World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Lord Rother » 18 May 2018, 20:14

Yes, but I don’t remember Alexander-Arnold playing before, yet he’s going as cover in a position we already have stacks of cover.

I’m not sure we have anyone in the squad apart from possibly Dele who can see a defence splitting pass. To see the best of Kane we need the type of service Eriksson can provide. Instead we’ve taken another full back who probably won’t play.

Oh well.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 18 May 2018, 20:30

I've got a 2nd round draw of

Uruguay vs Portugal
France vs Croatia ------- Portugal vs France
Brazil vs South Korea
Belgium vs Senegal ----- Brazil vs Belgium

Spain vs Egypt
Argentina vs Denmark --- Spain vs Argentina
Germany vs Serbia
Colombia vs England ---- England/Colombia (too difficult to call) vs Germany

France/Brazil vs Germany then.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 May 2018, 07:58

Lord Rother wrote:Yes, but I don’t remember Alexander-Arnold playing before, yet he’s going as cover in a position we already have stacks of cover.

I’m not sure we have anyone in the squad apart from possibly Dele who can see a defence splitting pass. To see the best of Kane we need the type of service Eriksson can provide. Instead we’ve taken another full back who probably won’t play.

Oh well.

Maybe we don't have anyone who can provide a defence splitting pass? Maybe Southgate has decided not to waste a pick on what he considers a sub-standard passer (who he's never going to pick anyway) ?

I'm not sure we do have loads of cover at those positions. As I said, I think it's clear he doesn't see Walker as a full back and is looking at him as a centre back. If you then take the premise that he views full back and wing back as different positions (with different required skill sets), which they are, then he really has five players for four positions (six if you include Walker).

As we have both said in the past, we would have taken Wilshere. But he really hasn't knocked the door down to demand a place and I think it's clear from Southgate's comments above, his chance really went when he failed to play in either of the friendlies - but recovered almost immediately to play for his club. It's apparent Southgate wants players who are burning to play for their country and maybe he felt Wilshere failed that test that week.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 19 May 2018, 09:20

Wilshire strikes me as having an enormous ego too, one formed from some promising performances and comments. Potentially disruptive.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2018, 15:20

Latest odds from Betfred:

Brazil 9/2
Germany 9/2
France 11/2
Spain 13/2
Argentina 9/1
Belgium 10/1
England 16/1
Portugal 25/1
Uruguay 25/1
Colombia 28/1
Croatia 33/1
Russia 33/1
Poland 40/1
Sweden 80/1
Mexico 80/1
Switzerland80/1...
The rest really don't matter, do they?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2018, 16:17

The ones to avoid in the office sweep is France - I've just had a tenner each way on them at 11/2 ...............
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 May 2018, 20:20

Argentina are good value.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 10:22

Kane is captain then.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 May 2018, 10:26

I'm guessing that with Henderson in the mix too, the importance of the captaincy has been downgraded a bit.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 10:42

Toby wrote:I'm guessing that with Henderson in the mix too, the importance of the captaincy has been downgraded a bit.

I think it may just be the first indication that he may not play Henderson & Dier together.... we all hope....
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 May 2018, 11:11

I'd have a bet on Belgium but I have no confidence in Martinez
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 11:14

Goat Boy wrote:I'd have a bet on Belgium but I have no confidence in Martinez

He certainly put me off :)

However - they have a remarkably strong squad. And they'll score goals, one would hope. It's at the other end where I'd be concerned.
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 May 2018, 11:29

Martinez is a legend, I'd love it if a former Latics manager lifted the world cup. Unless it was Steve Bruce. But I'll be supporting Belgium just for that reason alone. You know what, I might even eat chips and drink beer to feel properly Belgian, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 May 2018, 11:46

At least one strong side is going to absolutely blow it this summer of Germany, Spain, France or Brazil. Not sure which one, but at least one favoured side usually cops it in the group stage.

Germany - they don't have an "easy" group but then they aren't playing any other significantly tough teams. Perhaps one issue is that they don't really have an out and out striker (look how long they relied on Klose) but there's such depth in their squad that it shouldn't matter. Reckon they've got the biggest hurdles in terms of results if they, say, fail to win their first group match.

