World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Dec 2017, 18:18

That's how I saw it - I think Spain & Portugal being in the same group makes it the highest quality.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Dec 2017, 19:20

Toby wrote:A group of death would be where at least 3 sides feel they have a good chance of qualifying and doing well in the tournament.

I don't think Mexico, Sweden or South Korea are strong teams. Colombia, Senegal and Poland are all better than them.

Perhaps in Russia they could call it "the group of meth".

Well Poland are one of the seeds, so you haven't done a fair comparison, you should also have mentioned Germany. And Senegal? In Russia? I doubt very much they'll do anything.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Dec 2017, 19:22

Actually the strongest could be D if Nigeria show up....which they probably won't.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 02 Dec 2017, 08:36

Group A is the group of death. If you're a dissident or a bit gay. AM I RIGHT?
Sweden will get humped by Germany like usual, get narrowly beaten by Mexico and huff and puff enough to earn a point against a technically superior South Korea.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Dec 2017, 09:06

After beating France, Italy and Netherlands, I'm stupidly confident that Sweden will defeat Germany (lose to Korea, draw against Mexico). Germany to be knocked out in the group stages, mark my words.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 15 Mar 2018, 13:13

3 months to kick off and who do people think should go to the WC?

On his current form there is no way Joe Hart can go to the WC. His international career is surely over.

I've picked ones so far that should be there. One goalkeeper space, 2 or 3 defenders, quite a few midfielders and wide spots, but I reckon the forward line picks itself. Question marks over players like Henderson, Cahill etc.

Butland, Pickford, ?

Stones, Smalling, Maguire, Walker, Bertrand, Young, ?, ?

Dier, Alli, Wilshire, Lallana, ? , ? , ? , ?

Sterling, Rashford, Kane, Vardy

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Mar 2018, 13:18

Yeah a lot of pros seem to think Hart is the best keeper around for England, do they see something pretty much everyone doesn't? I've never rated him from day one. His acting skills in those shampoo adverts were better than his goalkeeping skills.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Mar 2018, 16:08

Does anyone know of anyone heading over for it? Those Russian "ultras" aren't on the Russian tourist board for a reason.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 15 Mar 2018, 20:16

Toby wrote:3 months to kick off and who do people think should go to the WC?

On his current form there is no way Joe Hart can go to the WC. His international career is surely over.

I've picked ones so far that should be there. One goalkeeper space, 2 or 3 defenders, quite a few midfielders and wide spots, but I reckon the forward line picks itself. Question marks over players like Henderson, Cahill etc.

Butland, Pickford, ?

Stones, Smalling, Maguire, Walker, Bertrand, Young, ?, ?

Dier, Alli, Wilshire, Lallana, ? , ? , ? , ?

Sterling, Rashford, Kane, Vardy

Unless Lallana can regain a lot more of his pre injury form I wouldn't take him.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Mar 2018, 20:28

It's difficult to know what to make of the latest squad. Welbeck, Livermore, Henderson and Hart shouldn't be anywhere near the plane on current form (and Rose and Lallana have barely played this year, though if fit and playing again they're certainly good enough) while the likes of Tarkowski, Mawson and Cook are interesting additions. One gets the feeling unfortunately that the former group are much more likely to make it to the tournament.

Interesting to see that Cahill is absent, actually.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Mar 2018, 09:08

I've no idea why Hart is in the squad. He's clearly shit and has been for a couple of seasons, at least.
I've been very impressed by Pope and he may just emerge, from the inexperienced trio including Pickford & Butland , as the chosen keeper.

it's extremely worrying that our centre back alternatives are so worryingly inexperienced. But I'd much rather that than Jones, Cahill, Smalling etc, who have been useless all season.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Mar 2018, 11:24

This is what worries me. Southgate is going down the "but they're experienced" route. Yes, they are, but played terribly at a number of tournaments, Hart in particular. Cahill is past it and Smalling just isn't good enough. In fact, I'd rather have the Burnley CB pairing at the moment. They know how to defend.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Mar 2018, 13:09

Toby wrote: Cahill is past it and Smalling just isn't good enough. In fact, I'd rather have the Burnley CB pairing at the moment. They know how to defend.

I agree with every word, especially about Tarkowski and Mee, although Alfie Mawson deserves a shot, too.
Smalling and Jones have both gone backwards since joining United
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Mar 2018, 13:10

Diamond Dog wrote:I've no idea why Hart is in the squad. He's clearly shit and has been for a couple of seasons, at least.
I've been very impressed by Pope and he may just emerge, from the inexperienced trio including Pickford & Butland , as the chosen keeper.

I think Heaton, provided he recovers and gets a couple of games in, would be in with a good shout. Maybe Hart is in there as a placeholder, or possibly scapegoat.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Mar 2018, 22:07

Ali's form has been abysmal for months now. Not average, not poor - absolutely fucking atrocious.

I like that Southgate is sticking with the youngsters, and putting in youth in place of experience when injuries demand it.

I genuinely think many of those guys who only a year ago thought they were certainties are going to find themselves uninvited. Long may it continue.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Mar 2018, 08:46

Vardy didn't touch the ball once in the 22 minutes he was on the pitch.

I thought England looked comfortable on the ball if nothing else. Difficult to say whether any real progress is being made, but as a side they do not look overly reliable on one player other than Kane upfront. Defensively I felt they were quite assured, even if this Dutch team are clearly awful (even with Van Dijk and De Vrij in defence).

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Mar 2018, 08:47

If our wingbacks could cross the ball properly we'd be quite a dangerous team.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Mar 2018, 09:01

K wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Ali's form has been abysmal for months now. Not average, not poor - absolutely fucking atrocious.

I'm glad you said that. I was beginning to think I was the only person who thought this and just assumed I was missing something.

Well I don't know about England, because I don't watch, but for Spurs this season, 10 goals and 13 assists and some sublime linking with Eriksen, Son, Kane, Lamela, etc. Going from playing with that lot to Hendo and the Ox under Southgate, he must feel like he's back at MK Dons ;) .

But yeah, hoick him from the England team, along with Dier, Rose, Trippier and Kane, so they will all be fit and rested for the start of next season, and I'll be an even happier bunny.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2018, 10:16

I find it hard to draw too many conclusions from that England performance as the Dutch were so lacklustre and berift of any creativity.

England did show a composure, and even confidence at times, in possession, which is applaudable. However I did feel there were still too many pointless five yard sideways passes, they still need to get more penetrative with their passing and movement. And for all their domination they weren't exactly creating a bucket load of chances. Rashford is a real bright spark though and for me is one of the few automatic starters. I also like the authority MacGuire brings..don't know why he wasn't there from the start, Southgate needs to establish him as England's no 1 centre-half.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Mar 2018, 12:54

Rayge wrote:
K wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Ali's form has been abysmal for months now. Not average, not poor - absolutely fucking atrocious.

I'm glad you said that. I was beginning to think I was the only person who thought this and just assumed I was missing something.

Well I don't know about England, because I don't watch, but for Spurs this season, 10 goals and 13 assists and some sublime linking with Eriksen, Son, Kane, Lamela, etc. Going from playing with that lot to Hendo and the Ox under Southgate, he must feel like he's back at MK Dons ;) .

But yeah, hoick him from the England team, along with Dier, Rose, Trippier and Kane, so they will all be fit and rested for the start of next season, and I'll be an even happier bunny.

Have a look how many of those goals and assists have been this year. Then come back and we can talk about his current form.

I think he deserves to go to Russia but, at present, he wouldn't be a starter in my eyes.

As for the rest of your usual Spurs-driven nonsense... meh. :D
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”