Safe Standing

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Dr Markus

Safe Standing

Postby Dr Markus » 31 Jul 2017, 14:02

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10968715/liverpool-fans-in-favour-of-safe-standing-in-spirit-of-shankly-vote

Liverpool fans have voted in favour of introducing safe standing in a vote run by the Spirit of Shankly supporters' union.

Bit shocked by this. I'm all for safe standing as long as it's thought out logically and some concessions like having just under capacity are made. I just thought with the recent verdict it might still be still raw enough that people would, understandably, vote against this.

It will be interesting to see how this works, and will build some atmosphere at anfield.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

borofan

Re: Safe Standing

Postby borofan » 31 Jul 2017, 17:35

The Great Defector wrote:http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10968715/liverpool-fans-in-favour-of-safe-standing-in-spirit-of-shankly-vote

Liverpool fans have voted in favour of introducing safe standing in a vote run by the Spirit of Shankly supporters' union.

Bit shocked by this. I'm all for safe standing as long as it's thought out logically and some concessions like having just under capacity are made. I just thought with the recent verdict it might still be still raw enough that people would, understandably, vote against this.

It will be interesting to see how this works, and will build some atmosphere at anfield.

Don't hold your breath. It was a purely theroretical vote. For a start, there would have to be a change in the law before even a test of rail seating could be carried out at a Premier League or Championship club. Personally, I'd like to see it, if only because it would be a damn sight safer than all the standing that goes on in seated grounds these days.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 31 Jul 2017, 20:38

there is safe standing at Celtic Park. there are barriers between each row of standing space, so crushes can't happen.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Aug 2017, 12:12

borofan wrote:

Don't hold your breath. It was a purely theroretical vote. For a start, there would have to be a change in the law before even a test of rail seating could be carried out at a Premier League or Championship club. Personally, I'd like to see it, if only because it would be a damn sight safer than all the standing that goes on in seated grounds these days.[/quote]

Yeah I just read it was theoretical after you mentioned it, even still, a bit shocked. It would be class to be able to stand and while chanting and cheering on the team. Somehow trying to do that sitting down is a bit shit, and you can't stand up for fear of getting a "sit down t'fuck" from behind you.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Aug 2017, 12:31

I'm not shocked, I would expect any real football fan to vote for this. Previous tragedies have more to do with poor design and policing than standing being dangerous in itself.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Aug 2017, 12:35

The Modernist wrote:I'm not shocked, I would expect any real football fan to vote for this. Previous tragedies have more to do with poor design and policing than standing being dangerous in itself.

For all the times I've watched arsenal since they move stadium I've never noticed standing in the emirates, is there?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Aug 2017, 12:44

The Great Defector wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I'm not shocked, I would expect any real football fan to vote for this. Previous tragedies have more to do with poor design and policing than standing being dangerous in itself.

For all the times I've watched arsenal since they move stadium I've never noticed standing in the emirates, is there?

No official standing as far as I know. It's like anywhere else, people tend to rise to their feet if there's goal mouth action, but basically everyone sits.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Aug 2017, 13:24

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

No official standing as far as I know. It's like anywhere else, people tend to rise to their feet if there's goal mouth action, but basically everyone sits.

They stay seated alot there then ;)
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Aug 2017, 14:26

if only someone had mentioned a stadium in the UK that had a safe standing area......
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Aug 2017, 15:21

Yeah I'm not shocked at all. I think a lot of fans are pissed off about the whole seating thing and consider it detrimental to atmosphere.

Who the hell wants to watch football sitting down anyway?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Sporting Life”