France - Huge quality, enough to get to the final. Their group is relatively benign too, but surprises could happen.

Brazil - perhaps not the pressure of 4 years ago. Switzerland, Serbia and Costa Rica could be problematic though. None are a pushover.

Spain - Could lose against Portugal but massively talented squad with new generation of players. Should beat Morocco and Iran.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2018, 11:56

There is a very valid argument that says France, Spain & Belgium have the strongest squads there.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 May 2018, 12:00

Germany - Bernd Leno, Manuel Neuer, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Kevin Trapp, Jerome Boateng, Matthias Ginter, Jonas Hector, Mats Hummels, Joshua Kimmich, Marvin Plattenhardt, Antonio Rudiger, Niklas Sule, Jonathan Tah, Julian Brandt, Julian Draxler, Mario Gomez, Leon Goretzka, Ilkay Gundogan, Sami Khedira, Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Mesut Ozil, Nils Petersen, Marco Reus, Sebastian Rudy, Leroy Sane, Timo Werner

Belgium - Toby Alderweireld, Michy Batshuayi, Christian Benteke, Dedryck Boyata, Yannick Carrasco, Koen Casteels, Nacer Chadli, Laurent Ciman, Thibaut Courtois, Kevin De Bruyne, Mousa Dembele, Leander Dendoncker, Marouane Fellaini, Eden Hazard, Thorgan Hazard, Adnan Januzaj, Christian Kabasele, Vincent Kompany, Jordan Lukaku, Romelu Lukaku, Dries Mertens, Thomas Meunier, Simon Mignolet, Matz Sels, Youri Tielemans, Thomas Vermaelen, Jan Vertonghen, Axel Witsel

France - Hugo Lloris, Steve Mandanda, Alphonse Areola, Djibril Sidibé, Benjamin Pavard, Raphaël Varane, Presnel Kimpembe, Adil Rami, Samuel Umtiti, Lucas Hernandez, Benjamin Mendy, Paul Pogba, N’Golo Kanté, Corentin Tolisso, Blaise Matuidi, Steven N’Zonzi, Thomas Lemar, Kylian Mbappé, Olivier Giroud, Antoine Griezmann, Ousmane Dembélé, Nabil Fékir, Florian Thauvin

Spain - Kepa, De Gea, Reina, Alba, Azpilicueta, Carvajal, Nacho, Monreal, Odriozola, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Thiago Alcantara, Busquets, David Silva, Iniesta, Saul, Koke, Asensio, Apsas, Diego Costa, Rodrigo, Lucas Vazquez

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 May 2018, 18:31

Diamond Dog wrote:There is a very valid argument that says France, Spain & Belgium have the strongest squads there.

Toby wrote:Belgium - Christian Benteke

:)
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

borofan

Postby borofan » 23 May 2018, 18:34

Darkness_Fish wrote:Martinez is a legend, I'd love it if a former Latics manager lifted the world cup. Unless it was Steve Bruce. But I'll be supporting Belgium just for that reason alone. You know what, I might even eat chips and drink beer to feel properly Belgian, too.

You'll need some mayonnaise to put on your chips as well.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Jun 2018, 12:13

Australia playing Czech Rep. in a friendly right now; am watching keenly to see how the team shape up, and if they can at least look a little threatening going forward.

10 mins. in and the Aussies haven't created much. We'll see.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Jun 2018, 12:44

38 mins. in and despite the Czechs having most of the ball for the first half hour, Australia lead 1 - 0 thanks to an opportunistic Leckie finish to a dangerous - if slightly messy - forward thrust on the counter-attack.
After 40 mins both teams seem to be on equal terms; not the classiest of games, quite stop-start with both teams missing passes, and getting their best chances on the counter.

Well, they could have done a lot worse than the final 4 - 0 scoreline; Leckie looked dangerous with the ball at times, and getting 4 in the net from just the 5 or 6 shots they had on goal was excellent if not a bit lucky. No apparent injuries is a plus from what was a good run around.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Sporting Life”