World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66679
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jul 2018, 05:49

The Modernist wrote:It's a generational thing in the US I think. Football seems to be getting very popular among the under 40s.


It's the fastest growing (or growingest, I dare say) collegiate sport.
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42955
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby LeBaron » 17 Jul 2018, 12:25

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:It's a generational thing in the US I think. Football seems to be getting very popular among the under 40s.


Of course they’d have been all over this thread had their team qualified!


I’ve watched a vast majority of the games and read most of this thread, but I don’t have anything insightful or particularly original to say so ...
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13184
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Rayge » 17 Jul 2018, 12:52

LeBaron wrote:I don’t have anything insightful or particularly original to say so ...


That hasn't stopped the rest of us...
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42955
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby LeBaron » 17 Jul 2018, 12:53

Rayge wrote:
LeBaron wrote:I don’t have anything insightful or particularly original to say so ...


That hasn't stopped the rest of us...


Just setting them up for the first taker ...
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13184
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Rayge » 17 Jul 2018, 13:28

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62999
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Jul 2018, 19:13

The Modernist wrote:It's a generational thing in the US I think. Football seems to be getting very popular among the under 40s.


It is. A large part of that is the popularity of the EA FIFA game.

Yesterday, I heard stats about US World Cup TV ratings. First in ratings was Washington DC, which makes sense because of large international population because of government.

Second was the San Francisco Bay Area. Again, large multi-cultural population.

Finals ratings were down 10% from 2014, and down 44% overall.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12268
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby The Modernist » 17 Jul 2018, 20:58

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Modernist wrote:It's a generational thing in the US I think. Football seems to be getting very popular among the under 40s.


It is. A large part of that is the popularity of the EA FIFA game.

Yesterday, I heard stats about US World Cup TV ratings. First in ratings was Washington DC, which makes sense because of large international population because of government.

Second was the San Francisco Bay Area. Again, large multi-cultural population.

Finals ratings were down 10% from 2014, and down 44% overall.


The 2014 final featured a European country against a South American one so maybe had a wider appeal than an all European one.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66679
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jul 2018, 21:00

The Modernist wrote:The 2014 final featured a European country against a South American one so maybe had a wider appeal than an all European one.



That implies the average American knows the difference between the two or, probably more relevantly, the existence of either.
1-800-288-8372

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62999
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Jul 2018, 21:30

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote:The 2014 final featured a European country against a South American one so maybe had a wider appeal than an all European one.



That implies the average American knows the difference between the two or, probably more relevantly, the existence of either.


:lol:

Not to support your point, but. . .