Premiership predictions 17/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Premiership predictions 17/18

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jun 2017, 16:08

I know it's early with many of the clubs yet to make significant moves in the transfer market, but I'd like to hear some initial thoughts anyway. I'll maybe revise my initial predictions later on depending on what they'll all do over the summer.

Think Chelsea have enough momentum and strength to break the pattern of teams failing to secure back to back premiership wins. But they won't win it with the ease of last season. Spurs will again be strong, but I'm not sure there's that much more to come from them as they are -they may have plateaued. This summer's transfer market will be very important for them if they're to maintain progression. Both Manchester clubs will improve. Liverpool and Arsenal will be more or less the same.

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Spurs
4. Man Utd
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool.

RELEGATION

18. Watford - the instability of constant managerial changes will come home to roost next season I think. They were poor for large parts of last season and it's something of a wonder that they managed to stay up as easily as they did.
19. Burnley - Think teams will be more savvy in knowing how to pick up points at Turf Moor. They'll struggle to maintain such an excellent home record (which was comprised of very narrow wins for the most part). The likely loss of Michael Keane will be a big blow.
20. Huddersfield - Despite having an excellent manager, I don't think they'll have enough quality in key positions.

To be honest most of the teams below about 7th or 8th were poor last season, so I can see a number of teams being potentially involved this season. Unlike last season, where the bottom three was established relatively early, I think we'll see about six teams fighting it out.

Dr Markus

Re: Premiership predictions 17/18

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Jun 2017, 16:31

6TH?, FUCKING 6TH?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jun 2017, 16:39

The Great Defector wrote:6TH?, FUCKING 6TH?

:D

If it's any consolation I think the points difference between the top six will much narrower this season.
I do rate what Klopp is doing at Liverpool, I really do, but I think to mount a serious title challenge you will need to bring in 3 or 4 really excellent signings who can hit the ground running. I'm sceptical you can pull that off.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Jun 2017, 17:21

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:6TH?, FUCKING 6TH?

:D

If it's any consolation I think the points difference between the top six will much narrower this season.
I do rate what Klopp is doing at Liverpool, I really do, but I think to mount a serious title challenge you will need to bring in 3 or 4 really excellent signings who can hit the ground running. I'm sceptical you can pull that off.

Yeah so am I, but we did barely come 4th without a big team and dropping points to team we should have beat on paper. While the other teams will obviously beef up their teams also, I think we have a good chance of getting 4th place again.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jun 2017, 17:32

Yeah, I certainly think you'll be in the mix for that.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 15 Jun 2017, 19:36

Everton will win the league obviously
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Jun 2017, 17:40

Frank de Boer: Crystal Palace set to appoint Dutchman as manager

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40371643

If Parish backs him, he could do very well. Though the cynic in me says he's using palace as a stepping stone. It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jun 2017, 18:33

Best odds for the title :
Man City 2/1
Chelsea 7/2
Man Utd 7/2
Spurs 9/1
Liverpool 12/1
Arsenal 14/1

I've just invested on Spurs. A big price for a team who have been second and third the past two seasons.
For the life of me I don't get how Man City can be virtually half the price of Chelsea or Man Utd the same price as Chelsea. At 7/2, Chelsea are a great price to retain the title but I just fancy the Tottenham odds more.

Relegation Odds (these are the best prices for that team to go down):
Huddersfield 8/13
Brighton 5/4
Burnley 7/5
Watford 7/4
Swansea 5/2
Newcastle 9/2
Bournemouth 6
WBA 6/1
Stoke 15/2
West Ham 10/1
Leicester 16/1
Southampton 25/1
Everton... fuck off!

Again, I cannot see why Burnley are more favoured for the drop than either Watford, Swansea or Newcastle. Southampton at 25/1 may be worth a cheeky investment though....
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 23 Jun 2017, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 23 Jun 2017, 09:56

The Great Defector wrote:
Frank de Boer: Crystal Palace set to appoint Dutchman as manager

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40371643

If Parish backs him, he could do very well. Though the cynic in me says he's using palace as a stepping stone. It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

He needs to improve his standing after the disaster at Inter. Rather than looking at another job at one of the bigger teams.

