Tommy Lawrence RIP

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Spock!

Tommy Lawrence RIP

Postby Spock! » 10 Jan 2018, 21:11

Tommy Lawrence, legendary Liverpool 'keeper passed away today. Affectionately known to Kopites as the Flying Pig, he was Shankly's keeper from '62 to '71. Joe Mercer described him as the first British sweeper keeper, a skill he passed on to Ray Clemence. He'll always be remembered as the keeper who helped Liverpool to their first FA cup and his unassuming manner.

YNWA Tommy.

Dr Markus

Re: Tommy Lawrence RIP

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Jan 2018, 21:17

His accidental interview with that BBC reporter is still funny.

R.I.P
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 10 Jan 2018, 21:35

The Great Defector wrote:His accidental interview with that BBC reporter is still funny.

R.I.P

Indeed. Lovely shine to his eyes!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Jan 2018, 21:38

Always worry bout players his age if they're doing alright or alone on the pension. Seems a bit sad considering the joy they brought. Think he did alright though.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 10 Jan 2018, 21:48

The Great Defector wrote:Always worry bout players his age if they're doing alright or alone on the pension. Seems a bit sad considering the joy they brought. Think he did alright though.

Hope so, but after leaving professional football went back to work at a wire factory - quality controller - no less. He'd worked there after leaving school. Would never have been on a high wage as a player. He always came across as very grounded (not that I've heard that much), as many players of his generation do.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Jan 2018, 21:53

Good to hear, you hear of I think its Kennedy, that had to sell his medels and that. Fucking sad for players of that generation having to do that. Today, even if you're an average or slightly below average player, be smart with your money and you never have to work again. Even if 60's,70's players were smart with their money they still had to get proper jobs after they finished.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 10 Jan 2018, 22:02

The Great Defector wrote: Today, even if you're an average or slightly below average player, be smart with your money and you never have to work again.

It's the being smart bit that so many footballers struggle with, that and having agents who just might not have their clients best interests at heart, divorces & naïve business sense. John Barnes, John Arne Riise & David James have all declared bankruptcy, though Barnes & Riise's were later annulled.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Jan 2018, 00:02

I think you'll find many people from my generation remember him less for his abilities (which were considerable, I used to play in goal and noticed this sort of thing) but for his shorts. Damn, they were short. And tight. Couldn't have been good for his reproductive health.
RIP Tommy
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 11 Jan 2018, 21:03

Rayge wrote:I think you'll find many people from my generation remember him less for his abilities (which were considerable, I used to play in goal and noticed this sort of thing) but for his shorts. Damn, they were short. And tight. Couldn't have been good for his reproductive health.
RIP Tommy

:lol:

Doesn't get mentioned on the Liverpool boards I read!

Return to “Sporting Life”