Football is a contact sport - what do you expect?

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Football is a contact sport - what do you expect?

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jan 2018, 07:28

Should have been a straight red. And Warnock is stlll a twat and always will be.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jan 2018, 09:52

Out for a month now.

You get this in England, apparently.
Cocaine

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 29 Jan 2018, 10:55

Warnock's just a knob.
Fishstick selling fuck

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jan 2018, 12:16

Agree with the comments. You can't hide behind some macho, and fairly outdated, perception of British football. A terrible challenge is a terrible challenge, in any country.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jan 2018, 21:58

It's probably only because Sane was moving as quickly as he was that the contact wasn't more damaging.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Jan 2018, 22:50

Owie, I got kicked in the shin and it really hurt.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Jan 2018, 23:29

Sloop there's flopping like a bitch in all the sports you just posted.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jan 2018, 23:32

:roll:

We can find plenty of videos of people punching each other on a football pitch, if that's what turns you on.

As for American football players, I saw people wearing less protective clothing going into Chernobyl! What are they - sportsmen or beekeepers? :lol:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 30 Jan 2018, 08:59

sloopjohnc wrote:Owie, I got kicked in the shin and it really hurt.

It did really hurt. His ligaments are fucked and the club don't know how long he will be out injured.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 30 Jan 2018, 09:07

The Modernist wrote:As for American football players, I saw people wearing less protective clothing going into Chernobyl! What are they - sportsmen or beekeepers? :lol:

To be fair, G, I think American football has statistically the highest proportion of serious injuries of any sport, hence the need for all the protection.

But sloop, watching the videos you posted: how many of those "hits" would be called fouls? In rugby, an ostensibly similar sport, there's no way guys could get away with just cleaning out opponents: there are strict rules governing tackling (nothing above shoulder height for example) and no off-the-ball whacks etc. Surely they're not so stupidly macho as to let all that stuff slide?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 30 Jan 2018, 09:19

Let's have a go at your ankle Sloop, hear you go ouchy.
Fishstick selling fuck

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jan 2018, 09:48

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:As for American football players, I saw people wearing less protective clothing going into Chernobyl! What are they - sportsmen or beekeepers? :lol:

To be fair, G, I think American football has statistically the highest proportion of serious injuries of any sport, hence the need for all the protection.

Big :lol: to G - that was vey amusing!

The protection in American Football is oft quoted, and as misunderstood as most of the game is, by those that deride the helmets/pads etc. I'm not sure if any of the rugby fans have noticed but, slowly but surely, they are moving to similar padding and increasing use of helmets..... not as robust as the American Football variety yet, but you're getting there. Will NFL fans be okay to throw the macho insults your way then? I thought not.

In the end, the two sports are fundamentally different for one very simple obvious reason - in rugby, you can't tackle someone unless they have the ball. In American Football, it's a pre-requisite of the game that players are constantly in contact (and tackling/being tackled) with their opposition throughout the entire game. The amount of contact in a single NFL match of 60 (real) minutes is - I would hazard a guess- comparable to four or five Rugby League games. Maybe more. So an NFL regular season of 16 games (yes, that's all they play!) is comparable to a rugby league player playing 64/80 games per season. In four months. How many injuries do you think we'd have in rugby then?

It's also worth pointing out that the sheer size and speed of the NFL is something that rugby still isn't anywhere close to. Most of the NFL sides will have six or seven offensive lineman of 300+ pounds - and five or six defensive linemen of a similar size. They will all have near 10 second flat sprinters - some more than one. They will have numerous 10.3/10.4 100m sprinters. I actually saw a Raiders side that had four Olympic Sprint Medallists as their four wide receivers. So it's clear and obvious that with that speed, that size and that level of contact, damn straight they are well protected. And they still get more career ending injuris per season that rugby and football combined, I'll hazard a guess.

Know your sports!
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”