Famous players who most fans don't realise played for your club

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
borofan

Re: Famous players who most fans don't realise played for your club

Postby borofan » 10 Jul 2018, 18:09

Diamond Dog wrote:
borofan wrote:
Rayge wrote:Graham Souness besmirched Spurs shirt on several occasions

And he had the attitude knocked out of him when Jack Charlton got hold of him. Unfortunately it came back when Jack left.

As I understand it, he played well in the limited time (1 European tie!) he got at Spurs but felt - and quite justifiably, in light of that Spurs team- that he ought to be getting more playing time. The manager (I think it was still Nicholson) didn't agree - and he was sold. I don;t see how that's besmirching a team really - he was an ambitious kid who felt he wasn't being appreciated enough.

He went to Boro and did get playing time - and hung around until Liverpool bid for him and Boro were (as I recall) more than happy to take the money for him.

He then went on to become one of the best midfield players in British football history. I'm guessing he thinks he won those particular arguments , don't you?

The main reason we were happy to take the money in the end was that Liverpool had tapped him up in the summer, and he was on the field for most of the games in the half season he stayed, but didn't do a stroke (I never understood why he wasn't shoved in the reserves, but John Neal, the manager at the time, was too nice a bloke to do it). They were relieved to get his surly mug out of the club in the end.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

joklend

Postby joklend » 10 Jul 2018, 18:13

Rayge wrote:
joklend wrote:Jackie Milburn, though not competitively.

If we're stretching the point, I have seen both Kenny Dalglish and Diego Maradona play for Spurs at WHL in testimonials

Milburn played in the wartime league for us, so quasi-competitive. He was a boyhood Sunderland fan apparently.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jul 2018, 19:58

borofan wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
borofan wrote:And he had the attitude knocked out of him when Jack Charlton got hold of him. Unfortunately it came back when Jack left.

As I understand it, he played well in the limited time (1 European tie!) he got at Spurs but felt - and quite justifiably, in light of that Spurs team- that he ought to be getting more playing time. The manager (I think it was still Nicholson) didn't agree - and he was sold. I don;t see how that's besmirching a team really - he was an ambitious kid who felt he wasn't being appreciated enough.

He went to Boro and did get playing time - and hung around until Liverpool bid for him and Boro were (as I recall) more than happy to take the money for him.

He then went on to become one of the best midfield players in British football history. I'm guessing he thinks he won those particular arguments , don't you?

The main reason we were happy to take the money in the end was that Liverpool had tapped him up in the summer, and he was on the field for most of the games in the half season he stayed, but didn't do a stroke (I never understood why he wasn't shoved in the reserves, but John Neal, the manager at the time, was too nice a bloke to do it). They were relieved to get his surly mug out of the club in the end.

Well that's fair enough - you would know that.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Jul 2018, 20:53

Rayge wrote:
joklend wrote:Jackie Milburn, though not competitively.

If we're stretching the point, I have seen both Kenny Dalglish and Diego Maradona play for Spurs at WHL in testimonials

In that case I’ve seen George Best and Martin Peters play for Reading.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Jul 2018, 21:44

I once thought I saw Iniesta in the Co-op car-park at Shevington. Or someone who looked like him. Or it could even have been Danny Murphy.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Jul 2018, 22:29

I went to see a lot of games with my dad iof my local club since 1978....seen a few famous players...

Romario
Ronaldo
Willie & Rene van de Kerkhoff
Willy van der Kuijlen
Gheorge Popescu
Ruud van Nistelrooij
Arjan Robben
Luc Nilis
Erik Gerets
Frank Arnesen
Soren Lerby
Jaap Stam
Hans van Breukelen
Boudewijn Zenden

And in the current World Cup:
Ola Toivonen/Berg
Kevin Strootman
Dries Mertens
Santiago Arias
Andres Guardado
Hector Moreno

PSV Eindhoven.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Sporting Life”