Drama Vs Getting The Decision Correct

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry

Which would you rather?

Human errors (Usually by the ref/lines men) which leads to debate, banter and basically a bit of drama.
63%
VAR - (forgetting about how long it takes to get to the correct decision) getting the decision right and justice being served.
38%

Total votes: 8

Rayge

Re: Drama Vs Getting The Decision Correct

Postby Rayge » 06 Mar 2018, 10:13

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:Yep I'm in agreement that it could cause more headaches than is worthwhile.

There's just too much going on in a football game to suggest that the referee will be able to get the decision right 100% of the time. It's just not possible and aiming for that sort of "clarity" I think is a chimera.

You're creating a false argument. I haven't heard anyone say it will make the referee get the decison right 100%. It may mean we can go up from 90% correct decisons to 95% though and that will be an improvement.

It would, but I've recently seen a figure quoted that suggests post-match analyses show that refs in the Prem get a decision obviously wrong less than 2% of the time at the moment, and the vast majority of those have no material effect on the result (wrong team getting throw in, that sort of thing).
Sorry to be a bit Jimbo about it but I can't actually remember where I saw it, but I'm 98.37% sure I didn't imagine it.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Mar 2018, 10:19

That's my point - the number of times a referee's incorrect decision has changed the result for a time is very small. This reaching for a 95% over a 90% result with VAR tech could create more problems than is worthwhile.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Mar 2018, 13:37

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 14:00

Toby wrote:That's my point - the number of times a referee's incorrect decision has changed the result for a time is very small. This reaching for a 95% over a 90% result with VAR tech could create more problems than is worthwhile.

Do you not think that even a ref's decision that might look insignificant at first could change a game. I mean, if a ref doesn't give a free in the first minute of a game. Most people, myself included, wouldn't blink twice really unless it was a red card or a dirty tackle. The thing is, if that free was given and the ball put in to the box, that's a possible scoring opportunity. I'm not saying VAR should be used for every decision, i'm more arguing that more than just one ref's decision can affect game. No matter what time of the game, or how innocent it might look.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Mar 2018, 14:40

Rayge wrote:
It would, but I've recently seen a figure quoted that suggests post-match analyses show that refs in the Prem get a decision obviously wrong less than 2% of the time at the moment, and the vast majority of those have no material effect on the result (wrong team getting throw in, that sort of thing).
Sorry to be a bit Jimbo about it but I can't actually remember where I saw it, but I'm 98.37% sure I didn't imagine it.

Well it's difficult for me to argue against statistics. I tried looking for the study you referred too. I did find this, which might be the one..

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10808860/referee-myth-busting-how-many-decisions-do-officials-get-right

Call me sceptical but I'm rather less inclined to put weight on a study commissioned by the referees' body. I'd rather see an independent study that didn't have such a clear vested interest in the conclusion. Come that may, even accepting it at face value it still says referees make five mistakes a game. Clearly at least one of those mistakes could be game changing. I do understand you can't eliminate human error altogether, but you certainly have a better chance of making a correct call with VAR. Ultimately wrong decisions can have a major effect on the outcome of games, I fundamentally disagree with Toby about that ( in fact I'd say most big games have been marked by a game changing wrong decision) and if you can improve that then I'd like to see us try.
I think the points DD makes about the difficulty of implementing effectively within the game are better arguments against it, but I'm holding off making a final judgement on that until it has been trialled long enough to have an effective sample base to draw conclusions from.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Mar 2018, 16:03

Instant Replay is great for close plays and the NBA does it pretty quickly. I like that baseball only gives teams a couple disputes, which are used mainly for baserunning plays. I like the human element of having umpires and changing strike zones between officials, but I'm sure the players hate it.

Basketball goes pretty quickly and it's usually used for last second shots or three-pointers.

Football takes too long - the time between plays is already bad enough. And worse, the NFL is always redefining stuff. They just now decided what is and isn't a catch.

I think most players want officials to get stuff correct, but just as important, is that officials are consistent.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Sporting Life”