

Diamond Dog wrote:Mark Hughes gets sacked at Southampton.


Well there's a surprise.

That shows how far Man Utd have sunk. Failure to beat them is now grounds for dismissal for a Southampton manager.

To be fair, Hughes is a terrible manager with a terrible record, and should never have been appointed in the first place.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2018, 12:04

I'm thinking they wanted to be first to call the Allardyce Hotline.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23525
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Toby » 03 Dec 2018, 13:55

Apparently the guy in charge of Leipzig is favourite.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23525
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Toby » 03 Dec 2018, 13:57

Everton were unlucky yesterday and Arsenal look like a very good side again. Plus West Ham got an important victory; only one defeat in 5 now and we don't play another top 6 side until the New Year.

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29999
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby andymacandy » 03 Dec 2018, 19:04

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Mark Hughes gets sacked at Southampton.


Well there's a surprise.

That shows how far Man Utd have sunk. Failure to beat them is now grounds for dismissal for a Southampton manager.

To be fair, Hughes is a terrible manager with a terrible record, and should never have been appointed in the first place.

Never been relegated.
But Ive no time for him.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29999
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby andymacandy » 03 Dec 2018, 19:06

Diamond Dog wrote:I'm thinking they wanted to be first to call the Allardyce Hotline.

Prior to Hughes, they did have a decent track record of bringing in good unknowns.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12833
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby The Modernist » 03 Dec 2018, 20:27

andymacandy wrote:

Never been relegated.
[/quote]

Indeed - he cleverly manages to get the sack just before it happens. :lol:

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35033
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby PENK » 06 Dec 2018, 08:03

Strange game at Old Trafford last night. Four goals and a lasting impression of end-to-end drama and thrills, yet actually apart from the goals - all of which came from defensive mistakes - nothing whatsoever happened other than a load of niggly fouls, and there was little quality to be seen.

The only shot I remember that didn’t go in was Aubemayang’s curler that De Gea saved well. Otherwise...
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12362
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Geezee » 06 Dec 2018, 09:12

andymacandy wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Mark Hughes gets sacked at Southampton.


Well there's a surprise.

That shows how far Man Utd have sunk. Failure to beat them is now grounds for dismissal for a Southampton manager.

To be fair, Hughes is a terrible manager with a terrible record, and should never have been appointed in the first place.

Never been relegated.
But Ive no time for him.


I do wonder what happened to him - he did seem to start very well, with both Blackburn where he turned things around and initially at Man City.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12833
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby The Modernist » 06 Dec 2018, 09:18

PENK wrote:Strange game at Old Trafford last night. Four goals and a lasting impression of end-to-end drama and thrills, yet actually apart from the goals - all of which came from defensive mistakes - nothing whatsoever happened other than a load of niggly fouls, and there was little quality to be seen.

The only shot I remember that didn’t go in was Aubemayang’s curler that De Gea saved well. Otherwise...


There was a few more than that. Aubemayang's shot that hit De Gea's outstretched leg, Mikh somehow shooting over the bar from a few yards. In the second half Arsenal had enough chances to win the game. But it was more stop start than any game I've seen for ages, it was a pretty ugly game really, both sides probably got away with too much and it needed a stronger referee.

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29999
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby andymacandy » 08 Dec 2018, 09:15

Big game at Old Trafford today.I wonder if today is the day that those plucky premiership underdogs can finally turn a corner, and grind out a win against the odds.Against Fulham.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67266
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Dec 2018, 09:30

andymacandy wrote:Big game at Old Trafford today.I wonder if today is the day that those plucky premiership underdogs can finally turn a corner, and grind out a win against the odds.Against Fulham.


:lol:

I think Bournemouth have an excellent chance of inflicting the first league defeat of the season on Liverpool today. I certainly hope so, anyway.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."