Winter Olympics

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23552
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Winter Olympics

Postby Toby » 09 Feb 2018, 10:40

Much better than the Summer one. Ludicrous events, alpine festival and a great atmosphere. I went for 3 days to Nagano in 1998 and saw Ice Hockey, Bobsled, Ski Jumping and the Luge. It's brilliant. Try to get to one if you ever get the chance.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35052
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby PENK » 09 Feb 2018, 11:48

I quite enjoy watching skiing. I had a couple of students who were high-level skiers and we went to see them compete once when they had a tournament at the Stockholm slope. It's pretty dramatic with the snow and the mountains and all that, much more fun than normal athletics with a bunch of people running for 10 seconds and bulging out their eyes and Adam's apples. One of them went off to Italy for a week and won a junior World Cup thing so I expect to see her name at a Winter OS some time soon.

I like the bobsled as well.

Some of the other things are a bit niche though. Do they still do that skiing/shooting hybrid thing?
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 13:21

I like the ski jump. especially when they crash.
Not bothered about the rest.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 13:35

Actually on reflection I probably enjoy it a bit more than that suggests, but the (mild) appeal for me is chiefly aesthetic - the mountains, the alpine trees, the way the competitors are silhouetted against the ice and snow.

On a purely sporting level I find it much less satisfying. The main reason for this is so many events are about timing a single competitor against the clock, and that's just fundamentally less exciting than seeing athletes actually competing against each other in the same time and space. I mean a good 100 metres sprint can be very exciting to watch, but can you imagine how less exciting it would be if they just ran singly and were timed instead?

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32785
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Feb 2018, 13:48

It’s shit. I might watch the hockey
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23552
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Toby » 09 Feb 2018, 13:52

The Modernist wrote:Actually on reflection I probably enjoy it a bit more than that suggests, but the (mild) appeal for me is chiefly aesthetic - the mountains, the alpine trees, the way the competitors are silhouetted against the ice and snow.

On a purely sporting level I find it much less satisfying. The main reason for this is so many events are about timing a single competitor against the clock, and that's just fundamentally less exciting than seeing athletes actually competing against each other in the same time and space. I mean a good 100 metres sprint can be very exciting to watch, but can you imagine how less exciting it would be if they just ran singly and were timed instead?


I get your point, but I think much of the appeal of the WO is the fact that the conditions are harsh.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 1760
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Jumper K » 09 Feb 2018, 14:39

Going down the side of a slippy hill on sticks/planks or tea trays is not sport. It’s organised idiocy.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67311
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Feb 2018, 18:38

I watch very little of The Olympics these days. I watch even less of the winter version.

Because it's all *bollocks*.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6793
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Feb 2018, 20:40

Snowboard Cross!
Image

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1589
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Hightea » 16 Feb 2018, 00:02

I watch a bunch of the winter Olympics - downhill skiing, snowboard, luge, bobsled and curling(yes I'm crazy). However, its all on DVR so I can speed thru all the crap I just want to see the events. Also will watch the final few hockey games.I went to the Olympics as a kid when it was in Lake Placid. However, would never go know can't stand the Americans we see on the TV acting like jerks.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12367
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Geezee » 16 Feb 2018, 10:28

The Modernist wrote:On a purely sporting level I find it much less satisfying. The main reason for this is so many events are about timing a single competitor against the clock, and that's just fundamentally less exciting than seeing athletes actually competing against each other in the same time and space. I mean a good 100 metres sprint can be very exciting to watch, but can you imagine how less exciting it would be if they just ran singly and were timed instead?


Find this a bit of a curious comment - not that I've done the analysis but I'm pretty sure there are just as many events in summer olympics where athletes compete against the clock, or height, or length, in individual competitions etc. And in the winter olympics you have plenty of skiing sprints, snowboard competitions etc which all have athletes competing against each other at the same time. Either way, I think there's also great merit to the compete-against-the-clock competitions as well - to me there are few things as awe-inspiring as watching downhill - the sheer speed and height of their jumps - or as beautiful as slalom (just the sound and elegance of them clicking around each turn can make me shiver).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10377
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Samoan » 18 Feb 2018, 19:01

The men's Giant Slalom has been magnificent.
I'm watching the replay so not sure yet who's going to take the medal places..

