World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
trans-chigley express

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby trans-chigley express » 20 Jun 2018, 14:35

never/ever wrote:Those whistles of the Moroccan crowd are as annoying as the vuvuzelas.

They are

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 20 Jun 2018, 15:00

Portugal were terrible.

That ferret-faced twit Gonçalo Guedes already cost Portugal two points in the match against Spain with his goalmouth ineptitude and he very nearly did it again today. (He’s ex-Benfica… the taint never fades.)

William was excellent as usual for Portugal.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Jun 2018, 19:49

Blimey.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Jun 2018, 20:23

Is it wrong that I’m being thoroughly entertained by Iran/ Spain?
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Jun 2018, 20:55

Brilliant. Spain made slightly heavy weather of that, but I especially enjoyed it when 17 Iranian players decided to have a lie down in the goal mouth.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 20 Jun 2018, 21:04

Worst day of the tournament so far, that.

Uruguay are winning the "dullest team" award so far, having seemingly taken their stylistic inspiration from watching England in 2010.

Portugal reverted to their Euro 2016 type by playing shit and somehow winning 1-0.

I only half-watched the Spain-Iran game but whenever I looked at the screen it seemed like Spain were passing it around in front of 10 Iranian defenders, or Iran were overhitting a cross on the counter. I couldn't hear the commentators because the parping of the crowd was so loud. Were there any actual shots?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jun 2018, 21:18

I didn't see the Portugal game and only caught the tail end of the Uruguay one. It doesn't sound like I missed much.

I would have liked more intensity from Spain tonight. I didn't like it when Isco drifted inside during the first half and Iniesta was playing in that inside forward position. That made it more difficult for them to break down Iran who often had 6 across the back. Alba gets forward but he can't go past players which is one of the flaws when teams rely on full backs to provide width and crosses. They were much better when they stepped it up in the 2nd half and Iniesa stuck to the middle of the park and Isco stayed out left. Isco can go past players with ease and that makes such a difference. He also has that burst of pace that Iniesta doesn't anymore. He's a real player.

There was a lot to admire about Iran tonight and I would have liked to have liked them more but, like Tunisia, they were very cynical and prone to play acting. What the hell was that keeper up to with Costa? Twat.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

joklend

Postby joklend » 20 Jun 2018, 22:44

Costa was getting into the keeper's face and purposefully getting between his feet during that. Spain are one of the worst offenders for cynicism and Iran have a right to take them up on their own game, given that they usually get away with it.

Agree with the rest of the above though. Spain's attack was so one-paced in the first half. Nobody could find a player making the final run. It reminded me of a few years ago when I was crying out for Jesus Navas to get on the pitch just to show a bit of intent in the final third.

That last minute rolly-polly throw in from Iran though. Absolute comedy gold.

joklend

Postby joklend » 20 Jun 2018, 22:59

Darkness_Fish wrote:
joklend wrote:

Careful now, John, you dangerous radical. Pity the world cup wasn't in Israel, that's the only anthem that really worked for me.

Did you see the Laibach North Korea documentary, btw? Very strange that ever went ahead, or it was even suggested, but it's now clear that they paved the way for fascism to be acceptable enough to allow Donald Trump to travel over.

The Liberation Day one? Yeah, I was expecting a little more from it really, it didn't elaborate on much.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Jun 2018, 07:47

Three countries out already then.

Morocco played some good stuff in their two games but had nothing whatsoever up front. Saudi Arabia were complete bobbins and we're better off without them. Given their country's international reputation I can't see many feeling sorry for them either.

Egypt wrote off the first game and decided to focus on the two games where Salah would be available. Unfortunately he was only half fit and never once tracked back into his own half, while the "give it to Salah and hope for the best" tactic became painfully obvious, meaning that Russia could just amble forward on the counter again and again and eventually tear them a new one. Like Saudi Arabia, they deserve to go out for being shite.

Argentina-Croatia tonight could be a good one.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Jun 2018, 08:08

joklend wrote:

That last minute rolly-polly throw in from Iran though. Absolute comedy gold.

Yeah, What the hell was that about? Bizarre :lol:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Jun 2018, 08:15

First match today is Denmark v Australia at a perfectly reasonable 8pm HK time. I hope the Aussies can get something from this but they’ll have to sharpen up their attacking prowess.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Jun 2018, 10:19

Felt a bit sorry for Iran - they had a real go at Spain.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jun 2018, 10:33

Toby wrote:Felt a bit sorry for Iran - they had a real go at Spain.

It's a shame that it took them to go behind to do so though.

Interesting that the two sides involved in the best match so far (Spain & Portugal) both struggled next game..... maybe they expended alot of energy first game, maybe they under-estimated their opponents, or maybe the group isn't that strong? We shall see.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 21 Jun 2018, 12:45

Diamond Dog wrote:
Toby wrote:Felt a bit sorry for Iran - they had a real go at Spain.

It's a shame that it took them to go behind to do so though.

Interesting that the two sides involved in the best match so far (Spain & Portugal) both struggled next game..... maybe they expended alot of energy first game, maybe they under-estimated their opponents, or maybe the group isn't that strong? We shall see.

Like Polish Girl, quite enjoyed Spain vs Iran.

Given that Portugal are pretty much a one-man team and ponderously slow at the back, be interesting to see how Iran vs Portugal turns out if Iran go on the attack from the get-go. Should Portugal lose and Spain at least grab a draw against already out Morocco, that'll be them gone, too.

Up til now, aside from brief flashes a la England on Mon night, don't really think anyone has really emerged as a standout team.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 21 Jun 2018, 13:55

12 out of 12 from the spot for Jedinak.
king of the divan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Jun 2018, 13:55

trans-chigley express wrote:First match today is Denmark v Australia at a perfectly reasonable 8pm HK time. I hope the Aussies can get something from this but they’ll have to sharpen up their attacking prowess.

A good response after the early goal, creating some decent chances. If they can repeat that in the 2nd half we might have a chance.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Jun 2018, 13:56

mentalist (slight return) wrote:12 out of 12 from the spot for Jedinak.

He is the proverbial Iceman.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Jun 2018, 13:57

Never, ever was a penalty though. Nothing's changing my opinion that VAR is a disgrace.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Jun 2018, 13:59

Darkness_Fish wrote:Never, ever was a penalty though. Nothing's changing my opinion that VAR is a disgrace.

Yeah, questionable. Evens out the other one to France i guess.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Sporting Life”