World Cup Memories

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: World Cup Memories

Postby Penk! » 07 Jun 2018, 15:16

The Modernist wrote:Fucking hell, what a terrible thread - all Australia and Ireland!

Anyway, what I always post when this comes up

I always loved the way the ref shows Massing an extra yellow after the red, as if the foul was so bad a straight red card wouldn't do it justice!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Jun 2018, 15:17

Rayge wrote:First World Cup I remember was Sweden 1958, the one where all four home nations qualified (although the Welsh, who eventually did the best, got in through the back door): saw at least one England game on a fairly small set (B&W of course) – England were terrible, with that carthorse Derek Kevan featuring (although to be fair the team lost at least three of their best players, including captain, midfield genius and centre-forward, in the Munich crash) – in a large room at a holiday camp on the Isle of Wight, but main memories remain of the final between the hosts and Brazil, winning their first WC with a team featuring teenage Pele, Gilmar (even at nine I noticed the goalkeepers, the position I played), Garrincha, Zagallo, Didi and Vava.

I recently bought a DVD of that final - it has been surprisingly difficult to get hold of in Sweden. You'd think given that it's one of Sweden's biggest sporting achievements that it would have been pretty readily available (perfect father's day gift). It's a lot of fun to watch. Many games from the olden games don't really hold up - this one really does. Sweden's team really was very good at the time, and Brazil of course was great.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Jun 2018, 15:21

The Modernist wrote:Fucking hell, what a terrible thread - all Australia and Ireland!

Geez, sorry for having some happy memories about my own country's games! I'll try to be more thoughtful and just post things that other people like next time. :x
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Jun 2018, 15:24

The beautiful game.

Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 07 Jun 2018, 15:26

As I'm younger than many regular posters the 1990 World Cup is the first one I remember at all, and even then I don't recall actually seeing any of it; I just remember my school headmaster handing all the students little fold-out guides. I know I filled in the results as the little guide stayed in a drawer or box at home for years afterwards.

I remember USA 94 pretty well, and how entertaining it was seeing unfancied Bulgaria dispatch the hated Germans in the quarter-finals. I'd never heard of any of the players although Stoichkov quickly became a star, but looking at them in my Panini album they were a rum bunch. Trifon Ivanov!

The clearest memory is of Yordan Letchkov - portrayed in the UK media as some random baldie, but actually one found out later an experienced and successful Bundesliga and Ligue 1 midfielder - scoring that diving header winner.

I also remember Romania doing well at that tournament, and their entire squad seemingly being bought up by lower-table Premiership outfits, almost all of them completely flopping in England.

And of course apart from the obvious Bobby Baggio, you had Romario and Bebeto (and the baby thing which basically kickstarted the craze for choreographed celebrations), Maradona coked up to the eyeballs against Greece, and that Saudi guy scoring a preposterous goal against Belgium.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Jun 2018, 15:28

Milla in 1990, classic...

Jonny Spencer wrote:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Jun 2018, 19:18

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

`

Postby ` » 07 Jun 2018, 19:28

West Germany vs Italy in the semi-final of Mexico 70. Frequently touted as the greatest game ever - and with very good reason.

90 minutes of pretty absorbing football followed by the greatest 30 minutes of edge-of-your-seat end-to-end action it's ever been my privilege to see.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jun 2018, 22:33

fange wrote:

Geez, sorry for having some happy memories about my own country's games! I'll try to be more thoughtful and just post things that other people like next time. :x

Apology accepted.

;)

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 Jun 2018, 00:38

:D
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Jun 2018, 10:55

The Modernist wrote:
fange wrote:

Apology accepted.

;)

I'll throw in some more Sweden stories to make things more interesting.
Anyone remember Ralf Edstrom's dream volley against Germany in 74? Ooof.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

`

Postby ` » 08 Jun 2018, 11:44

Geezee wrote:

No, but then I'm not a member of the Edstrom family...

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 08 Jun 2018, 23:19

I was born in 1965, so I have no memory of England's only World Cup win. But my parents told me we were on holiday at the time in a hotel where the only access to a televison set was in a children's play area, so basically all the kids were thrown out of that place (unless they were with their parents), so the adults could watch a highly controversial Jeff Hurst goal seal the win.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Jun 2018, 23:21

Geezee wrote:Anyone remember Ralf Edstrom's dream volley against Germany in 74? Ooof.

No, but I remember Tim Cahill's volley in 2014 :D
king of the divan

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 09 Jun 2018, 00:16

the masked man wrote:I was born in 1965, so I have no memory of England's only World Cup win. But my parents told me we were on holiday at the time in a hotel where the only access to a televison set was in a children's play area, so basically all the kids were thrown out of that place (unless they were with their parents), so the adults could watch a highly controversial Jeff Hurst goal seal the win.

I was 7 when England won, watched the game at my best friend's house - we didn't have our own telly. Andy, my friend took his England rosette into school on Monday and we ended up taking it to show other classes in the juniors. We had to explain to one of the teacher's, who was also Akela of our cub pack, why the rosette was in white and a very dark blue. At the time we just thought she didn't know, I now think she was just testing us/giving us a chance to explain.

I remember during Euro '96 speaking to a younger female colleague about mascots - I think she quite liked the Lion mascot (not my view of mascots at all, they irk me somewhat) - and saying that its only saving grace was that it wasn't World Cup Willie. I wasn't able to convince her that in '66 the England mascot was named World Cup Willie.

I still know all the words. Andy had the single.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Jun 2018, 01:40

mentalist (slight return) wrote:
Geezee wrote:Anyone remember Ralf Edstrom's dream volley against Germany in 74? Ooof.

No, but I remember Tim Cahill's volley in 2014 :D

Me too! :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Jun 2018, 11:08

David Platt's one moment of quality:

Zidane's last hurrah. Forget the headbutt, remember his masterclass against Brazil in 2006.

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 15 Jun 2018, 21:07

I don’t think I’ll be forgetting that Nacho strike anytime soon. Breathtaking.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jun 2018, 13:14

Geezee wrote:I don’t think I’ll be forgetting that Nacho strike anytime soon. Breathtaking.

The commentator shouting Nacho over and over again just made me hungry :(
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 16 Jun 2018, 13:41

Geezee wrote:

For sure.
Edstrom played for PSV at the time so next to the Dutch team, my dad and I followed him in the match against West Germany.... Terrific strike but not as good as Arie Haan's 40-metre belter in '78 against Italy.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Sporting Life”