World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Dr Markus

World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Dr Markus » 17 Oct 2017, 13:17

Don't know where else to post this so fuck it, start another thread.

•Northern Ireland v Switzerland
•Denmark v Rep of Ireland
•Croatia v Greece
•Sweden v Italy

Happy with Denmark, not an easy game but still better than Croatia.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby The Modernist » 17 Oct 2017, 13:52

The Great Defector wrote:
Happy with Denmark.

You won't be saying that when you have to face the might of the great Lord Bendtner!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 Oct 2017, 14:03

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Happy with Denmark.

You won't be saying that when you have to face the might of the great Lord Bendtner!

He still gets a game for Denmark? :shock:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 17 Oct 2017, 14:15

Well only when Jon Dahl Tomasson isn’t fit.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Oct 2017, 14:21

He doesn't necessarily need to play to have an effect on Ireland. Just sitting in the stands, or in bar a hundred miles away, will be enough for Ireland to be intimidated by his aura. That's the presence of the man.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Oct 2017, 14:31

All Ireland need is Roy Keane in full beard glowering at the opposition from the sidelines and the Danes will fucking SHIT IT.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 17 Oct 2017, 15:52

So will the Irish though.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 17 Oct 2017, 16:07

I'm happy that Greece didn't get Italy.
We'll still probably go out as we're a bit shit, but I reckon we match up well with Croatia and we'll at least have a chance against them.
I run out of talent

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Oct 2017, 09:04

It'll be an intriguing tournament, but difficult to see past Spain or Germany at the moment. France maybe, but they strike me as being perennially one tournament away from maturing. Brazil seem to have recovered a bit too.

I'd be surprised if we made the Quarters.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Oct 2017, 20:42

This Germany side are past their best. It'll be between Spain, France and Brazil. Belgium would be in with a shout if they had a better manager.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Oct 2017, 21:24

Germany have huge strength in depth. I don't think they have a great striker, but they're so strong everywhere else.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Oct 2017, 21:44

We'll see. I think it'll be a tournament too far for them.
They have two world class players, that might be enough if other teams fail to shine, but I think they'll fall short. France and Brazil are improving, fairly rapidly.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Nov 2017, 12:15

Have to say the swiss pitch was fucking terrible. There would have been better fields during the famine. You'd think with all the money their making out of holding dodgy bank accounts they could keep a pitch in good nick.
Last edited by Dr Markus on 13 Nov 2017, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Nov 2017, 17:47

I'm looking forward to Italy v Sweden tonight.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 13 Nov 2017, 18:31

Diamond Dog wrote:I'm looking forward to Italy v Sweden tonight.

I’m rooting for Sweden but it’ll be tough. Italy are a team in transition though and with Verratti suspended there’s a lot of pressure on their young, inexperienced attackers: they have to win after all. And Sweden might be in transition themselves after the Zlatan era, but they have a new talisman in the exciting Forsberg, if he can get time and space on the break...

Off down the pub in a bit to watch it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Nov 2017, 22:34

That's a shame. I know their style doesn't always appeal but it won't be quite the same without the Italians.

Great result for Sweden though. Congrats to them
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Nov 2017, 23:43

I shouldn’t complain but Sweden didn’t cover themselves in glory in that game. They’ve generally played quite free and open football and it was disappointing to see them unable to break out of their half properly. Still, some of that defending was truly immense. Andreas Grankvist - European footballer of the year!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Nov 2017, 05:58

Goat Boy wrote:That's a shame. I know their style doesn't always appeal but it won't be quite the same without the Italians.

Great result for Sweden though. Congrats to them

Agree with all of that.

Some remarkably inept refereeing last night -there were at least three, if not four, clear cut penalties (two to either side) that the ref chose to overlook.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 14 Nov 2017, 06:58

You can’t mean the Darmian incident in the second half? The replay quite clearly showed that he comically hurled himself against the Swedish defender. A few minutes on the sideline with wind was what he deserved!

Three clear-cut ones in the first half all waved away, though. After those and an early flurry of yellows it was a surprise things calmed down and nobody got their marching orders.

Anyway well done Sweden. Did the job they needed while Italy looked anxious and unsure. I guess that’s it for Buffon and perhaps those centre-backs too.

I like Italy due to growing up with Football Italia and playing as Roma a lot on Championship Manager, but this is a weak generation and I’m happy that the country where I live has qualified.

Still, I’d rather Italy had gone through than Switzerland, who I’ve never forgiven for that Ukraine match in 2006...

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 14 Nov 2017, 08:44

I might be biased - a little bit - but I thought neither of Italy's penalty shouts were up to much, whereas the two Swedish ones were stone cold. :) And the most obvious one really is no excuse - both linesman and ref had a perfect view of it. I'm also not 100% sure if Sweden's disallowed goal was offside - it looked fine to me but Italian TV never showed a replay.

Either way, irrespective of the negativity of Sweden's play it really is pretty incredible - this is without a doubt the weakest Sweden team since the late 1980s, and yet they've beaten France, Netherlands and Italy to reach the finals for the first time since 2006. Janne Andersson created a fantastic team at IFK Norrkoping and has done it again with the national team and I'm very impressed by how he's stepped up to this level.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Sporting Life”