World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
never/ever

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby never/ever » 22 Jun 2018, 05:54

Considering how tall and organised the Swedish defense was, headed goals (Cahill's speciality) were always going to be hard to come by. Australia needed to be more direct going to goal- Arzani's little darting run on the backline had them in all sorts of trouble and just needed a few more bodies in the box to finish off.
It was rather pleasing to see how they were able to prise the defense open with quick and clever passes but it needed a quality finisher at the end. Cahill is talismanic for Australia and a quality finisher but I can see the need for speed on the whole and Juric and Irvine have that in spades.

With Nabbout out we may see Cahill against Peru though.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 22 Jun 2018, 06:06

trans-chigley express wrote:A shame Australia never got the win their play deserved. Oh for a clinical striker. I don't understand why they don't just put Cahill on for the last 20 mins or so.

you and most of the population of Australia :D
king of the divan

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 22 Jun 2018, 06:53

never/ever wrote:Considering how tall and organised the Swedish defense was, headed goals (Cahill's speciality) were always going to be hard to come by.

Another thing that made it very hard for Australia to beat the Swedes in the air was the fact that the Swedes were at their base in Gelendjik while Australia were playing against Denmark in Samara.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Jun 2018, 07:33

:lol:

Thanks Ed, I'm glad to report the medication is slowly wearing off.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 Jun 2018, 08:33

Modric produced the performance of the tournament so far for me. Outstanding and a timely reminder of his humble genius.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 22 Jun 2018, 09:27

PENK wrote:One thing though - I find it really distasteful showing crying children in the crowd after the last goal went in.

Always the best bit for me.

Especially when it’s adults crying. And when they are in kit and wearing facepaint.

And / or when they are South American.

Or Scottish. (Mind you.... etc. etc.)

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 22 Jun 2018, 09:45

PENK wrote:As for Argentina you can have all the Messis and Agüeros and Higuains and Dybalas in the world but no defenders or midfielders and you’re going to get pumped.

Yes, although your big players also need to show up. Did Messi have one successful pass in the game? He was dreadful. As was Aguera, and Dybala and Higain were substitutes who had zero impact when they came on. One thing that's fairly noticeable is how introverted and depressed Messi looks when things are going bad for him - with someone like Ronaldo, if he's having a bad game he'll be having an absolute fit and try to fight his way back into the game.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2018, 09:45

Lord Rother wrote:
PENK wrote:One thing though - I find it really distasteful showing crying children in the crowd after the last goal went in.

Always the best bit for me.

Especially when it’s adults crying. And when they are in kit and wearing facepaint.

And / or when they are South American.

Or Scottish. (Mind you.... etc. etc.)

Oi!

I don't find it distasteful. They're just kids and will forget most of the trauma anyway. Christ, think of the adults who can remember Iran 78 or Iceland 16!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2018, 09:49

Geezee wrote:
PENK wrote:As for Argentina you can have all the Messis and Agüeros and Higuains and Dybalas in the world but no defenders or midfielders and you’re going to get pumped.

Yes, although your big players also need to show up. Did Messi have one successful pass in the game? He was dreadful. As was Aguera, and Dybala and Higain were substitutes who had zero impact when they came on. One thing that's fairly noticeable is how introverted and depressed Messi looks when things are going bad for him - with someone like Ronaldo, if he's having a bad game he'll be having an absolute fit and try to fight his way back into the game.

I don't think he was dreadful at all but he had hardly any of the ball so what can he do? He had the lowest or 2nd lowest number of touches along with Aguero in the first half of any Argentinian player. And in the 2nd half Argentina were even worse. A total shambles.

I think Messi knew this was going nowhere and he did look down but then what do you expect? This is probably his last world cup and his team were playing like Scotland. Poor cunt.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jun 2018, 10:07

Toby wrote:Modric produced the performance of the tournament so far for me. Outstanding and a timely reminder of his humble genius.

That midfield fulcrum of him and Rakitić is the best in the tourmanent. They work brilliantly together.

I don't know about everyone else but that first goal, after the Caballero meltdown, was absolutely fucking beautiful - 99% of people would have taken a touch and done something sensible, but there was something ominously emphatic about the way Rebic just decided "You're having that back, with interest, you wanker" before slamming that beautiful volley right back past him, to take the lead. From that point on, Argentina were toast. An absolutely stunning goal.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2018, 10:11

Yeah, I was saying that to somebody at work this morning. Normally you'd expect a couple of touches but, nope, he just fucking hit it. Like one of those returns in tennis when the cunt's done a dodgy serve and somebody just blasts a forehand that makes 'em look like a total prick.

Fantastic. I think they are a couple of players short of being a very good team and that defense gives me concern but they are hardly alone in that. And let's face it, nobody really likes Argentina do they? One of the funniest things last night was watching their manager stew on the sidelines.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 Jun 2018, 10:15

He's Chilean - that's the equivalent of a Scot managing England

Croatia will meet Spain if both teams proceed from the top of their groups. That could be a corner.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2018, 10:17

Nah, he's Argentinian.

His eyes were getting bulgier as the match went on.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 Jun 2018, 10:49

Anyone else think Russia are on something? 3 of the top 5 players in terms of distance covered are Russian. FIFA will do nothing of course...

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jun 2018, 10:51

I think they (Croatia) are a very very good side. They don't appear to have any real weaknesses, they are clearly playing for eachother and they look balanced and happy.
They will be a team everyone wants to avoid, I think.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2018, 10:58

Toby wrote:Anyone else think Russia are on something? 3 of the top 5 players in terms of distance covered are Russian. FIFA will do nothing of course...

We'll probably find out about in 20 years time. Let's face it, none of us would be shocked.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 Jun 2018, 10:59

I can guarantee that they will outplay Spain/Portugal and lose on penalties. It's one of those WC heartbreak stories in the making.

They may have peaked too early.

And of course if Nigeria beat Iceland and Argentina beat them in turn, they will still be in the tournament. I agree that Argentina look callow, but it only takes one win in these competitions to turn things around sometimes.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Jun 2018, 11:00

Goat Boy wrote:
Toby wrote:Anyone else think Russia are on something? 3 of the top 5 players in terms of distance covered are Russian. FIFA will do nothing of course...

We'll probably find out about in 20 years time. Let's face it, none of us would be shocked.

Makes me wonder what the Argentinians and French are on. Are Russia dropping ketamine into their water supply?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Jun 2018, 11:03

Jesus! Are you lot so keen to get Jimbo involved here too?

George Carlin

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2018, 11:07

Well it is a possibility and it wouldn't be the first time either. Look at the miracle of Bern