World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby clive gash » 14 Jun 2018, 21:32

I enjoyed whoever was translating Putin’s opening remarks.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Jun 2018, 22:11

Toby wrote:Oh come on Saudi Arabia were a fucking joke. That was the feeblest excuse for a rigged match I've seen in years.

Uruguay will smash Russia.

You're right Toby - if ever a team was 'not trying' it was Saudi Arabia today.

It's a bizarre tournament that the opening match is the 70th ranked team beating the 67th. In a 32 team tournament.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 15 Jun 2018, 01:36

SA gave about as much resistance as a group of witches hats, but credit where it's due, some of those finishes by the Russians were superb.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Jun 2018, 08:27

Saudi Arabias performance was the worst I’ve seenat a major tournament for some time.

They shouldn’t have been there. It’s one of these things that highlights just how weak some of these qualifying groups and regions are.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 15 Jun 2018, 09:38

Imagine what it's gonna be like when the number of countries increases then!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Jun 2018, 10:15

Goat Boy wrote:Saudi Arabias performance was the worst I’ve seen at a major tournament for some time.

Would that "some time" probably be around the time England were getting dicked by Iceland?

Yeah, Saudia Arabia were crap, and some of the other teams will be crap, too. But can we not just embrace the fact that there's football on telly every single day, and that the success of the teams doesn't necessarily depend on who has the most corrupt owners with the vastest reserves of cash. I'm all for expanding the world cup, it does no harm to give some of the lesser countries a chance on the big stage. And more football on telly. Bring it on.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 15 Jun 2018, 10:58

The number of teams competing decreases the quality - everyone knows that. And with knockout matches and so much at stake, there's too much to lose to play overtly attacking football.

The last great tournament was the 2000 European Championships. Beyond 16 teams it descends into De Bordian spectacle and not much more. It's enjoyable to watch, but the reality is that a globalised world means that there is none of the secrecy and mystery of the 60s and 70s when good teams could get humbled, and that there was a distinctive aspect about the players. European and South American sides were often miles apart in style, not always for the better, but there was an exotic feel to it. Now, apart from the odd team like Panama composed of jobbing MLS lads or maybe Iran, there is little of that.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Jun 2018, 10:59

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Saudi Arabias performance was the worst I’ve seen at a major tournament for some time.

Would that "some time" probably be around the time England were getting dicked by Iceland?

Or Brazil getting hammered by Germany

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 15 Jun 2018, 12:15

What about the psychic animals then? I’ve seen a cat and a “sausage dog” so far. Sometimes I wonder how reliable they are, though.

Portugal-Spain should be an interesting game. I partly want Portugal to do well and partly want them to crash and burn in the ugliest way possible, as the national media obsession with football here is reaching sickening new heights. What would have to happen in the world for football not to be top news item, I wonder. “In other news, intercontinental thermonuclear holocaust breaks out between China, Russia, USA. Several major cities totally vaporized. Ronaldo unharmed.” Urgh.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Jun 2018, 12:22

Darkness_Fish wrote:

That was a very poor performance but let's not do what English football fans usually do and start claiming they got "dicked" when they had 68% of possession and more than twice as many shots as their opponents, and lost by a single goal.

Saudi Arabia got genuinely thrashed and looked hopelessly out of their depth to boot. The defending was amateurish. The last time a side was that bad at a major tournament was Ireland against Spain in Euro 2012, or possibly even the Saudis themselves when Germany beat them 8-0 in 2002. Even Carsten Jancker scored in that one.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Jun 2018, 13:03

echolalia wrote:
Portugal-Spain should be an interesting game. I partly want Portugal to do well and partly want them to crash and burn in the ugliest way possible, as the national media obsession with football here is reaching sickening new heights. What would have to happen in the world for football not to be top news item, I wonder. “In other news, intercontinental thermonuclear holocaust breaks out between China, Russia, USA. Several major cities totally vaporized. Ronaldo unharmed.” Urgh.

:lol: :lol:

I never realised Portugal was so football obsessed. I’d love to watch this match but it’s on on at 2am in the morning :(

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 15 Jun 2018, 13:47

Luis Suarez has been awful so far.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Jun 2018, 14:01

Toby wrote:Beyond 16 teams it descends into De Bordian spectacle and not much more.

That's exactly what Glenn Hoddle said yesterday. Passive identification with the spectacle supplants genuine activity, Clive. The remains of religion and of the family (the principal relic of the heritage of class power) and the moral repression they assure, merge whenever the enjoyment of this world cup is affirmed, this world cup being nothing other than repressive pseudo-enjoyment. He does have that in his locker.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 15 Jun 2018, 14:08

Toby wrote:Luis Suarez has been awful so far.

Salah has been invisible, it is literally like he isn't even on the pitch
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Jun 2018, 14:34

Toby wrote:Luis Suarez has been awful so far.

He really has.
If he had actually shot then, instead of waiting to be fouled, Uraguay would be 1-0 up.Serves him right.
Bless the weather.......Image

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Jun 2018, 14:56

Toby wrote:The number of teams competing decreases the quality - everyone knows that. And with knockout matches and so much at stake, there's too much to lose to play overtly attacking football.

The last great tournament was the 2000 European Championships. Beyond 16 teams it descends into De Bordian spectacle and not much more. It's enjoyable to watch, but the reality is that a globalised world means that there is none of the secrecy and mystery of the 60s and 70s when good teams could get humbled, and that there was a distinctive aspect about the players. European and South American sides were often miles apart in style, not always for the better, but there was an exotic feel to it. Now, apart from the odd team like Panama composed of jobbing MLS lads or maybe Iran, there is little of that.

Euro 2000 was fucking good.

Didn't all of Brazil's side in 82 still play in Brazil?

Of course these days a lot of the south americans sides players are in Europe and certainly Argentina and Brazils mostly are.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 15 Jun 2018, 16:23

At least Morocco and Iran are having a go at each other. Although I'm sure the football on offer is equal to Burton Albion Vs Rotherham in terms of quality

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Jun 2018, 17:25

Toby wrote:At least Morocco and Iran are having a go at each other. Although I'm sure the football on offer is equal to Burton Albion Vs Rotherham in terms of quality

With Spain and Ronaldo in the group, they have to.
This match is a bit "winner stays on".

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Jun 2018, 18:55

andymacandy wrote:
Toby wrote:At least Morocco and Iran are having a go at each other. Although I'm sure the football on offer is equal to Burton Albion Vs Rotherham in terms of quality

And Spain to beat Portugal.
They have huge experience, and I think losing the manager will galvanise the players.
They know they have to be on their game to beat the Euro champs too.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Jun 2018, 19:07

andymacandy wrote:
andymacandy wrote:

And Spain to beat Portugal.
They have huge experience, and I think losing the manager will galvanise the players.
They know they have to be on their game to beat the Euro champs too.

All going to plan so far!

Return to “Sporting Life”