Rate these Premier League forwards

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Rate these Premier League forwards

Postby Penk! » 27 Jan 2018, 22:52

England had some pretty good forwards in the mid-90s. Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Ferdinand, Wright, Fowler, Owen emerging.

Compare that to 10-15 years later when James Beattie, Carlton Cole, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Bobby Zamora, Darius Vassell and Michael Ricketts (Michael Ricketts!) were competing for places. You can understand why Wayne Rooney's place was safe for so long.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jan 2018, 23:30

PENK wrote:England had some pretty good forwards in the mid-90s. Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Ferdinand, Wright, Fowler, Owen emerging.

Compare that to 10-15 years later when James Beattie, Carlton Cole, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Bobby Zamora, Darius Vassell and Michael Ricketts (Michael Ricketts!) were competing for places. You can understand why Wayne Rooney's place was safe for so long.

More than "pretty good" I'd say.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jan 2018, 23:34

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I would still take a peak Torres above Kane, primarily because of his pace, but I agree it's close.

Torres at his peak was unplayable but that was about two years. It was disastrously downhill from there.

It was. But I was also thinking of how good he was at Athletico (first time round)' admittedly that may be out of the frame of the question. 65 goals in 102 games for Liverpool though - that's damn impressive on its own.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jan 2018, 12:44

PENK wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Dennis Bergkamp
Thierry Henry

Really? A man who was rotated with Kanu and Wiltord over the greatest player in Britain this century?

Bergkamp had sublime ability and vision but there’s a tendency to overrate him in retrospect because of his highlights reel, I think. He was certainly key to Wenger’s reinvention of the Arse, but was only an automatic pick for three or four years.

But for those years he was the difference. Ask any of that team - they all say it. Ask Wenger - he says it.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Jan 2018, 13:12

Bergkamp was the key I agree. Without doubt the most elegant forward in the Premier League's history. But I think Vieira was their Cantona in terms of one players transformative effect on a club.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 01 Feb 2018, 19:11

The Modernist wrote:
Tapiocahead wrote:Henry is the best player of the Premier League era but the rest were all fantastic, although I wouldn't include Di Canio in that list

He was better than Hasselbaink.
I overlooked Hasselbaink, I'd probably agree.
Fishstick selling fuck

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Feb 2018, 14:41

Tapiocahead wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Tapiocahead wrote:Henry is the best player of the Premier League era but the rest were all fantastic, although I wouldn't include Di Canio in that list

I might be misremembering but I think of him more as a midfielder/winger though.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Feb 2018, 14:41

Toby wrote:Without doubt the most elegant forward in the Premier League's history.

After Cantona.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 07 Feb 2018, 15:21

Geezee wrote:
Toby wrote:Without doubt the most elegant forward in the Premier League's history.

After Cantona.

Nah, Bergkamp was better than him. Cantona was a great player, but he was lucky enough to grace the Premier League when Manchester United were clearly the best side in it by a mile (around 94 when they started to dominate).

I personally feel Bergkamp shone for longer and against better opposition.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Feb 2018, 15:33

Geezee wrote:
Tapiocahead wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

I might be misremembering but I think of him more as a midfielder/winger though.

You are misremembering. Hasselbaink was very much played as an out and out centre-forward.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Feb 2018, 15:39

Toby wrote:
Geezee wrote:

After Cantona.

Nah, Bergkamp was better than him. Cantona was a great player, but he was lucky enough to grace the Premier League when Manchester United were clearly the best side in it by a mile (around 94 when they started to dominate).

I personally feel Bergkamp shone for longer and against better opposition.

Man Utd before and after Cantona is like night and day. I went to almost every Man Utd game during this period - his impact was incredible. Man Utd were not the best side by a mile - keep in mind that they gutted the core of the team in the middle of Cantona's time there, with no noticeable impact on the actual team - quite the opposite, Cantona played a critical role in coaching through that young team.

Arsenal before and after Bergkamp is also like night and day - but only because Viera and Henry also arrived.

Very similar players and very similar impacts in my mind, but Cantona edges it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Feb 2018, 15:39

The Modernist wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Tapiocahead wrote: I overlooked Hasselbaink, I'd probably agree.

You are misremembering. Hasselbaink was very much played as an out and out centre-forward.

I was referring to Di Canio
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Feb 2018, 15:45

Aah sorry. I wouldn't describe Di Canio as either of those things, but he did drop deep sometimes to make the play. He was very similar to Cantona actually in his game. Both would drift quite a lot. I'd certainly call him a forward though.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Feb 2018, 15:51

I should add I was thinking of his West Ham days with that description above of his playing style, his earlier playing days in Italy might be a different thing.

I was just reading his wiki entry and I realised he was already 31 when he joined West Ham. I didn't think he was as old as that.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Feb 2018, 16:12

No Fowler? RUBBISH LIST!
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Sporting Life”