User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20751
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Nikki Gradual » 18 Feb 2018, 22:16

It's fucking bonkers. It's like the Winter Olympics are controlled by a stoned committee that continually comes up with more and more ridiculous and dangerous stuff. And then when they have somehow contrived to have all the snowboarders 30ft off the ground, let's throw in gusts of 55mph side winds. I have absolutely zero interest in winter sports, but it's fabulous, like non-stop Who's Been Framed for two whole weeks.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2018, 00:02

Geezee wrote:
The Modernist wrote:On a purely sporting level I find it much less satisfying. The main reason for this is so many events are about timing a single competitor against the clock, and that's just fundamentally less exciting than seeing athletes actually competing against each other in the same time and space. I mean a good 100 metres sprint can be very exciting to watch, but can you imagine how less exciting it would be if they just ran singly and were timed instead?


Find this a bit of a curious comment - not that I've done the analysis but I'm pretty sure there are just as many events in summer olympics where athletes compete against the clock, or height, or length, in individual competitions etc. .


And I don't rate those very highly as sporting spectacles either.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 1047
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby PresMuffley » 19 Feb 2018, 01:27

Enough with the figure skating already!

I do wonder how the coverage varies in different countries. Maybe you all aren't bombarded by bios of every super heroic awesome American athlete competing.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12367
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Geezee » 19 Feb 2018, 08:23

The Modernist wrote:
Geezee wrote:
The Modernist wrote:On a purely sporting level I find it much less satisfying. The main reason for this is so many events are about timing a single competitor against the clock, and that's just fundamentally less exciting than seeing athletes actually competing against each other in the same time and space. I mean a good 100 metres sprint can be very exciting to watch, but can you imagine how less exciting it would be if they just ran singly and were timed instead?


Find this a bit of a curious comment - not that I've done the analysis but I'm pretty sure there are just as many events in summer olympics where athletes compete against the clock, or height, or length, in individual competitions etc. .


And I don't rate those very highly as sporting spectacles either.


Fair enough - but your comment was that the Winter Olympics is "less satisfying" because of this - I'm not sure it's accurate that there are more of them. Personally I'd be curious to see "solo" 100m runs, in particular to see how it changes (if at all) the overall results (ie. if some are better because they are spurred on by being surrounded by the competition, or if others become better in isolation).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
borofan
Posts: 3158
Joined: 29 Jul 2003, 21:17
Location: Lost in translation

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby borofan » 19 Feb 2018, 16:25

PresMuffley wrote:Enough with the figure skating already!

I do wonder how the coverage varies in different countries. Maybe you all aren't bombarded by bios of every super heroic awesome American athlete competing.

If figure skating is a sport, so is ballroom dancing.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17037
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby clive gash » 19 Feb 2018, 21:15

Pot Kettle Middlesbrough
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12367
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Geezee » 20 Feb 2018, 12:15

borofan wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:Enough with the figure skating already!

I do wonder how the coverage varies in different countries. Maybe you all aren't bombarded by bios of every super heroic awesome American athlete competing.

If figure skating is a sport, so is ballroom dancing.


More of a sport than golf.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
borofan
Posts: 3158
Joined: 29 Jul 2003, 21:17
Location: Lost in translation

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby borofan » 20 Feb 2018, 17:47

Geezee wrote:
borofan wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:Enough with the figure skating already!

I do wonder how the coverage varies in different countries. Maybe you all aren't bombarded by bios of every super heroic awesome American athlete competing.

If figure skating is a sport, so is ballroom dancing.


More of a sport than golf.

Isn't everything?
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...