World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
joklend

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby joklend » 17 Jun 2018, 17:52

joklend wrote:Famous last words maybe but I fancy Mexico here.

Not for the first time, I really wish I were a betting man.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Jun 2018, 17:53

Another top quality game. World cup living up to billing so far, well done to Mexico, just sharpen up on those through balls.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Jun 2018, 17:55

The grit they showed - even when you thought their legs had gone .
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2018, 18:07

Germany.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 17 Jun 2018, 18:12

Well, that was an unexpected pleasure. So Sweden are currently second place in the group*, GOOD JOB LADS.

by alphabetical order. if you use the Swedish spelling

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Jun 2018, 18:41

Not the best result for Brazil if Germany qualify second.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2018, 18:48

In all sincerity, that was the most ill disciplined tournament performance by Germany I can recall. Woeful performances from all of the back four (particularly Hummels & Boetang, who were slower than me and Yomp together) Croos was awful, Muller absolutely dreadful, Werner inconsequential.... I think Ozil was probably their best player. And he was poor.

I pity Sweden, because it won;t happen again.
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Jun 2018, 19:20

Tap in.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Jun 2018, 19:21

Ouch!
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 17 Jun 2018, 21:09

God I hope Germany and Brazil end up meeting in the second round...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2018, 21:57

That's been Brazil for 30+ years now - little flashes of greatness but mostly dull, uninspiring and frustrating football. Mixed in with alot of cynicism and diving from the very top drawer.
Cocaine

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 17 Jun 2018, 22:00

Pansy Puff wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I pity Sweden, because it won;t happen again.

I was thinking the same thing.

Don't be so sure. Germany are currently on a terrible run, having not won all year. That flat performance was typical of their recent form. Those players lacked confidence against Mexico, and that won't return easily. I can see them going out at group stage.

Interesting how most of the big names have struggled so far. France managed a win, but looked sluggish, Argentina were one-dimensional and lacking ideas, Brazil were great for twenty minutes than just lost their way, unable to break down a solid Swiss defence. Maybe only Spain and Portugal fully did themselves proud, and they just cancelled each other out.

What an intriguing tournament!

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 17 Jun 2018, 23:38

the masked man wrote:
Pansy Puff wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I pity Sweden, because it won;t happen again.

I was thinking the same thing.

Don't be so sure. Germany are currently on a terrible run, having not won all year. That flat performance was typical of their recent form. Those players lacked confidence against Mexico

But Sweden are dreadful. Really, they are. They did a yeoman’s job getting here, for which: Thanks, guys, genuinely. It was a remarkable achievement. they are the weakest European team there. They should be treated like Iceland. But theyre not quite as good as Iceland.

Today Mexico brought a hugely positive approach to their counterattacks, along with pace technique and ambition among the front three. Well, Germany wont be seeing that next up.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Jun 2018, 08:25

Germany then. It’s only the first game so you don’t want to read too much into things but…

Some of the senior players worryingly did sfa that game. Is Khedira fit? If he is, and you’d have to assume so otherwise why would he start then he his gone. They must have better options in midfield and maybe it’s time for Leon Goretzka to be given a chance. Kroos is not the fastest – he doesn’t need to be – but they looked very slow in the middle of the park yesterday and completely overwhelmed.

I know Kimmich has received some criticism over his lack of tracking back but surely he was just doing was his manager told him to do? Given the fact that it was obvious that Lozano was the danger man for Mexico you would have thought he would have perhaps been not so gung ho on his managers orders, or at least been told that at some point during the first half when it was obvious Mexico were ripping them apart from that flank. Maybe if Khedira had legs he could have provided some cover on the right hand side but it was quite shocking how much space Germany left there.

Muller. Did he touch the ball?

Julian Draxler. Admittedly I don’t watch much football but I’ve not seen anything from Draxler that makes me believe he has something. The lad Brandt came on and did more in 5 minutes than Draxler did the whole game: confident, direct and that was one hell of shot. Surely him or Reus should start. The centre back partnership looked very exposed but with no protection in front of them and Kimmich playing with all the defensive awareness of Xherdan Shaqiri that was to be expected. Still, both were poor.

I know their form has been poor and the pundits were at pains to point out that this was down to experimental selections and perhaps it was. Looking at that performance I would suggest some players might actually be past it or simply happy to coast along on past achievements.

Mexico were great mind and tactically they got it spot on. I'm pleased for them.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Jun 2018, 08:28

Brazil! Oooo Brazil! Brazilian defenders never kick the ball into row z! Oooo, Brazil! Oooo!

A good ten minute spell and that was it. Neymar may be match fit but he wasn't match sharp. That was a great strike from Coutinho mind but this is not a golden generation.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jun 2018, 08:34

They are a lot better than four years ago. However the continual need to play everything through Neymar is a weakness of their play. He attracts so many defenders that if he could learn to release the ball quickly to others the effect could be devastating, instead he is like a kid hogging the ball.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jun 2018, 08:40

the masked man wrote:
Don't be so sure. Germany are currently on a terrible run, having not won all year. That flat performance was typical of their recent form. Those players lacked confidence against Mexico, and that won't return easily. I can see them going out at group stage.

No, they'll qualify for the second round. I'm not that surprised by the performance though, I've thought for some time that this side were on their way down, they've been looking a little over the hill for a while now. Loew has made a big mistake in not taking Sane.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Jun 2018, 08:43

The Modernist wrote:It's funny because Clive Tyldesley mentioned that last night as if it was a positive thing.

He's not playing a computer game.

It'll be an interesting 2nd round of games.

It's funny because Clive Tyldesley mentioned that last night as if it was a positive thing.

He's not playing a computer game.

It'll be an interesting 2nd round of games.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 Jun 2018, 09:20

Germany won the Confederations Cup last year with a B-team. They surely thought they could phone it in this time.

Delighted for Chucky but I now worry that he'll get poached from my club now too.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 18 Jun 2018, 09:33

Germany will qualify - Mexico are a lot better than people give them credit for. Sweden and South Korea aren't. I tipped them to be beaten at the Q-F stage and I will stick with it.

Brazil suffer, like Argentina, from pouring everything through their "best" player. It neutralises people like Willian and Roberto Firmino, who have had terrific seasons, pushing them to the periphery. They are too 'emotional' a side - you can tell that Neymar is the beating heart and it's not a good thing, especially when he clearly isn't fit or in form.

My tip for the trophy, Spain, look like the best team so far.

Return to “Sporting Life”