World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Toby » 16 May 2018, 21:27

Shelvey is the sort of player that looks good on Match of the Day - but his actual stats aren't that great. Something like 2 goals and 3 assists? Significant issues with his attitude to.

I agree with Pete - this is the sort of squad choice that would have been all but unthinkable even 4 years ago. A manager building a team/squad rather than picking the "best" players and trying to build a team around them. He's gone for fitness and game time as a more important factor than perceived "talent" and I hope it serves him well. It is worth noting that this is our first manager since Hoddle to have significant experience of modern tournaments.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 May 2018, 21:33

Because he's not thinking of using Walker as a FB, maybe? And sees Delph as a crossover between Wing Back and Midfield.

So that really only leaves Trippier, TAA and Rose. And Young as a wing back only (by that I mean I do not see him using Young or Delph as conventional left backs in a four man defence).

Livermore is a weird one - but I'm pretty sure it will emerge that both Wilshere & Lallana were offered the choice as 'reserves' but turned it down.

Shelvey certainly has the talent but... he's a red card in the making and has shown a tendency in the past to completely switch off and not do the defensive stuff. In a team that is unlikely to have masses of possession - that would have been a concern.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 May 2018, 10:28

Oh well, I haven’t been optimistic about England’s chances at a tournament since the 70s so I’m probably just getting in there with my pessimism early!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 May 2018, 11:15

I think we have a reasonable chance of the quarter-finals. By all accounts Panama and Tunisia shouldn't be too difficult to beat, even if it's 1-0 both times. Belgium will be different, but here's hoping that we've accrued six points by then and have a chance to rest some players.

We then face one of Senegal, Colombia or Poland before what is likely to be either Brazil or Germany.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 May 2018, 11:11

From the BBC today :

Wilshere, who has had an injury-plagued career, has left out despite making 38 appearances for Arsenal in the 2017-18 season, including 12 Premier League starts.

He won the last of his 34 England caps in the Euro 2016 defeat by Iceland.

"It goes without saying, I'm incredibly disappointed," said Wilshere.

"I believe I should be in the squad," he added.

"However, I have to respect the manager's decision and would like to wish the whole squad all the very best for the tournament.

"I will always be an England fan and will be supporting the boys with the rest of the nation."

Southgate defended his decision to omit Wilshere.

"Jack Wilshere has of course been in our thoughts," Southgate said on Thursday.

"We selected him in March, but he hasn't played a game for us.

"We've been pleased with the players who played in November and March. The only midfielder we added is Fabian Delph, who had a fantastic season with the champions.

"Jack had a good spell but was maybe not as effective towards the end of the season. We're very open-minded in terms of what we want."

-----------------------

i think you have the answer there for Wilshere's exclusion.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 May 2018, 20:14

Yes, but I don’t remember Alexander-Arnold playing before, yet he’s going as cover in a position we already have stacks of cover.

I’m not sure we have anyone in the squad apart from possibly Dele who can see a defence splitting pass. To see the best of Kane we need the type of service Eriksson can provide. Instead we’ve taken another full back who probably won’t play.

Oh well.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 18 May 2018, 20:30

I've got a 2nd round draw of

Uruguay vs Portugal
France vs Croatia ------- Portugal vs France
Brazil vs South Korea
Belgium vs Senegal ----- Brazil vs Belgium

Spain vs Egypt
Argentina vs Denmark --- Spain vs Argentina
Germany vs Serbia
Colombia vs England ---- England/Colombia (too difficult to call) vs Germany

France/Brazil vs Germany then.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 May 2018, 07:58

Lord Rother wrote:Yes, but I don’t remember Alexander-Arnold playing before, yet he’s going as cover in a position we already have stacks of cover.

I’m not sure we have anyone in the squad apart from possibly Dele who can see a defence splitting pass. To see the best of Kane we need the type of service Eriksson can provide. Instead we’ve taken another full back who probably won’t play.

Oh well.

Maybe we don't have anyone who can provide a defence splitting pass? Maybe Southgate has decided not to waste a pick on what he considers a sub-standard passer (who he's never going to pick anyway) ?

I'm not sure we do have loads of cover at those positions. As I said, I think it's clear he doesn't see Walker as a full back and is looking at him as a centre back. If you then take the premise that he views full back and wing back as different positions (with different required skill sets), which they are, then he really has five players for four positions (six if you include Walker).

As we have both said in the past, we would have taken Wilshere. But he really hasn't knocked the door down to demand a place and I think it's clear from Southgate's comments above, his chance really went when he failed to play in either of the friendlies - but recovered almost immediately to play for his club. It's apparent Southgate wants players who are burning to play for their country and maybe he felt Wilshere failed that test that week.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 19 May 2018, 09:20

Wilshire strikes me as having an enormous ego too, one formed from some promising performances and comments. Potentially disruptive.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2018, 15:20

Latest odds from Betfred:

Brazil 9/2
Germany 9/2
France 11/2
Spain 13/2
Argentina 9/1
Belgium 10/1
England 16/1
Portugal 25/1
Uruguay 25/1
Colombia 28/1
Croatia 33/1
Russia 33/1
Poland 40/1
Sweden 80/1
Mexico 80/1
Switzerland80/1...
The rest really don't matter, do they?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2018, 16:17

The ones to avoid in the office sweep is France - I've just had a tenner each way on them at 11/2 ...............

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 21 May 2018, 20:20

Argentina are good value.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 10:22

Kane is captain then.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 May 2018, 10:26

I'm guessing that with Henderson in the mix too, the importance of the captaincy has been downgraded a bit.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 10:42

Toby wrote:I'm guessing that with Henderson in the mix too, the importance of the captaincy has been downgraded a bit.

I think it may just be the first indication that he may not play Henderson & Dier together.... we all hope....

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 May 2018, 11:11

I'd have a bet on Belgium but I have no confidence in Martinez
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 11:14

Goat Boy wrote:I'd have a bet on Belgium but I have no confidence in Martinez

He certainly put me off :)

However - they have a remarkably strong squad. And they'll score goals, one would hope. It's at the other end where I'd be concerned.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 May 2018, 11:29

Martinez is a legend, I'd love it if a former Latics manager lifted the world cup. Unless it was Steve Bruce. But I'll be supporting Belgium just for that reason alone. You know what, I might even eat chips and drink beer to feel properly Belgian, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 May 2018, 11:46

At least one strong side is going to absolutely blow it this summer of Germany, Spain, France or Brazil. Not sure which one, but at least one favoured side usually cops it in the group stage.

Germany - they don't have an "easy" group but then they aren't playing any other significantly tough teams. Perhaps one issue is that they don't really have an out and out striker (look how long they relied on Klose) but there's such depth in their squad that it shouldn't matter. Reckon they've got the biggest hurdles in terms of results if they, say, fail to win their first group match.

France - Huge quality, enough to get to the final. Their group is relatively benign too, but surprises could happen.

Brazil - perhaps not the pressure of 4 years ago. Switzerland, Serbia and Costa Rica could be problematic though. None are a pushover.

Spain - Could lose against Portugal but massively talented squad with new generation of players. Should beat Morocco and Iran.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 11:56

There is a very valid argument that says France, Spain & Belgium have the strongest squads there.