Goodbye Jimmy

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
jimboo

Goodbye Jimmy

Postby jimboo » 22 Jan 2018, 22:23

RIP mr Armfield , is a sad day when the voice you listened to through so many games is silenced. A true gent and a marvellous commentator.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Goodbye Jimmy

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jan 2018, 10:14

Yes indeed. When I hear the hysteria of some commentators these days it drives the point home.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jan 2018, 12:08

Not particularly aware of him as a commentator, because of my aversion to radio, but remember seeing him as a player both for Blackpool and for England. I'm not going to pretend that I understood football as a teenager, but my abiding memory of him is as an unfussy, calm man, who always seemed to have time on the ball.
RIP Jimmy A
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Jan 2018, 19:04

Very sad. RIP Jimmy
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 25 Jan 2018, 19:52

Can't recall him as a player, as others have said an excellent commentator, calm, assured, good timbre. Came over as a decent man.

RIP

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jan 2018, 19:59

And a very decent manager too... I'd forgotten he took Leeds (*spit*) to the European Cup Final in 75...

From Wiki :

Not long after the end of his playing career, Armfield became manager of Bolton Wanderers in 1971, leading them to promotion to the Second Division in the 1972–73 season as Third Division champions.[12]

On 4 October 1974, Armfield took the helm at Leeds United, replacing Brian Clough as manager, leading them to the European Cup Final in the 1974–75 season in which they lost 2–0 to Bayern Munich.[13] Assisted by Don Howe, Armfield was responsible for rebuilding Don Revie's aging but still formidable side, a task which he achieved with some success. Armfield bought in players such as Tony Currie and Brian Flynn, and under his stewardship Leeds never finished outside of the top ten, qualified for the UEFA Cup,[14] and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1976–77 and the League Cup in 1977–78
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”