Had to laugh at the description of him as "humble" the one thing the De Boer twins haven't lacked over the years is self confidence and monumental egos.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Premiership 2017/18

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Aug 2017, 14:41

Just under 2 weeks to the big kick off.

I'm excited. It promises to be a terrific season as ever - lots of good players on view and not too much being siphoned off elsewhere. It's difficult to tell who will be the winners as a number of clubs will be jousting for position all along the way.

I won't make a prediction because it'll be wrong. I'd like to see Liverpool or Spurs win it because they resemble something approaching what is good and great about the game in their managers. All the others can jog on frankly, particularly Chelsea, despite me having a bit of affection for their coach who looks like a well-dressed Jim Dale from the Carry On movies.

I hope Everton, who are probably the only club in the Prem who aren't threatened by relegation or likely finish in the Top 6, make a shot for the Top 4 at the expense of a top club as I like Koeman and have warmed to the Toffees over the years. I also hope that now Lukaku has left, West Ham can beat them.

I'd like to see Brighton or Huddersfield stay up.

I'd also like West Ham to sustain a tiny bit of consistency and finish in the Top half.

Outside of the Premiership I'd like to see a North East club win something like a Cup, just because it's been too long for that region.

borofan

Re: Premiership 2017/18

Postby borofan » 02 Aug 2017, 17:29

None of those teams play in the Premiership. That is a rugby union competition. They play in the PREMIER LEAGUE and have done for years.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Aug 2017, 19:05

Oh jog on you pedantic cock.

borofan

Postby borofan » 03 Aug 2017, 17:46

Toby wrote:Oh jog on you pedantic cock.

Not pedantic, just right, you tosspot.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Aug 2017, 08:16

1. Chelsea - I've already backed Spurs but their lack of activity in the transfer market concerns me greatly. Chelsea, meanwhile, have bought superbly and have a squad plenty strong enough to cope with the additional European demands.
2. Spurs - unless they get a couple of players in before the end of the month, I think runners up is the best they can realistically achieve.
3. Man City - I can't see this team pulling together in one season. I'm not even sure the players they've brought in are that good. They certainly don't address their major problem - conceding goals.
4. Man Utd - As above. I think they'll be just as grim as last season and grind their way to less than 60 goals and just sneak fourth. It won't be pretty.
5. Arsenal - They have addressed their problems up front hopefully - I just don't think they're good enough all round to get into the top four.
6. Liverpool - I think the continued transfer talk with Coutinho can't help, and losing Lallana for at least two months mean they're short in midfield too.

RELEGATION

18. Watford - I hope they go down. They deserve to because of their managerial policy.
19. Swansea - Likewise.
20. Huddersfield - I hope they stay up but I think they'll be hopelessly outgunned. They may grab a few points early, but the lack of class throughout the squad will condemn them.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Aug 2017, 12:13

1. Chelski
2. Man Scumited
3. Man City
4. the 'pool
5. Arsanal.....

Don't care who drops off.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Aug 2017, 14:57

We shall see early on whether Spurs will be affected by playing at Wembley as they have Chelsea as their first home game. Their recent success has been built on White Hart lane being a fortress, so it will be critical for them to start playing well early on..

Personally I think it might take a toll because other clubs will be buoyed by playing there, so 2nd is a bit hopeful.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 06 Aug 2017, 21:03

I'm supremely confident that not only will Huddersfield be top of the table all season but we will gain automatic promotion to the next league above this one.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Aug 2017, 21:17

While we're here... let's have a separate choice of first EPL manager to leave the job (in whichever manner).

I'm going to go for Clement at Swansea (closely followed by Shakespeare at Leicester).
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Aug 2017, 22:16

Diamond Dog wrote:While we're here... let's have a separate choice of first EPL manager to leave the job (in whichever manner).

I'm going to go for Clement at Swansea (closely followed by Shakespeare at Leicester).

Mark Hughes.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 07 Aug 2017, 09:48

It's entirely feasible that West Ham could have a shocking start to the season and Bilic is not at all safe in terms of his position.

Return to “Sporting Life”