Whistle before free kick

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8514
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Whistle before free kick

Postby Pansy Puff » 07 Jan 2018, 15:48

Is there any more ridiculous concept than the idea that the defending team have to be "ready" for a free kick. The only signal a referee should give should be if the attacking team is taking too long (ie time wasting). I can't believe in this day and age we still allow a team to commit a foul with, say, two players behind the ball, and then allow them to regroup and get everyone behind the ball and if the fouling team are not ready, the attacking team have to wait until signalled to continue their attack.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5738
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Whistle before free kick

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jan 2018, 20:44

Yeah, I'm with you all the way on that one. The team who have been awarded the free kick should be able to take it whenever they wish. The only issue is then how does the referee maintain the 10 yard distance between ball and wall?

The other thing that annoys me is the referee talking to players before a corner is taken. I know that is actually stated in the laws of the game, but if there's something untoward happening in the penalty area, award a penalty or a free kick, don't go and tell them that if it continues you'll blow the whistle.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11777
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Whistle before free kick

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jan 2018, 21:00

Darkness_Fish wrote:Yeah, I'm with you all the way on that one. The team who have been awarded the free kick should be able to take it whenever they wish.


What? That's ridiculous. What if they want to wait twenty minutes before taking it?

I think the laws need clarification on this because some referees insist on playing to the whistle and others don't. I disagree a bit with K's comments because a free kick does constitute a stop in play.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5738
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Whistle before free kick

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jan 2018, 21:09

Well, it'd give you time to nip to the bar for a pint, it could catch on.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8514
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Whistle before free kick

Postby Pansy Puff » 07 Jan 2018, 21:15

The Modernist wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Yeah, I'm with you all the way on that one. The team who have been awarded the free kick should be able to take it whenever they wish.


What? That's ridiculous. What if they want to wait twenty minutes before taking it?

I think the laws need clarification on this because some referees insist on playing to the whistle and others don't. I disagree a bit with K's comments because a free kick does constitute a stop in play.


Well I said
The only signal a referee should give should be if the attacking team is taking too long (ie time wasting).


I agree a free kick constitutes a stop in play, I just think teams should always have the option of a quick free kick without having to tell the referee.
And I also think something needs to be done about the cynical trip that allows a team to get all their players back behind the ball.

I was quite pleased to see the Swansea player get sent off for that yesterday.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13036
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Whistle before free kick

Postby Rayge » 08 Jan 2018, 11:06

Darkness_Fish wrote:The other thing that annoys me is the referee talking to players before a corner is taken. I know that is actually stated in the laws of the game, but if there's something untoward happening in the penalty area, award a penalty or a free kick, don't go and tell them that if it continues you'll blow the whistle.

Well, in theory, before the corner is taken, the ball is out of play, so a penalty or free kick is (I believe - it's been a very long while since I read the Laws) not on the menu, although the referee can warn, book or send off someone for ungentlemanly conduct. As soon as the corner is taken, then free-kicks/penalties can be awarded.
Also, a quick free kick can be taken if it gets the nod from the referee, he doesn't have to blow his whistle - I've seen this done a few times at Spurs over the decades. I think the idea is not for the defence to get ready, but the ref to be ready, which is why some quick free kicks are called back.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11777
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Whistle before free kick

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jan 2018, 21:20

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
I was quite pleased to see the Swansea player get sent off for that yesterday.


If he'd just tripped the player he would've only got a yellow. The reason he got sent off was he kicked the player. That's the point all the pundits, who said it should have been a yellow, were missing. They were focusing on why he did it, rather than the action itself.