Whistle before free kick

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Darkness_Fish

Re: Whistle before free kick

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jan 2018, 20:44

Yeah, I'm with you all the way on that one. The team who have been awarded the free kick should be able to take it whenever they wish. The only issue is then how does the referee maintain the 10 yard distance between ball and wall?

The other thing that annoys me is the referee talking to players before a corner is taken. I know that is actually stated in the laws of the game, but if there's something untoward happening in the penalty area, award a penalty or a free kick, don't go and tell them that if it continues you'll blow the whistle.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jan 2018, 21:00

Darkness_Fish wrote:Yeah, I'm with you all the way on that one. The team who have been awarded the free kick should be able to take it whenever they wish.

What? That's ridiculous. What if they want to wait twenty minutes before taking it?

I think the laws need clarification on this because some referees insist on playing to the whistle and others don't. I disagree a bit with K's comments because a free kick does constitute a stop in play.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jan 2018, 21:09

Well, it'd give you time to nip to the bar for a pint, it could catch on.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Jan 2018, 11:06

Darkness_Fish wrote:The other thing that annoys me is the referee talking to players before a corner is taken. I know that is actually stated in the laws of the game, but if there's something untoward happening in the penalty area, award a penalty or a free kick, don't go and tell them that if it continues you'll blow the whistle.

Well, in theory, before the corner is taken, the ball is out of play, so a penalty or free kick is (I believe - it's been a very long while since I read the Laws) not on the menu, although the referee can warn, book or send off someone for ungentlemanly conduct. As soon as the corner is taken, then free-kicks/penalties can be awarded.
Also, a quick free kick can be taken if it gets the nod from the referee, he doesn't have to blow his whistle - I've seen this done a few times at Spurs over the decades. I think the idea is not for the defence to get ready, but the ref to be ready, which is why some quick free kicks are called back.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jan 2018, 21:20

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
I was quite pleased to see the Swansea player get sent off for that yesterday.

If he'd just tripped the player he would've only got a yellow. The reason he got sent off was he kicked the player. That's the point all the pundits, who said it should have been a yellow, were missing. They were focusing on why he did it, rather than the action itself.

Return to “Sporting Life”