World Cup Memories

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

World Cup Memories

Postby KeithPratt » 17 May 2018, 11:18

The '82 World Cup was my first and this has always lodged in the mind.

And this of course was the best match of the whole tournament.

Jimbly

Re: World Cup Memories

Postby Jimbly » 17 May 2018, 20:48

1970 Mexico was the first World Cup I remember. I was 8 and my Dad was just out of hospital after his first heart attack. Because of this the telly was upstairs in his bedroom because in those days you had to have more or less complete bed rest. I remember sitting at the bottom of his bed watching the highlight programmes.

1974 West Germany was the first i that I was excited about starting. Holland were my favourite team after Scotland and I was gutted that they got beat in the final. My Uncle Hugh got a colour telly just before the final, still quite rare at the time, and I nagged my Dad like mad to ask if we could watch it at my Uncles. He did and we did.

For my birthday David got me a couple of tshirts, one was of the official logo for the 74 World Cup, I was quite chuffed that he remembered me telling him years ago about it being the first I was fully engaged with.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 May 2018, 02:24

Still makes me smile like a loon...

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 May 2018, 11:58

Speaking of loons...

Watched the game in Melbourne and got totally rekt after that. What a party!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 12:02

Fucking magical game for us. There's been a few, but that was just amazing.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 May 2018, 12:24

I remember both the Ireland and Australia games well cheering on the underdog and bouncing about like a loon when the goals were scored.

I also remember Bulgaria beating Germany too, in ‘94 I think. The year of Stoichkov

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 12:28

This was also funny

Not at the time, but in hindsight.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 18 May 2018, 21:04

Watching the 1966 final at Pontins in Paignton and running back and forwards between the seperate BBC and ITV rooms with my fellow 10 year old holiday mates.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 19 May 2018, 03:44

fange wrote:Still makes me smile like a loon...

I was going to post that. Still makes the heart race.
king of the divan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 May 2018, 08:09

Doesn't it! A huge moment in Australian football.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 May 2018, 08:20

Yes, a huge moment for the Caltex Socceroos™️
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 May 2018, 09:31

mentalist (slight return) wrote:

As great as that moment, and match was, there was this preceding moment that absolutely gave me the chills...

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 19 May 2018, 10:50

never/ever wrote:

As great as that moment, and match was, there was this preceding moment that absolutely gave me the chills...

We wuz robbed v Italy, though, as I recall.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 May 2018, 10:52

Now known as the Diving Scum.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 May 2018, 18:16

never/ever wrote:

Yes! Fantastic moment.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 May 2018, 18:18

PENK wrote:Yes, a huge moment for the Caltex Socceroos™️

:) Hey, we have to enjoy whst we can get!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Jun 2018, 05:28

The first WC I remember watching on TV was 1978 when I was 10. There was no England so I opted for Scotland as my team to cheer on. They were promptly beaten 3-1 by Peru in the opening game, struggled in a 1-1 draw with Iran then beat eventual finalists Netherlands 3-2 in their final game with a fabulous goal from Archie Gemmill.

I remember some controversy regarding Argentina beating Peru 6-0 in a match where they needed to win by a large margin to reach the final which they eventually won, much to my disappointment as I had decided to cheer for Netherlands.

The only matches I can recall watching are Scotland's 3 group games and the final. I grew up in a family of football haters so I expect I wasn't allowed to watch much of it.
Last edited by trans-chigley express on 07 Jun 2018, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Jun 2018, 09:23

I have very vague images from the 1986 world cup - mainly my dad muttering swearwords under his breath about the Argentinians - but the first one I have proper memories of is 1990 and being mesmerised by the German team. Everything seemed so optimistic and symbolic - the wall had gone down, the cold war seemed to be ending, and the good guys were winning. Except Voeller obviously. :D The Swedish team was in the WC for the first time in a long time but despite pretty high hopes we were awful in the group stages, including a dreadful game against Costa Rica. I'd gone to my first games for the qualifiers - including the famous 0-0 game against England where Terry Butcher's headwound and the fearsome English fans (keep in mind this was 1989 at the height of hooliganism) gave me nightmares.

Of course the next World Cup in 1994 is still my favourite - Sweden winning bronze, and I'll always remember the fantastic freekick in the quarter-finals against Romania that Brolin scored in extra time. I remember the anticipation leading up to that freekick so well - they were talking animatedly amongst each other, including with the coach, and I could just tell that they were about to do something unusual - which is exactly what they did, and scored. I also went to the Bulgaria-Mexico game that world cup - I think it still goes down as the longest game in the history of the world cup because the goal actually broke down, and it took them at least 30 minutes to find another goal to bring into the stadium. I remember trying to console a very pretty, heart-broken Mexican fan afterwards, but with my dad around I couldn't do go any further... :D

It's hard to beat the Germany-Brazil semifinal in the last world cup. It reaffirmed my faith that football can be enormously fun to watch. The sheer shock/comedy value, the exasperated silence, the psychology of the whole game was fascinating to watch. One could not help but shout "more! more! more!"
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Jun 2018, 12:58

First World Cup I remember was Sweden 1958, the one where all four home nations qualified (although the Welsh, who eventually did the best, got in through the back door): saw at least one England game on a fairly small set (B&W of course) – England were terrible, with that carthorse Derek Kevan featuring (although to be fair the team lost at least three of their best players, including captain, midfield genius and centre-forward, in the Munich crash) – in a large room at a holiday camp on the Isle of Wight, but main memories remain of the final between the hosts and Brazil, winning their first WC with a team featuring teenage Pele, Gilmar (even at nine I noticed the goalkeepers, the position I played), Garrincha, Zagallo, Didi and Vava.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jun 2018, 14:05

Fucking hell, what a terrible thread - all Australia and Ireland!

Anyway, what I always post when this comes up

Return to “Sporting Life”